Tuesday Nl Challenge 4/14/15

MariJ

This week we are exploring the world of Art Journaling which means it's "All About YOU"!

An Art Journal is like a written diary except instead of words it's a collage made with art. While occasionally altered photos are used, we encourage "no photos" because they push us into the "typical layout" trap. Instead we use special symbols/embellishments, word art and/or journaling to represent our thoughts and feelings. These symbols don't have to be literal, for example you can use a heart to show love, a little cartoon girl to represent yourself, create a vivid background to show excitement or use dark colors to show sadness. Word art can be scattered around and your own written journaling can be added or even "hidden" on your page if you'd rather keep it private. And, since Art Journaling is personal and has no rules, "anything goes". Nothing is ever wrong. It's "All About You"!

An Art Journaling starting point is called a "Prompt" and for this challenge our prompt is:

"Something I Love About Myself".

Read the prompt and sit with it, how does it feel in you, what comes to mind, what thoughts does it bring?

Create a background that shows what you'd like to portray. Choose colors or textures that express what you feel. (Hint: background blenders, SS papers or templates can be helpful.)

Next, find special symbols or embellishments and add word art or create journaling that show "Something I Love About Myself". Brushes can also be stamped or brushed on your page.

Throw everything onto your background collage-style and play! Move your pieces around and add/delete until you are ok with your page. Have fun!

Remember that what's most important about Art Journaling is that it's personal and "All About YOU", so each individual layout will interpret a prompt differently, sometimes dramatically so. Check out today's ScrapGirls Newsletter to see some of our Creative Team's "Inspired Scraps" layout examples and for even more inspiration take a look in the Art Journaling Gallery.

We're interested in learning more about you through your digital Art Journaling layout. When it is completed please post it in the Art Journaling Gallery for all of us to share and add a link here in this thread. I can't wait to see what you create!

If you have any questions, please post them here in this thread and we will be happy to assist.

Even better -- our monthly Art Journaling Chat is tonight, Tuesday April 14th at 9PM ET! Please come and join Jody and I to talk about Art Journaling, our prompt and ourselves. It's always a fun time and we'd love to see you there. :)

Here's my layout using Syndee's Free Mini Kit (see post #2 for details). I will post a second page later this evening to coordinate with the Art Journaling chat tonight.

Marilyn's Layout

And a wonderful

Layout from Jody

To help you get started, the entire ART JOURNALING category in the boutique is on SALE HERE for two days only, so now's your chance to pick up some new items to use in your layout!

Even better - Syndee Nuckles has created a ONE TIME ONLY free Art Journaling Mini Kit with purchase of the Value Pack: Art Dolls.

Check out the free Mini Kit and the weeklong ScrapGirls' Art Journaling event in today's newsletter HERE. And, remember these specials are only available for TWO days - April 14 and 15. :)

After this time, the free Mini Kit will not be sold in the Boutique so grab it while you can! :eekout:

Guest Doris R

I really had to think about this...it is hard to state something I "love about myself". As I rode my exercise bike this morning, I thought about it. When I got off the phone with my daughter I thought about it some more. I know my daughter appreciates all I do for her, and I appreciate that she doesn't take me for granted, then I realized that I am an appreciative person. I enjoy so much, hearing music, children laughing, birds singing; seeing the beautiful stars at night or pictures in the clouds on a sunny day; feeling the warmth of a hug; the smell of flowers...even with my allergies and coffee brewing. I appreciate all these things and so much more...I think its a good trait to have so here is my AJ page.

http://scrapgirls.net/forum/gallery/image/157480-appreciative/

Doris, your page and journaling is wonderful and your words here are almost like music. Lovely.....

I really had to think about this...it is hard to state something I "love about myself". As I rode my exercise bike this morning, I thought about it. When I got off the phone with my daughter I thought about it some more. I know my daughter appreciates all I do for her, and I appreciate that she doesn't take me for granted, then I realized that I am an appreciative person. I enjoy so much, hearing music, children laughing, birds singing; seeing the beautiful stars at night or pictures in the clouds on a sunny day; feeling the warmth of a hug; the smell of flowers...even with my allergies and coffee brewing. I appreciate all these things and so much more...I think its a good trait to have so here is my AJ page.

http://scrapgirls.net/forum/gallery/image/157480-appreciative/

Archived