Picasa "lost" My Folders ?

SodScrap

I have used Picasa successfully for quite some time. Thank you Amy for the blog article (Using Picasa to Organize Your Scrap Supplies) that helped me get is set up "just right".

Today, after unzipping and filing my newest purchase, I opened Picasa so it could scan the new files. It didn't start scanning automatically as usual. Then I looked at it, and it doesn't have ANYTHING. It's blank. I have had this happen in the past. So now I have to select the file(s) again, and start the scan ALL over....(grrrr)

Has anyone had this happen to them? Any idea WHY this happened??

Hi Conda,

I use Picasa all the time (LOVE it), and I've never had that happen. I guess I should knock on wood huh? Sorry I'm no help to you...

Hopefully you'll get it all back to normal soon.

Hi Conda,

Don't panic yet - check your search bar. Did you leave something in there by accident? That's happened to me before.

If that's not the culprit, close the program, and re-open it. If that's still not the culprit, try a full reboot. I've had what you experienced once maybe twice before, and any of the above took care of it.

Let me know how it goes, ok? Also, I've noticed in the past few weeks there is an upgrade that I keep denying because I have so much invested in the version I have, It's not worth messing with. To me anyway. If you downloaded the new version then I hope it's not related that.

Hi Conda,

Don't panic yet - check your search bar. Did you leave something in there by accident? That's happened to me before.

If that's not the culprit, close the program, and re-open it. If that's still not the culprit, try a full reboot. I've had what you experienced once maybe twice before, and any of the above took care of it.

Let me know how it goes, ok? Also, I've noticed in the past few weeks there is an upgrade that I keep denying because I have so much invested in the version I have, It's not worth messing with. To me anyway. If you downloaded the new version then I hope it's not related that.

Thank you Amy!! I shut down the system. Will boot up after bit and see what happens and let you know.

I did notice, however....that the EHD drive was E: so that is where Picasa scans. Now, it shows F: and my CD/DVD drive is E:. ??? What???? How can that just randomly change?? And why oh why would it do that???

How frustrating - but it looks like you might have found the cause of the problem. I'm a recent convert to Picassa. The only problem I've encountered was that it once changed all my options in the Folder Manager from Scan Always to Scan Once which meant that it never picked up my new additions. Again, apparently random!!

I did notice, however....that the EHD drive was E: so that is where Picasa scans. Now, it shows F: and my CD/DVD drive is E:. ??? What???? How can that just randomly change?? And why oh why would it do that???

This is not uncommon. As you plug in an external hard drive, a memory stick, your phone or camera, etc., Windows reassigns the drive letters to the next available drive letter. As soon as you remove your media, the drive letter can be assigned to a different media. So if you plug in your external hard drive and it shows, for example "F", then you just need to tell Picassa to look in drive F.

I have read that there is software that you can get that will manage drive letters. I take it to mean that it can recognize a particular media (such as a Western Digital 1TB external hard drive) and permanently assign it the drive letter of your choice.

This is not uncommon. As you plug in an external hard drive, a memory stick, your phone or camera, etc., Windows reassigns the drive letters to the next available drive letter. As soon as you remove your media, the drive letter can be assigned to a different media. So if you plug in your external hard drive and it shows, for example "F", then you just need to tell Picassa to look in drive F.

I have read that there is software that you can get that will manage drive letters. I take it to mean that it can recognize a particular media (such as a Western Digital 1TB external hard drive) and permanently assign it the drive letter of your choice.

Thank you Linda.

I know it does this for removable drives...but even the dvd/cd drive? I thought that was odd.

This is interesting. Hopefully it's that simple and it switched drives on you.

I seem to remember somewhere that I told Picasa to remember the drive letters so that if I switched my EHD from one computer to another it would remember the drive and not make everything all whacky. I'll have to poke around and see if I can find that. Hmmm. I'll have to see what I can find on that.

So...I did some "googling"...and found where I can rename letters in Windows 8. And, it worked. Picasa is scanning my new files and the old ones are there!! :D Doesn't answer why...

Amy, I'll be anxious to hear if you find that setting....I will do some searching as well.

THANK YOU LADIES!! You are THE BEST!!!

I know it does this for removable drives...but even the dvd/cd drive? I thought that was odd.

Yes, that is odd. I am not sure, but if a secondary drive is periodically going offline, that would leave its letter open for another drive to grab.

Yes, that is odd. I am not sure, but if a secondary drive is periodically going offline, that would leave its letter open for another drive to grab.

Makes me wonder if there is a problem with my cd/dvd drive....

And that makes since, since it was then "e" the next would be "f"...but I have never know the cd drive to change. Gremlins I guess!!

I'm not finding what I'm remembering for Picasa. I did find on my GoodSync back up program that it asks me if I want it to remember the drive letters, so that might be part of what I'm remembering. Also recently when I got a new computer I backed up my Picasa and I think that might have been where it asked if I wanted to remember the drive letters. That's probably not much help. :(

On the hard drive issue, I'd make sure you have a current back up. :-) Several years ago I had a drive that would disappear from the list every so often- and almost give me a heart attack. We never lost any data, but we did have issues with the drive letters like you mentioned. When Bob was copying the drive prior to replacing it, it would shut down because it was overheating or something. It took several days to get the data off it, but If I'm going to have a drive fail, I much prefer that to an empty unrecoverable one.

I'm not finding what I'm remembering for Picasa. I did find on my GoodSync back up program that it asks me if I want it to remember the drive letters, so that might be part of what I'm remembering. Also recently when I got a new computer I backed up my Picasa and I think that might have been where it asked if I wanted to remember the drive letters. That's probably not much help. :(

Thanks for looking into it Amy! Is GoodSync a syncing program? (similar to SyncToy?)

On the hard drive issue, I'd make sure you have a current back up. :-) Several years ago I had a drive that would disappear from the list every so often- and almost give me a heart attack. We never lost any data, but we did have issues with the drive letters like you mentioned. When Bob was copying the drive prior to replacing it, it would shut down because it was overheating or something. It took several days to get the data off it, but If I'm going to have a drive fail, I much prefer that to an empty unrecoverable one.

Thanks for the heads up April. I sort of wondered. The main drive hasn't changed....I don't really have files on the computer since it's my (scrapping) laptop. I DO need to back up my EHD to my desktop and it's EHD.....

... Several years ago I had a drive that would disappear from the list every so often- and almost give me a heart attack. We never lost any data, but we did have issues with the drive letters like you mentioned...

Anyone seeing this happen frequently should be advised that this is a possible indicator of a failing hard drive.

... Several years ago I had a drive that would disappear from the list every so often- and almost give me a heart attack. We never lost any data, but we did have issues with the drive letters like you mentioned...

Anyone seeing this happen frequently should be advised that this is a possible indicator of a failing hard drive.

Oohhhh... Good warning, Linda!

Sorry if I wasn't clear that we replaced the drive because it was failing. :)

Hi, April,

Yes, it wasn't a warning for you as you had already replaced the failing hard drive. I just wanted to let people know that failing hard drives will do that drive letter thing.

I've been watching, and they haven't changed since I renamed them. *fingers crossed*

I figured out what caused it! Tonight when I plugged in my card reader to transfer photos...it took the drive letter that Picasa recognizes. Even though the other drive was already plugged in and the "E" drive...it changed to "F"..now to rename it again....

I figured out what caused it! Tonight when I plugged in my card reader to transfer photos...it took the drive letter that Picasa recognizes. Even though the other drive was already plugged in and the "E" drive...it changed to "F"..now to rename it again....

YAY! Glad you figured out the cause! :)

Archived