Insd Design Basics 101 Chat 12 Pm (Et)

Join Tiza (Theresa R) and SodScrap (Conda) for Layout Design Basics 101. We will discuss basic design design principles and encourage/challenge you to use them as the foundation for creating your layout.

Your challenge is to create a layout using the design principles below. See how many you can use.

Don't miss the free template created for us, you can get it on the blog here: Celebrate iNSD 2015 with a FREE Layout Template!

Please post your layout in the iNSD Gallery

Design Basics 101

1. Rule of Thirds-This suggests that a layout should be imagined as divided into nine equal parts by two equally spaced horizontal lines and two equally spaced vertical lines, and that focal point element(s) should be placed along their intersections or along the lines. Aligning a subject or focal point with these points creates a more interesting composition than a centered subject.
  2. Focus-identify the focal point, this is the first thing the eye will see. (usually a photo, the main photo if multiple photos are used)
  3. Space-1) white space (empty space) is needed to give the viewer's eye a rest. 2) trapped space is blocked off from the rest of the white space and is awkward for the eye
  4. Threes-repeat embellishments. Have three flowers, three buttons, etc.
  5. Scale-vary the size of your embellishments. For example, if you use 3 snowflakes, they do not need to be the same size. Varying the sizes is more interesting for the eye.
  6. Color Scheme-use a color scheme (one main color and three coordinating colors)-use the photo or patterned paper to tie them together
  7. Realism - connect elements by overlapping and clustering them, but keep it realistic (don’t overlap a flat element over a bulky one or type text over a flower). Think "Could I do this if I was paper scrapping?". No, you could not (typically) write on top of the flower.
  8. Repeat-this is a simple design principle and is often overlooked. Repeat a color. Repeat a certain embellishment (flower). Use the same pattern or texture across multiple elements. If you have a chevron background, incorporate a chevron ribbon and button.
  9. Title -not all layouts need a title, however titles should generally be larger and more prominent than journal text or subtitles.
  10. Journal-sometimes the photo tells your story, but often you need to add some journaling to document the memory.
  11. Direct inward – keep pictures and elements directed toward the center to keep the eye on the page. (a photo facing the edge leads the eye off of the page)
  12. Shadows-Shadows offer a great final touch. Keep in mind how shadows look naturally. You wouldn't want a large shadow on you background papers. Likewise you would want a small shadow on your top flower.

Ugh--I'll be at the ballyard today. Why would these guys plan games on iNSD? Maybe I can take my iPad?

What is wrong with them??? Don't they consult the calendar first???

I know a lot of members chat from their iPads! Maybe you can do both...good luck to the team!

The nurse at the docks office was so slow - I was there for over an hour just to get a shot. So I missed this chat. I should have taken my iPad with me, but I did not think it would take so long.

I am so sorry I missed this chat, I had to do an errand and it took longer than it should have - I got home here FOUR minutes before the chat was over. :( The Layout Design Basics are great Conda.

Archived