Unzipped Files Encrypted

LisaLynn

I have been trying to use several collections (JSM_YouMeUs, JSM_Nip&Tuck, EMA_SnapOutOfIt and LLO_SSPaper_SignsTimes). I have found that I cannot view or open these files because they are encrypted, they show up with green file names in Windows Explorer and Bridge.

I've researched this (see some excerpts below that I copied from various forums) and found that this is an error made by Windows 7 when it unzips zipped files from a Mac user. In unzipping the file, it encrypts them. (Google "green folders from Mac zip files" for more explanation as well as my excerpts below.) If you know about this up front you can unencrypt them by going into the Properties, Advanced, and unchecking the box for "encrypt contents to secure files".

But here's the catch: you can do this, IF you are still working on the original computer that you downloaded them onto. However, in my case I downloaded them on to my old computer. Which I no longer have. I have a new upgraded computer with all my files copied on to it. This means that I get an error when I try to unencrypt them, which says "You will need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes." When I click Continue, as it instructs, I then get the error telling me that "Access is denied".

When I dig further into the problem it appears that because the original computer is not available, therefore the administrator for that computer is not available, and that is what the system is looking for. Without it, I cannot get permission to view or open the files or to unencrypt them.

If anyone knows a way to get these unencrypted so that I can use them, will you help me!?

If no one knows of a way, then everyone downloading using Win 7 should immediately unencrypt any and all files that show up with green file names so that you don't run into this encryption problem when you eventually move/upgrade to a different computer.

Excerpts copied from various forums to further explain issues:

"An interesting little bug in the process of creating a .zip file on a mac and moving it over to a Windows computer.

When the Mac system encrypts the files, it marks them with the attribute of being UNIX based files. Correct considering the Mac operating system is based on UNIX. The problem arises at the Windows end. Because Windows is created by the most arrogant computer company in the world, it does not recognise that a .zip file could have been created with a computer that is not running Windows. It fails to correctly see the flag as UNIX and marks the files as Encrypted."

Talking about why unchecking the "encrypt contents to secure files" in the properties tab does not solve the problem:

"This only works if you are still using exactly the same user account on the original machine. If your files transfer and you try to open them under a new account it doesn’t matter if your administrator and owner, you cannot break the encryption because the encrypt keys are bound to original account. In other words, you’re screwed."

Oh dear that doesn't sound good. If I understand correctly this only happens when moving the files from a Mac to a Windows computer?

If your encrypted files are non-retired ScrapGirls ones, contact Angie and she can help you redownload them.

So sorry this happened and thanks for the warning and sharing all your research.

Yep, only Mac zipped files that are unzipped by Windows 7, and as I understand there is some way the Mac user can prevent this but I don't know what it is, and at this point that doesn't help me. And if I had known what the green text meant when I first unzipped them I could have unencrypted them then very simply using the Properties dialog box. But I didn't know that the green text meant anything, and the new computer doesn't know the encryption key that the old computer used to encrypt them. I have not been able to find any fix at all, although I see that Windows 8 fixed the problem going forward. As there are only 4 collections, all recent I think, I will email Angie. And maybe I should post a message about seeing green text for unzipped files, just so people know those files are encrypted and that they should immediately unencrypt them.

Yeah, it's been an issue since Vista was introduced. That's along with the issues of unzipping files with longer file names (it got very touchy with Vista) That's why I always recommend using an outside extraction program rather than the one built into windows. I use extractnow.com and never run into these issues.

As always Angie has fixed the problem for me. Just another example of why ScrapGirls is the best company out there!

Using a better extraction program if you are using Win 7 is a great idea.

Just to recap, if you are using Windows and see green file names on your files, know that those indicate that the files are encrypted by Windows and that you should un-encrypt them RIGHT AWAY! You won't have any problem if you don't as long as you don't change computers, but if for any reason you move to a new computer when you copy your files on to it you won't be able to access any files that were encrypted by your previous computer.

Un-encrypting is easy as long as you are on the same computer. Just go to Properties, General Tab, Advanced button, uncheck "Encrypt contents to secure data", click OK, make sure it is set to un-encrypt all subfolders and files also, then OK again. The unencrypted file names turn black, and you know you're safe.

I agree, Angie is awesome when anyone needs help. Glad she was able to help you with your problem, LisaLynn. :)

Also, here's another vote for Extract Now - I've used it for years and love it.

I agree, Angie is awesome when anyone needs help. Glad she was able to help you with your problem, LisaLynn. :)

Also, here's another vote for Extract Now - I've used it for years and love it.

Angie's the best! I haven't tried Extract Now but it sounds great. Although I have Windows 8 on my desktop computer and the extraction difficulty LisaLynn described is no longer a problem. It ended with Windows 7.

I encountered the same problem as LisaLynn did when I upgraded to a new computer and copied files from Carbonite to the new computer. Fortunately, Angie sent me links to the files I couldn't use. I just went through all my ScrapGirls files and "unencrypted" the ones with green titles. I'll try ExtractNow.com from now on.

Archived