Has Anyone Downloaded Windows 10?

Ande43

Carol, I am not a computer technology person but I am hesitant to upgrade from my Windows 7. I am happy with what I can do and I have so many different softwares on my computer I am concerned some may play up with Windows 10. I think I will not upgrade and just stick with what I have until I ever need a completely new computer somewhere in the future as I know they do not last forever.

I did a web search and noticed one person mention their Photoshop CS6 played up when they installed Windows 10 and that is the software I use.

I am sure someone with more knowledge will answer your question better and I will also be interested in others viewpoints.

I took the plunge. Upgraded last night (and prayed) and let it go while I went to bed. Woke up this morning to a fresh new OS. So far so good. It looks like all my settings and programs are still in place and operational. I'm coming from Win7.

I'll keep you all posted on how it works going forward if you're interested and answer any question if I can.

I did some research on Windows 10 and what I read, I don't like. It seems that they are saying that it's free, which it is now. But down the line when you have to get updates, they will be charging for them. Whenever a large company offers something for 'free', I figure there is something lurking in the background that will cost you money. I also read that there are privacy/tracking issues and some things you can't change. So for now, I'll stay with Windows 8.1 until I have to buy a new computer and it comes with Windows 10. Took me long enough to get used to 8, it came with my new computer, after using Vista for so long. I'm still not happy with 8, but I'm stuck with it. I'll be interested in what else you have to say about 10, Elisha.

From what I understand - but I could be wrong - what they will want to charge for is the apps, not updates. Apps like cloud storage, music, etc. that work especially with Win10. I can work around apps.

I'm with Elisha. I upgraded and I'm liking it. It's a decent blend between Windows 7 and 8. I also agree about the apps. Our phones upgrade for free all the time and then we pay for the apps we want. It looks like Microsoft is just moving in the direction that our phones have gone.

Thanks for all the opinions....I think I will stick with 7 until I am forced to change....keep us posted tho, I may change my mind on a moments noticed LOL

I upgraded nearly two weeks ago and love it. I upgraded from 8.1, we had a few issues to get it to upgrade but once it was sorted it's been running fine.

The one thing I have noticed is a noticeable increase in running speed, everything loads so much quicker. I have no regrets so far.

I understood the same as Elisha, the basic system will be free, it will be all the apps and add-ons that they will start charging for.

One thing I read somewhere is that you no longer have the card games the older versions have and also no Media Centre for playing videos. They are items you will have to pay for.

I have both of those, Anne-Marie, but I upgraded from windows 8 that may make a difference.

Everything is headed in the same way as phones, like Monica said, this is the future unfortunately. At least my laptop won't be full of apps that Microsoft think I need, I'll only add what I want.

Have to add in it's the same thing with Apple. I have a new MacBook - upgraded from an old 2008 laptop so there's a huge difference in the OS and what's there, etc. Biggest thing? Many things have been altered to match iPhones and iPads! I don't have either.

I upgraded a few days ago and 10 didn't automatically recognize my graphics drivers, so I had to go download them manually. Besides that, I haven't had issues. I am just on the steep learning curve since everything looks so different than in Win7.

I just downloaded Windows 10. So far, yuck. Everything has changed. Every time I minimize either my 'file explorer' or my internet page, when I maximize the page it comes up really small. Most of my games have problems when I try to open them. So far the only thing I like is that there are no apps when I boot up my system (I know that's showing my age), it goes straight to my desktop. All my colors have changed in Firefox and Yahoo!. Is anyone else having these or similar problems? Also, the program that someone here at SG told us about that shows icons of what you are looking at, especially styles, is gone. Does anyone remember what it was called?

Time to kick back and shut this stupid computer down.

Carol, XPS Viewer is a download thing that shows what brushes and PSD files look like.

Carol, XPS Viewer is a download thing that shows what brushes and PSD files look like.

I found the file under Argus Preset Viewer. However, no matter what I do it doesn't work. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing to no avail. Sent email to the company and their answer was to follow the instructions in the install file, which I've already done many times. So I tried it again. No luck. Went back to their website and downloaded their 'lite' subscription. No luck. Windows 10, :throw::angry2: not liking it too much right now.

Not only am I having trouble with Preset Viewer, all of my games are acting wonky. They all look squished and I can't enlarge them. Not happy. :angry2:

Well, after spending hours (and I do mean hours) trying to search for some information on the internet, I found some decent information that helped. The only thing was that it didn't mention that you had to go into Adobe>PSE>Presets>Styles (or brushes, shapes) and make sure that preview pane was selected (under View). That makes all the difference. I found this out by looking real close at the instruction sheet thumbnail and looking across the top where you see the path that was used. Gee, wasn't that nice of them to be so helpful. :angry2:

Good luck to you too MariJ.

Bob installed it yesterday on an older laptop. He was happily surprised. He went into it expecting to hate it.

He did a clean install, not an upgrade. He's not having any trouble with it at all, though there were a few bios issues on the install, but it was because it was so old.

I'm finding that it's not all that different. If I can't find what I'm looking for, I can usually find it with the "Ask me anything" bar. Minor hiccup was that I found I was no longer connected to my home network via our "homegroup." I had a little freak out because I didn't remember and couldn't find the password! Fortunately, I haven't upgraded my husband's laptop, and I was able to get the password from his computer.

When I got my new computer it came with Windows 8 and I noticed occasionally that when I closed my laptop the next time I opened it the start button wouldn't be there. This was a pain in the neck as I like to leave my programs open sometimes for days. I learned to save my things just in case. Now that I have "upgraded" to Windows 10 I can't even count on closing my laptop for dinner or the task bar will not show my start button. I have to close and reopen every time I close my laptop. Anyone else encounter this and have a fix for it.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of other problems that I am having is that after I start up my computer and I click on file explorer, it always comes up reduced in size. Have to stretch it out to fill the screen up. Then there is the problem with when I want to delete an item, choose an item etc., when I click on the item it takes a couple of seconds for the pop up window to open and then the pop up window disappears. Sometimes I have to do this several times before it stays open. This is so annoying. Is anyone else having this problem?

• 1 month later...

I am still deciding about the upgrade to W10.One thing that concerns me is whether or not my printers will be compatible. They are both older printers but I don't want to replace them yet. Is there some way to check?

I am still deciding about the upgrade to W10.One thing that concerns me is whether or not my printers will be compatible. They are both older printers but I don't want to replace them yet. Is there some way to check?

Right after upgrading to 10, I had trouble installing my printer (which I got while still on XP). It upgraded when I went to Win7, but there was no driver for Windows 10 on the printer's website. (It's an HP Photosmart C5580.) Anyway, I just lied and said I was running Win7 and that driver seems to be compatible with Windows 10. My printer and all of its features works perfectly.

Right after upgrading to 10, I had trouble installing my printer (which I got while still on XP). It upgraded when I went to Win7, but there was no driver for Windows 10 on the printer's website. (It's an HP Photosmart C5580.) Anyway, I just lied and said I was running Win7 and that driver seems to be compatible with Windows 10. My printer and all of its features works perfectly.

Yep, in just about everything that should do the trick. Windows 10 is more of a shell than a new OS. It does speed things up and improve things, but there should be very little compatibility issues.

Yep, in just about everything that should do the trick. Windows 10 is more of a shell than a new OS. It does speed things up and improve things, but there should be very little compatibility issues.

Thanks Jennifer and Monica - this is great to know!

Archived