September Forum Game - All About Me

ValerieT

Here's my first layout for tasks 1 and 2.

I'm using 8x11 size because the publisher I plan to use has that book size. Why couldn't it have been 8 and a half by 11??? :) I'm using an 81/2x11 template and just had to modify the background layer a bit to adjust it to the slightly smaller size.

I have no particular collections in mind and will change them with the various topics. I might try to keep the clean, slightly geometric look, however. We'll see as the month goes on!

I do have photos but not of my birth or early days, so I stuck with just journaling for this topic.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tasks #1 and #2

OK, here's my first page. My story is about the mustache Daddy grew right before I was born, and the way Mother got him to shave it off by telling him he couldn't kiss me until he did. I guess it's true because I never knew Mother to lie about anything.

I Was Born

This is a wonderful idea for a month project.

This will be double trouble for me...I have a twin brother!!!!

I will try to join in and keep up but we are going to be away on the boat allot which means no internet to post LO's

This will be a great book to tell my Grands about the younger me!!!!!!.

Can't wait to see your double-trouble pages! My mom gave my boys an "All About Me" scrapbook on their 10th birthdays. They really got a kick from looking at her photos and more so from reading about the prankster stories her brother pulled on her! Boys! (But she has a few good ones of her own tucked away). :)

Will be a fun LO series!

I got the first one done, Hello Baby. I'm going to use Brandy's Hello Baby Collection Biggie but I can't be sure I won't add in from other supplies at some point.

To sum up my journaling, I talked about how young my parents were, how we lived with my dad's parents at first, where my name came from and about my grandfather bringing home a puppy the same day I came home from the hospital!

This does sound like a wonderful project! And Joyce, your Christmas project is a great idea. But I won't be participating in this month's forum game. I'm trying to get all the pages for our family gathering last April in Chattanooga done before DH and I take off for another cruise on Sept. 22. And I just went through my gallery - there are 14 layouts of my life, spanning years from birth to engagement and wedding. The story of my name isn't included, though.

So . . . Daddy insisted that his first daughter would be named after his sister, Mary Elizabeth Josephine, who died of scarlet fever when she was six. Said daughter would be called Jo, as her aunt was. And so I am. But Daddy didn't quite make it to the hospital before papers had to be filled out, because he was in army training; this was during WWII. Mother thought that the prescribed name was entirely too long, and my birth certificate reads "Helen Josephine Hartmann". Helen was Mother's first name, which she never used, and she was named after her mother. I carry ancestral names from both sides of my family, and have always been called just Jo.

This does sound like a wonderful project! And Joyce, your Christmas project is a great idea. But I won't be participating in this month's forum game. I'm trying to get all the pages for our family gathering last April in Chattanooga done before DH and I take off for another cruise on Sept. 22. And I just went through my gallery - there are 14 layouts of my life, spanning years from birth to engagement and wedding. The story of my name isn't included, though.

So . . . Daddy insisted that his first daughter would be named after his sister, Mary Elizabeth Josephine, who died of scarlet fever when she was six. Said daughter would be called Jo, as her aunt was. And so I am. But Daddy didn't quite make it to the hospital before papers had to be filled out, because he was in army training; this was during WWII. Mother thought that the prescribed name was entirely too long, and my birth certificate reads "Helen Josephine Hartmann". Helen was Mother's first name, which she never used, and she was named after her mother. I carry ancestral names from both sides of my family, and have always been called just Jo.

Sorry we'll be missing you this month, Jo but I do remember some of your pages about you! I'll bet you'd have enough for a book and you can always add afterwards if you'd like.

I enjoyed reading the story of your name, but I sure did laugh outloud when you wrote what your Mom filled out on your birth certificate! (Didn't see that one coming :D). But, it all turned out well as you ended up "Jo" and pleased both sides of your family. Neat story and thanks for sharing here.

I just dug out my baby book and it really makes me wish I had one of those portable scanners that was all the rage a while back. I have a fantastic desktop scanner, but I can't scan books. Here's hoping that we have decent weather so I can get decent pictures at least. I'm hoping to have my layout completed tomorrow.

As for size and collections, I'm working in 8x8, which is my usual size, and I'm thinking of sticking to one collection, although it will more than likely be one that has lots of coordinating products. :)

September 4 Friday

Task 3

Today we are focusing on the family you were born into. Were you a first child or how many siblings did you have? Did your family include parents? Did grandparents or other extended family play a role in your young life? Who helped shape your early years? Was there a special person important to you as a youngster who touched your life? What do you remember about your early family life and what people were important to you?

Journal about your family and start a layout about the people in your early life. You can include photos or anything pertinent to your story or you can scrap it with words alone.

So many gorgeous layouts to inspire - I need to scan like Carla did but I would then need to LOOK for the book etc... lol. ...So the one newborn photo I know where it is will do ... off to start Day 1. I really need to focus to stay caught up!

Family, check! I was the first born, first grandchild for each of my grandmothers. Since we lived with one set of grandparents and the other lived on the next street over, family was always close by. Now off to find photos and figure out what to journal!

Looks like I am running out of time to be able to keep up with this challenge. But I still might use the prompts to create page about me when I do have the time. As I think it would be good to create a book so my grandchildren can know a little about my growing up years.

Looks like I am running out of time to be able to keep up with this challenge. But I still might use the prompts to create page about me when I do have the time. As I think it would be good to create a book so my grandchildren can know a little about my growing up years.

Your grandchildren would LOVE a book about grandma, A-M. My sons treasure their books from their grandma! :)

I'm still looking for the baby book my mom made for me. Good grief--I know I saw that box last week--there's only about 50 boxes around here! LOL! At least I can complete the journalling!

Your grandchildren would LOVE a book about grandma, A-M. My sons treasure their books from their grandma! :)

I'm still looking for the baby book my mom made for me. Good grief--I know I saw that box last week--there's only about 50 boxes around here! LOL! At least I can complete the journalling!

I know what you mean Anne Marie and that's why I'm trying REALLY hard to not stress over layouts or worry about making them look perfect. I hope this way at least I can keep up with it if I make each layout "easy".

I guess time will tell how that works.

And, as Laura said, you can even just do journaling on your page if you'd like.

I know what you mean Anne Marie and that's why I'm trying REALLY hard to not stress over layouts or worry about making them look perfect. I hope this way at least I can keep up with it if I make each layout "easy".

I guess time will tell how that works.

And, as Laura said, you can even just do journaling on your page if you'd like.

Thank you Marilyn and Laura for the encouragement but I do not even have time to just do journaling pages ( I definitely want to include photos for this Story about me).

I am way behind in my weekly pages and want to finish my layouts to get printed into an album for our Cruise to New Zealand and time in New Zealand. I need it finished and printed ( do not know how long the place takes to do this) to take with us on a holiday next month to visit two of my cousins ( one turned 81 this year) whom both would enjoy seeing the book and back to my home town to visit my elderly Aunt and friends back there. So any scrapbooking I do has to be for this album and nothing else this weekend and following week.

September 5 Saturday

Task 4

Finish & post your layout in the All About Me Gallery.

Next, think about your childhood home. Where did you live? What did your home look like, was it big, small; a house or apartment? In the city or country? What kind of neighborhood did you live in? What word describes your childhood home? Did you share a room with anyone? What was unique about and made your home a home? What is your most vivid memory about where you lived? What did you like or dislike about your childhood home - did you have a special “place" in it?? Maybe you lived in more than one home. Did you have a backyard to play in or did you play in a playground or street nearby?

Journal about your early home and where you lived and played and start a layout with your words.

Finish and post your layout in the All About Me Gallery.

You will have the weekend to work on your page and we’ll be back Monday with another memory prompt!

Task 2

I think I will go with the square pages, there is a selection of different sizes available for printing, but I think I will go with that.

I do like the BMU_Photobook collection, as a template, but I think I will just go with the flow , I don’t know how many photos I have of my early life but will have to ask my sisters if they have any. Treasure hunting :D

I’m so looking forward to seeing everyone’s LO’s and enjoying mine at the same time.

Childhood home....I lived with my grandparents, lived in a mobile home, then we had a house built and moved in just before I started kindergarten. And then stayed in that house until I got married. I know there are photos of the houses, not sure about the mobile home though. I'll have to search!

Task 2:

Here are my layouts. I wound up making a 2-pager. :) Left: 1978-09-12 All About Me--The Early Years: Birth Right: 1978-09-12 All About Me--The Early Years: Birth

I think I'll end up using a variety of collections. I enjoyed using pink (kind of a novelty :lol: ), but it's not really my color.

Task Two done -- Uploaded my first layout. Here is some more information about me when I was a baby.

My baptism name is Carol Mae, the Mae being for my mother's eldest sister (her real name was Philomenia). I would have been the third child, but unfortunately my mom lost the second child who would have been my brother Ronnie. My older sister was born in 1943 during the second World War. Her baptism name is Donna Anita. I was born at Fordham Hospital in The Bronx, which is no longer there. I weighed 9 pounds 13 ounces. but I don't know what my length was.

Archived