How To Apply A Style To Only A Portion Of The Layer

dsrt1684

I have this element that I want to apply the Cathedral Glass style to only sections of the element.

Essentially, I want to take this window, and apply different colors of the cathedral glass style to different parts of the stained glass window portion of the element.

However, right now, it applies the style to the entire element including the window frame.

How do I do this? I tried to google it, and I know once upon a time I knew how to do this, but I can't find anything...probably entering in wrong key words.

I have included a picture of the element.

I tried using the magic wand to select one part of the stained glass window (which it selected it fine), but then it still applies the style to the whole layer, and not just the selected part....

post-24911-0-57063200-1445553610_thumb.png

Add a layer above your embelli and create a clipping mask. Apply the style you want to use to your clipped layer and then use your paintbrush to paint in the area you want colored with that style. You will need to add a new layer for each style and clip it and then paint it in. Hope that makes sense. Someone might have a better way to do it.

You're halfway there! Use your magic wand tool to select the portion you want to color/add a style to. Then create a new layer (either under the window, or over it, depending on your preference), fill it with color and apply your style. Repeat this for all of the sections of your stained glass. You will have one layer for each section.

When you magic wand each section, make sure the window layer is active. But when you create a new layer for the section, make sure that layer is active before you fill/add a style.

Hope this helps!

Archived