Scratching Through Black Background

Deb C.

I remember when I was in art class in school, we would color a paper in all different colors. Then we would color over it all with black. Then we would write and draw through the black, which would make all your background colors show through in your drawing/writing. Is there a way we can do that in digital scrapbooking?

Hi Deb,

Yes. Using your colored paper as the background, add a new layer above it and fill it with black. Get the eraser tool, select the brush you want to use and the size you want to use and draw over the black. The colors will show through the black.

Another way you could do it would be to apply a layer mask to the black fill layer, then use a regular brush to draw.

Maybe someone else will have some other ideas for you. HTH

I just posted a LO 'Taj MAhal' using that exact technique. My photo was desaturated and I used the magic wand to select the sky and made a new layer while the sky was selected and coloured it black, opacity 80. I also used a filter on my photo used setting' cut out' which made my image slightly less sharper. I used a copper color for the next layer and used 'color' blending mode. I then located a scrunched up foil texture and placed that on top as an overlay and finally a black layer with a mask and scratched away with a speckled brush size '10' varying opacities as I went along, any errors I just selected x on the keyboard and your colour picker should change to white and fill your area back in with black. When scratching make sure you are in the masked icon layer.

Hope this helps

OMG....I forgot about that art project...I will have to try that with my grandchildren. I love the idea of doing that so I hope you post that page when you are done...it sounds intersting

Oh, so cool Marie and I loved that layout! Thanks for explaining how you did this technique.

I just posted a LO 'Taj MAhal' using that exact technique. My photo was desaturated and I used the magic wand to select the sky and made a new layer while the sky was selected and coloured it black, opacity 80. I also used a filter on my photo used setting' cut out' which made my image slightly less sharper. I used a copper color for the next layer and used 'color' blending mode. I then located a scrunched up foil texture and placed that on top as an overlay and finally a black layer with a mask and scratched away with a speckled brush size '10' varying opacities as I went along, any errors I just selected x on the keyboard and your colour picker should change to white and fill your area back in with black. When scratching make sure you are in the masked icon layer.

Hope this helps

Archived