Two Page Layout--Trapped White Space And Color Issues

dsrt1684

I still can't complete a layout without asking for help, but I think it is because with this wedding scrapbook, I am working with two page layouts, which I find harder than just one.

I created reception page 1, and I liked it, but then when I went to create reception page 2, the design created trapped white space in the middle. So I moved the elements in page 1 over, and tried to mimic having the side a different strip of paper (reception page 1 version 2), but it looks too cluttered now on page 1, and there is still trapped white space due to the way I designed page 2. I can't seem to get these pages to work together, and it is probably because the way I designed page 2 with a vertical frame strip will cause trapped white space no matter what.

Questions:

1) COLOR ISSUES: I don't like the look of the dark purple side strip with the light blue background, but I couldn't find any other combo to work. I took the same paper used for the background and just recolorized it the darker purple, but I don't think they work well together. ANd it especially doesn't work with page 1 as it meshes with the rolled paper frame. Is there a better color choice to make here, so the main background, and the end strip work together? And the background paper works with the page?

2) WHITE SPACE ISSUES: I can't avoid the cardinal sin of trapped white space in the middle with the way I designed page 2. By itself, there isn't any trapped white space, but put with page 1, there is. So will I need to make the frames horizontal across the middle? But then won't that make the middle section too cluttered when placed side by side with page 1? I can't figure out a way to design page 2 without causing trapped white space with the way page 1 is designed. ( I feel like no matter how I design page 2 I will either have trapped white space in the middle with the two side by side, or I will have a too cluttered middle section with the two side by side--I think the design I made on page 1 is just not meant to work with a 2 page spread, or at least i can't figure out a way)

3) Can I work with version 1 of the reception page and make it work with page 2, or were my changes shown in version 2 necessary (moved elements over, and added strip to edge of it to match page 2)?

4) The only problem I have with page 2 by itself is I am not sure if I should have the white space in between the journaling and the ribbon/stitch bar. Should I move the journaling over? Otherwise, I love page 2 by itself.

Ultimately, can I somehow make a design on page 2 that works well with the design on page 1 (the original or the version 2).

post-24911-0-07318100-1450484002_thumb.jpg

post-24911-0-76673200-1450484032_thumb.jpg

post-24911-0-25890900-1450484085_thumb.jpg

Never be worried about asking for feedback, Katie, it's what we are here for!

I do have a couple of suggestions for you:

I personally like the page one layout with the purple border, I like symmetry in a 2 page layout and this automatically tells my eyes that these pages go together. I also love the flowers in the opposite corners, too. If you look at these 2 sets of templates you will see that they both have 2 page spreads with white space in the middle, it's fine it gives your eye a place to rest.

EBA_SSAlbumMini_12x12_SpreadOut_MKTG_600

CTH_SSAlbum_12x12_AroundNAround_MKTG_600

I think your colors are fine, the bouquet ties them together. If you are worried about it, maybe lighten the purple just a bit. As far as the frame goes, I think something more formal and traditional like a polished wood or metal frame would be more in keeping with the feel of your page. To relieve some clutter, I would either move the vine stamp/brush under the ribbon or not use it at all. I don't think it's necessary, but if you keep it, it would look more natural directly on the paper.

On page two, maybe try moving swapping the photo strip and the journaling, then right justify the journaling to sit flush against the photo strip. I think that would take away that trapped white space feeling.

Hope that helps!

Great ideas ladies. Both page 1 look great, my thought on page 2 is, that it's just too straight and in line. The angles place on the left pages need a balance of an angle on the right side. And somehow use the pink 'stamp' on the right side as well to bring them together better. Can't wait to see it finished.

Andrea, I just saw your thoughts after I marked these pages as finished. You are right though: page 2 is all straight lines and page 1 uses angles. I will have to play with that later.

I made the frames metal and got rid of my stitched vine per Melanie's suggestions.

Then I clustered the photos on page 2 to get rid of the trapped white space per Linda's suggestion.

I am not sure how to use the pink lacy paper on page 2, but you are right about the angles. Maybe if I sleep on it.. :D

Archived