Working With A 12 X 24 Template

Hi Everyone! I just bought the 12 x 24 template phonebook modern magazine. I have always scrapped before in single pages. For some reason I'm thrown with this...I feel that the 2 pages should tell something about one event. if you don't do it that way then you will be out of sync on the next pages for when you do want to do a double page. Hope that makes sense... I'm doing a sorority book....For instance, Installation of officers, only have one photo...it's a horizontal...the biggest I could make it is 12 x 9. Should I fill it in at the bottom with banding and do decorating on other side? Not sure of what...some of the others I have enough photos and papers to tie in the 2 pages. Hope you are following me...

For a single 2-Page spread scrapbook page, that may be the case. But, if you are doing a book, it is reasonable to put similar events on the same spread, or arrange your photo book however it makes sense (chronologically, grouping events, etc.) . What I know about sororities would not even fill a thimble, but is there something that happens after the installation of officers, or beforehand? Or, do you have a story about the candidates or officers that you could document on the left side, and then place the photo on the right side (or vice versa)? If you use a similar theme for your book (colors, style, font, etc.) it is perfectly fine to do one side of your two-page spread for one event and the other side for another. You also can rearrange the templates to fit your needs. Remove photo slots, add them, move them, etc. There are no rules!

Have fun making your book and I hope you'll share some of it with us in the gallery!

Can the photo be split across the two pages? Not through the middle. Rule of thirds generally results in a better composition. As long as you don't split the photo through a person! Maybe something like this with journalling on the one side, and some embellishments around the photo.

post-10845-0-34921200-1453575987.jpg

post-10845-0-34921200-1453575987_thumb.jpg

Can the photo be split across the two pages? Not through the middle. Rule of thirds generally results in a better composition. As long as you don't split the photo through a person! Maybe something like this with journalling on the one side, and some embellishments around the photo.

post-10845-0-34921200-1453575987.jpg

In respect to that...it could... the only thing is that the center doesn't fold someone in half, Here's an example of scholarship photo...both that and installation of officers are like this...I think it would be difficult to do this with the people close together don't you? I love the concept!!

post-7357-0-26107000-1453588338_thumb.jpg

In respect to that...it could... the only thing is that the center doesn't fold someone in half, Here's an example of scholarship photo...both that and installation of officers are like this...I think it would be difficult to do this with the people close together don't you? I love the concept!!

In a lay-flat photobook, you can split the photo easily - it's OK to split down the shoulder, for example, but not through someone's head.

In a traditionally bound book, it's trickier because part of the photo is hidden within the binding. When I did a split photo, I had to duplicate some of the photo along the split (make an overlapping portion).

Here is an example of what I mean. Since part of the photo gets lost in the binding, I would create a little extra at the split point.

post-10845-0-77029600-1453614764_thumb.jpg

In a lay-flat photobook, you can split the photo easily - it's OK to split down the shoulder, for example, but not through someone's head.

In a traditionally bound book, it's trickier because part of the photo is hidden within the binding. When I did a split photo, I had to duplicate some of the photo along the split (make an overlapping portion).

Here is an example of what I mean. Since part of the photo gets lost in the binding, I would create a little extra at the split point.

I tried it in my program...I'll have to say, I'm scared to try it...if it could be lost in the binding great, but if it didn't I'm stuck...not sure how it would look with the one girl on other side?? The lay flat pages are awesome but don't want to go to the expense.

I'm scared to try it...if it could be lost in the binding great, but if it didn't I'm stuck...not sure how it would look with the one girl on other side?? The lay flat pages are awesome but don't want to go to the expense.

Yes, the lay-flat books are expensive.

You definitely lose some of the photo in the binding - the thicker the book, the more you have to compensate for the binding. I know - it's hard to predict exactly how much.

I'm scared to try it...if it could be lost in the binding great, but if it didn't I'm stuck...not sure how it would look with the one girl on other side?? The lay flat pages are awesome but don't want to go to the expense.

Yes, the lay-flat books are expensive.

You definitely lose some of the photo in the binding - the thicker the book, the more you have to compensate for the binding. I know - it's hard to predict exactly how much.

Advice please....I could make the photo as big as a 12 x 9 on one page...that's going to leave room...should I center it or put it at top...would you band it with paper...do nothing, and do journaling on other side..just don't want it to look off...its hard to tie in with anything about it...I could take a picture of our sorority pin and use that...OR do left side with Installation of Officers and journal and right hand page of scholarships because I have same issue with this photo. I would normally put the pledges in before scholarship photo but have enough of that for a 2 page layout!! Thoughts??

I made this quick example at a photobook site, mainly to show where a photo can be split. I just used the scrapbook images they provided, so they are only representations. Where you see the photo spread across two pages, I would actually upload two sections with overlap, to compensate for the part of the photo that would be hidden by the binding.

It is also perfectly OK to put the entire photo on just one side. Just add everything relevant to the story of the picture, and start moving things around to fill out the composition. Add extra embellishments if you need to balance the look.

post-10845-0-27680000-1453769567_thumb.jpg

BMU_SSDLA_Photobook_ModMag_LO-2.jpg

Here's another idea, taken right from the Modern Magazine templates that you purchased. Imagine the right side rotated right, so your photo would be on top, with some strips of paper underneath and then some journalling. The other side can be filled with matching papers, sorority pin picture, scholarship pictures, and a big title.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another idea, taken right from the Modern Magazine templates that you purchased. Imagine the right side rotated right, so your photo would be on top, with some strips of paper underneath and then some journalling. The other side can be filled with matching papers, sorority pin picture, scholarship pictures, and a big title.

post-7357-0-10334900-1454871301_thumb.png

Linda, would you take a look at the above layout...I think the text is off.

Archived