How To Color Or Add Styles To This ...

Lesann

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to figure out how to add color/styles to this dangle. It's a chain with cut crystals and pearls. In the best possible scenario, I'd like the chain to be gold, the pearls white and the crystals diamond-like or clear. It's the 6th over from the left.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

SNU_SSEmb_Dangles-PearlsSNU_SSEmb_Dangles_MKTG600.jpg

So I'm thinking I have to paint a style on each bead, each style having its own layer? Let's see if I'm understanding some of these tricks by now?

If you use PSE, some versions do not allow you to edit layer styles to add color overlays. I have an old version of PSE and I usually have to select the object to get the marching ants, create a new layer, fill the selection on the new layer with a color, then play with blending modes and hue/saturation until I find one that works.

And here's a link to the SS Handbook in the boutique (it's free) :

SS Instructions Handbook

Hope that helps.

My favorite way to color templates like that is with layer styles.

Here is a little tutorial on how to do it. Coloring Templates with Layer Styles

Hi April, I tried it on some ribbon and I like it much more than a clipping mask. But each of those beads...yikes, a layer for one I'm thinking and then the chain? I'm going to try that next, thinking (as I type) that the transparency/luminosity of each material might make each color different anyway!

My favorite way to color templates like that is with layer styles.

Here is a little tutorial on how to do it. Coloring Templates with Layer Styles

Hi April, I tried it on some ribbon and I like it much more than a clipping mask. But each of those beads...yikes, a layer for one I'm thinking and then the chain? I'm going to try that next, thinking (as I type) that the transparency/luminosity of each material might make each color different anyway!

I wondered about that when I read your post - how to do each bead, so I can't wait to hear how it comes out! :)

So I'm thinking I have to paint a style on each bead, each style having its own layer? Let's see if I'm understanding some of these tricks by now?

You shouldn't have to paint it on at all. You create the style on one layer, then copy it to the other layers. Copy it by right clicking on the fx in the layers panel and choosing "Copy Layer Style" you can then select all the layers you would like to apply the same style to and choose "Paste Layer Style."

Also, if you hold down the alt key, then click and drag the fx from one layer to another, it should copy it. If you want different colors on different beads, you just double click on the color overlay of the style and choose a new color.

Since you use PS, you can even save the styles to use more easily. double click on the fx on a layer that has the style applied and choose "New Style."

I hope that makes sense. I can grab some extra screenshots if you'd like.

Oh, I'm catching on to your question. I don't think I have those templates, but I'm guessing there not a psd file with it. That does make it harder.

You could use a layer mask to hide the chain and color it on a duplicate layer right below the beads layer if you want the beads all the same color.

So, if I were painting the color onto that bead chain, like you suggested, I would create a blank layer over the template layer, change the blending mode to overlay, clip the blank layer to the template layer and then color away on the blank layer. The clipping mask will make it not show when you color outside the lines.

Hmm, I'm afraid April's suggestions didn't work for me, or maybe I'm just not understanding something. Since it's a PNG file, and I'm using PSE, what worked for me was to create copies of the PNG and work with each one separately. Here's what I did. I know it seems lengthy, but I wanted to include each step and it worked for me and I had fun with it, so I guess that's all that matters :)

I began with a new blank 12x12inch document, at 300 pixels/inch. Then I filled the background with a solid color. It isn’t necessary to color the background; I just prefer to work with a colored background.

I opened the template SNU_SSEmb_Dangles-PearlsJewels, dragged it onto my document, and duplicated it twice.

I renamed the layers as follows:
Layer 1 – Gemstones

Layer 1 copy – Pearls

Layer 1 copy 2 – Gold Chain

Chain

I pressed D to reset the color chips to the default setting so black is the foreground color and I applied a layer mask to the top layer (Gold Chain). Next I turned off the visibility of the Pearls and Gemstones layers. Note: At this point, the pearls and gemstones are still visible on the document, but in order to be able to use the layer mask, the visibility of those layers needs to be turned off.

I clicked on the layer mask thumbnail and selected a hard round brush, then on my document zoomed in and scrolled up/down and brushed over the pearls and gemstones to hide them from view leaving just the parts of the chain visible.

Tip: The pearls and gemstones can be hidden fairly quickly by using the bracket keys on your keyboard to resize the brush to the approximate size of each bead as you go along.

Next I applied a gold style to the Chain layer. I used Jan Ransley’s Touch of Metal 12001. Other styles such as Brandy Murry’s Gold 8501 would also work well.

This is what my document looks like after hiding the pearls and gemstones and adding the gold style.

SNU Dangles SS1.jpg

Pearls

To color the pearls, first I turned off the visibility of the Chain layer and turned on the visibility of the pearls layer.

I applied a layer mask as before and this time I brushed away the Gemstones and Chain, leaving only the pearls visible on my document.

Then I brought up the Hue and Saturation dialog (CTRL+U) and moved the lightness slider to the right to +60. This changed the pearls to a pretty shade of white that I liked.

This is what my document looks like with only the pearls layer visible

SNU Dangles SS2.jpg

This is what my document looks like now with the chain and pearls layers visible

SNU Dangles SS3.jpg

Gemstones

I opened a diamond gemstone from the same template set. I chose SNU_SSEmb_Dangles-RdDiamond.

Making sure the Gemstones layer was the active layer, I dragged the diamond onto the document and placed it over the bottom gemstone and sized it so that it was slighter larger than the template stone. Then I held down the alt key, clicked and dragged a copy up onto the next gemstone. Again, holding down the alt key, I clicked and dragged a copy up onto the next gemstone on the template. I continued this process of copying each diamond and placing it above a gemstone on the template until all the gemstones were covered.

Note: After resizing the first diamond, there is no need to resize the others – some of them will be considerably larger than the template stones, and shaped a little differently, but they will resize and conform to the template shapes when you apply a clipping mask later.

Next I selected Layer 1 (the bottom diamond layer), held the shift key down and selected Layer 1 copy 8 (the top diamond layer) so all of these layers are selected and I pressed CTRL+E to merge those layers. Then I pressed CTRL+G to clip the merged layer to the Gemstones layer.

SNU Dangles SS4.jpg

At this point you may want to add a flair or two to some of the diamond stones. There are several of them included in the template set. I saved the PSD file in case I want to make changes in the future. Then I turned off the visibility of the background and Saved As a PNG file to use as is.

Tip: For the gemstones, instead of a diamond from the template set, you could also use Syndee’s Jeweled 6301 or Jeweled 6302 styles and apply the style the same way I applied the gold style to the chain.

Okay! Off to try this. I have the gemstone styles, so that'll work. I think the other SN style has been retired.

Hugs and thanks to all of you.

L

Okay! Off to try this. I have the gemstone styles, so that'll work. I think the other SN style has been retired.

Hugs and thanks to all of you.

L

Hi Leslie Ann,

I'm wondering which style your are referring to as being retired - each of the links I posted will take you directly to its product page, so I'm a little confused. :dunno:

The other products I referred to (which have no links) are included in the template set: ScrapSimple Embellishment Templates: Dangles

Okay, it all worked like a charm until I got to the clipping part with the gemstones. I couldn't for the life of me get that bottom gemstone to work. I did a workaround and am happy with it. Here are the layer stacks. It was GREAT FUN to do this. It's amazing what you can do once you get the steps. I had completely forgotten or didn't even know to brush away what I didn't want in each layer. Of course it makes sense now. :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

When I clipped the first image preview, everything worked except the bottom gem and the diamond went behind it. So in the second try (the work around, I clipped, moved the diamond up to another layer above and voila it works.

I'm so pleased to know this technique!

post-24461-0-20974900-1456017416_thumb.jpg

post-24461-0-76140900-1456017456_thumb.jpg

Okay, it all worked like a charm until I got to the clipping part with the gemstones. I couldn't for the life of me get that bottom gemstone to work. I did a workaround and am happy with it. Here are the layer stacks. It was GREAT FUN to do this. It's amazing what you can do once you get the steps. I had completely forgotten or didn't even know to brush away what I didn't want in each layer. Of course it makes sense now. :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

When I clipped the first image preview, everything worked except the bottom gem and the diamond went behind it. So in the second try (the work around, I clipped, moved the diamond up to another layer above and voila it works.

I'm so pleased to know this technique!

Leslie Ann, It looks fantastic!

Glad you enjoyed the process and were able to get the clipping mask to work. :)

Archived