Midwest Meet-up 2016

I still have to purchase airline ticket...has been a very hectic, bear-down-and-get-through-it week and a half here.

Hey, I was thinking that if you ladies are interested in going to Carlyle Lake on Saturday, we could stop at Excel Bottling and do a tour of their Brewery and see how they make Ski (a soda that is bottled in my home town). I know someone who works there and can give us a good tour but they do regular tours on Saturdays at 10am. Here is the website: http://excelbottling.com/about/

I was thinking we can then have lunch in that same town, at Dairy King. It is my all time favorite place to eat. It can get busy, so maybe if we eat after the tour (probably 11ish?) then maybe it won't be too bad. Here is the website for them: http://edairyking.com/

And if the weather is nice and you all want to go to Carlyle Lake and want some exercise, we can walk on the Carlyle Lake Dam (Spillway), and down to the General Dean Suspension Bridge (

Just near all of this, there is also the sailboat harbor that my have boats in it (

The restaurant/Excel Bottling is about 30 minutes from the hotel and the lake is just 15 minutes further than the restaurant.

Any opinions? Is it too far away?

Laura, I'm open to whatever. You're the native guide, so pick things that make this area fun/unique.

Ditto what Michelle says here.

Maybe I can get arrival/departure flight times close to yours, Michelle, for only 1 airport run. Anyone else flying in?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ladies, I will be able to transport back and forth. My sister is going to let me use her van (can hold 7 if we sit close) so we can come up with a final plan when it gets closer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I posted on the FB thread but i'm still trying to figure out if I can fit this in.

I just sat down this week to talk to Gary and it looks like he's gone from Wed to Sun that week. So that would leave the boys with my parents, and the whole thing of HS football fitting in. I didn't really think of that to begin with because Friday is Varsity night, but there's a chance that they will play some. I love the boys playing sports but i'm "that mom" that anytime they are participating I want to be there in case something happens. Seen to many games that aren't in our town that parents didn't go to and their kids end up hurt.

So i'm still up in the air on what I can fit in or how to make it all work out.

I'm still in! I was on a business trip and didn't have my computer. I with SG had an app so it would be easier to view the forums on my phone.

I'm still in! I was on a business trip and didn't have my computer. I with SG had an app so it would be easier to view the forums on my phone.

Since I subscribe to this thread, I click the link in my email and it brings me directly here so I can read the new posts, however, I rarely post from my phone!!!

I am going to be "on call" so to speak that weekend. Many of you know that my first grandchild is due in mid October (14th). The doctor told her this week that he would schedule her to be induced the week prior (3rd-7th), but that he thinks she will have the baby before that week. SO. If Charlotte Grace makes her appearance early (during meet up days)-I won't make it...but my reservation is made and I am planning to be there. I am really looking forward to seeing everyone. It seems like it has been a LONG year since I saw everyone last. I need some SG time!!

Angie-I was really looking forward to the party van trip! ;) I KNOW!! We can send Emma to the boys' game...she can be the "adult" for them if necessary. She would love to hang out in Hamilton and watch the game (translate look for guys...) Problem solved!! :blink::o:lol::rolleyes:

Conda, I didn't know you were going to be a grandma!!! You aren't old enough for that yet, lol! Congratulations!!

Angie, I totally get it. I'm the same way. I was on pins and needles when Tim would go to Lauren's games and I didn't. Not only did I want to watch, I wanted to be there if she got hurt. The one time she got "really" hurt, I was there, but she stayed in the game and toughed it out. I didn't even get to talk to her until the inning was over. But I totally get it.

Based on conversations in FB, here is the list of attendees:

Cheri

Karen F

Carla

Tiza

Laura D

Michele

Maybes are:

Conda

Angie

Seems like everyone is really busy and over committed this time around.Laura D has gotten us a great deal on the big room - $200 for both Friday and Saturday, so that's not cost prohibitive even with a small group. Is this really happening with such a small group?

As far as the weekend goes, no matter the size, we can make it work since I know some have purchased some airline tickets. I know our traditional routine is scrapping at the hotel, but we don't have to! I can find places we can go to for free if that is what you want, even if it is at my house. I have plenty of room in my basement. All we need is a room with probably 3 tables, right?

Let me know. I can present some options!

I'm sorry that so many have had other things come up. I think we had this happen once before.

Since i'm on the fence I don't want to vote one way or the other. I probably won't know for sure until closer to it and see if things change with our schedule (which could happen)

I'm the only one flying in. Based on that, I don't want to force this into something bigger (longer) than the locals who are driving can make it. If y'all want to pare it down to Saturday during the day, I'll bow out and let y'all make it into something that's more manageable. What I'm saying is that all options are on the table - from cancelling altogether - to making it only Saturday - to keeping the whole thing as is.

I'm looking at what I could do with the time off closer to the holidays and switch my flights to visit family in Florida. So if you're trying to keep this going for me because I have a flight - sure, I have the most on the line regarding cash committed, but I can make use of it elsewhere.

I'm with Angie on this. I can't really comment since I feel I am (part of) the problem! ;) With that said-I'm happy to do whatever and will be there unless Bailey is in labor.

I'm not sure how this affects Cheri's trip down as we always come via the party van...(what happens in the party van stays in the party van) :drive1: AND if baby hasn't made her appearance, I might drive by myself so I can "make a get away" if necessary. ?????

I will be here for anyone who wants to join me. I am with Carla, I am looking forward to the weekend. I know it isn't going to be the same without the "core group" if Angie and Conda can't make it, and we are definitely going to miss Sandy; and Michelle, if you chose to use your flight for holiday-related events, we will definitely understand. There is always next time. We have the hotel conference room booked so if we do end up being blessed with Angie and Conda, great! If not, don't worry about the cost of the conference room. It's covered. It will be my "attendance" gift lol.

I'm really looking forward to this, and hope we don't cancel. That said, I'm also not looking forward to the long drive alone if Angie and Conda cannot make it/have to drive separately, but I can do it! Since there is a good chance I'll be driving 7 hours one-way alone, I would prefer the full Thursday-Sunday original plan. If we shorten it, that may not be worth the drive to me.

It's only about 4 hours for me to drive it, I think. Being on the same side of the river as the meet up is closer for me. Not that St. Louis is that much farther. I'm good with keeping the Thursday - Sunday option but understand if you all want to shorten it.

I'm really looking forward to this, and hope we don't cancel. That said, I'm also not looking forward to the long drive alone if Angie and Conda cannot make it/have to drive separately, but I can do it! Since there is a good chance I'll be driving 7 hours one-way alone, I would prefer the full Thursday-Sunday original plan. If we shorten it, that may not be worth the drive to me.

We could "drive together separately" if it comes to that...just a thought! I'm with you, I wouldn't want to drive 7 hours each way for just a day! I'm still routing for a scenario where we are all three in the party van!!!!!

We could "drive together separately" if it comes to that...just a thought! I'm with you, I wouldn't want to drive 7 hours each way for just a day! I'm still routing for a scenario where we are all three in the party van!!!!!

Me too - All together in the party van is the best way to go:) I'll keep my fingers crossed!

So, as far as Thursday goes, we don't need the conference room that day, right?

Also, I have the tour booked on Saturday at 10am for the Excel Bottling Company, home of Ski! I think I shared a few cans before, but if not, you can taste it straight from the source! It's a soda that is a cross between Mountain Dew and Freska. The tour is going to be personally done by an employee there who is on our Fire Department so he will give us some extra love. After the tour, I was hoping you will all agree to go to Dairy King for lunch. It may be busy, but only because it's the most well-known place to eat in Clinton County. Also, they have the best Ski fountain soda there, with crushed ice. And, you can add flavors to it. My favorite is Diet Ski (not as good a regular Ski, but hey, compromise) with real strawberries added. Yum! And then after that, if you want to drive another 15 minutes, we can go to Carlyle Lake and walk along the Dam and see a suspension bridge. That should put us to early afternoon and we can return to the hotel for the rest of the day of scrapbooking.

Any objections to the plan?

Archived