Weekly Newsletter Challenge 3-22-16

teecee

This week we have a new Sketch Challenge for you. Since those of us in the Northern Hemisphere are celebrating the first day of spring this week, we are using a fun sunburst sketch which you can find on the blog.

Spring is my favorite season because I know the cold, snow, and ice are finished. I have lovely, sunny, warmer weather to look forward to! I’ll see green grass, leaves on the trees, pretty flowers, lots of birds, and bunnies scampering through my back yard. Love it!

You may want to use the sketch to depict celebrating the sun or welcoming back spring, or you may want to scrap happy, sunny days. Of course, you may choose another theme, if you wish. The important thing is to have fun with it and remember to upload your finished pages to the Weekly Newsletter Challenge Gallery.

Help?! Since all the pages are coming out alike is the sketch a template?? I clicked on the sketch and it was a link, not a download.

Hi Stephanie, the sketch isn't a template. You should be able to right click on the sketch and select save picture as... or save image as... to save it to where you want on your computer. Let us know if you need more help.

For the sketch challenges, we just give the jpg for you to create a layout using the basic sketch. The sketch gives you an idea of where to place elements on your layout. You can also change things around if you want to. I think of it kind of like scraplifting, but only scraplifting the basic layout itself. HTH

Help?! Since all the pages are coming out alike is the sketch a template?? I clicked on the sketch and it was a link, not a download.

I used the sketch as a starting point, you can see I used circles and square shapes for framing, but I didn't use the sunburst. Instead, I used bright colors because the subject brought sunshine into my day.

Ohhh, the minute I saw this, I thought textures...we'll see what I come up with!

I love textures! Looking forward to seeing your layout ;)

What is the best way to do the sunburst? I have been trying for hours and can't seem to get it right. Are you all using a SS Embellishment or paper template or are you using the PSE tools?

Hi Barbara, as I mentioned in post #9 above, the sketch isn't a template. It is a sketch which gives you an idea of where to place things on the page and please feel free to change things around. There is no right or wrong and if you look at some of the layouts in the Newsletter Challenge gallery, you'll see a lot of them are quite different from the actual sketch. The main thing is to have fun with it. HTH :)

What is the best way to do the sunburst? I have been trying for hours and can't seem to get it right. Are you all using a SS Embellishment or paper template or are you using the PSE tools?

Hi Barb, adding to what Theresa said -- for example in my layout, technically I didn't use the starburst at all but it inspired my use of bright strips of color on my background.

There also are templates that have a starburst like the one in the sketch where you can clip papers to layers and I've seen a few paper backgrounds with a starburst that could be used too.

In PSE you can also make layers or a template from a sketch by using a selection tool like the Magic Wand and selecting one of the rays, You will get "marching ants" around your selection and then under the "Layer menu" at top choose Layer>New>Layer Via Copy which will create a new layer of that selection. If you do that for each piece you'd like to clip a background to, then you will have layers to do that with! I hope that makes sense.

That said, as Theresa noted - sketches are really to spark your creativity and get you started, so let your imagination run wild! :)

Archived