16 replies to this topic

#1 chickypow

chickypow

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:44 AM

So I'm trying to express my "feelings" of the night my son was born. What I'm trying to capture is first of all, the chaos and secondly the serenity that I felt during and after his birth. Two opposite emotions mixed together... And thirdly, the closeness I felt with my husband.

The song that kept running through my head while I was labouring was Creeds's "Arms Wide Open" so I incorparated that too.

I still feel that it's missing something, it looks a little stark. Any thoughts of what might be added to complete this LO?

Arms Wide Open
Erin and Noah
Noah is now 2.5 Years Old!!
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

Posted Image

#2 DDecker

DDecker

Live, Laugh, Love, Eat Chocolate!

• Members
  • 9,893 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am a mom, wife, sister, friend and daughter not necessarily in that order.

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:48 AM

I think it is lovely! You could add a layer of softness with an overlay. If you don't have one you can make one very easily!
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference. reinhold niebuhr

#3 chickypow

chickypow

• Members
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:15 PM

I think it is lovely! You could add a layer of softness with an overlay. If you don't have one you can make one very easily!

ooohhh...what a good idea, how would I go about doing that??
Erin and Noah
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

Posted Image

#4 DDecker

DDecker

Live, Laugh, Love, Eat Chocolate!

• Members
  • 9,893 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am a mom, wife, sister, friend and daughter not necessarily in that order.

Posted 29 November 2006 - 12:22 PM

I would add a new layer over the photos but under the text, flood fill with white or a very pale blue and reduce the opacity to 15 or so. Play with the opacity until you have the effect you like. You can then use an edge brush or inking brush on this new layer to soften the edges even more.

HTH
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference. reinhold niebuhr

#5 Ursula

Ursula

• Members
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:05 PM

I like your layout as is. One thought that came to me as I read what you are trying to capture, is that perhaps you need an entirely different layout to capture some of these things. Also, perhaps you could do one with Chaos on one side of the layout, the photo or photos in the middle, and serenity on the the other side. Perhaps journaling could be included in the center to tie the two together. A photo of you and DH looking over the baby might be a nice way to illustrate the closeness you shared if you have one.

#6 chickypow

chickypow

• Members
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:08 PM

Wonderful! I did this and have replaced the old LO with the new one with a light tan overlay. Thank you so much for the idea!
Erin and Noah

Posted Image

#7 chickypow

chickypow

• Members
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:10 PM

I like your layout as is. One thought that came to me as I read what you are trying to capture, is that perhaps you need an entirely different layout to capture some of these things. Also, perhaps you could do one with Chaos on one side of the layout, the photo or photos in the middle, and serenity on the the other side. Perhaps journaling could be included in the center to tie the two together. A photo of you and DH looking over the baby might be a nice way to illustrate the closeness you shared if you have one.

Hmmm....good idea. The only icky thing is that all the photos of the 3 of us are terrible as I look like a monster. heehee.

I'll have to play around with this some more.
Erin and Noah

Posted Image

#8 Ursula

Ursula

• Members
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:30 PM

Well photoshop those puppies, add a nice dreamy effect so the monster look will be less visible. I love optic verve, the effects are wonderful and cover lots of flaws! LOL

#9 chickypow

chickypow

• Members
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

Well photoshop those puppies, add a nice dreamy effect so the monster look will be less visible. I love optic verve, the effects are wonderful and cover lots of flaws! LOL

hmmm...I'm looking up optic verve on PSE and can't find it? Where would that be? I'm new to PS and havn't figured out alot of photo editing yet.
Erin and Noah

Posted Image

#10 Ursula

Ursula

• Members
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:07 PM

Optic Verve is a filter plug in that you can download for free here, it is the most wonderful thing and includes some 30 or so filters, available in both color and varying ranges of black and white. It also has settings so that you can customize the look with different colors, degrees of softness, etc. It is one of my favorite things to use on photos. It installs very quickly and easily and there are instructions on the site for how to do this. Good luck!

#11 chickypow

chickypow

• Members
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:27 PM

oh my...thanks so much for the link, this looks GREAT!
Erin and Noah

Posted Image

#12 Ursula

Ursula

• Members
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 02:34 PM

You're very welcome, I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

#13 Laurel Lakey

Laurel Lakey

Scrap Girls Product Designer

• Design Team
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:33 AM

Optic Verve is a filter plug in that you can download for free here, it is the most wonderful thing and includes some 30 or so filters, available in both color and varying ranges of black and white. It also has settings so that you can customize the look with different colors, degrees of softness, etc. It is one of my favorite things to use on photos. It installs very quickly and easily and there are instructions on the site for how to do this. Good luck!

Do you know if there is a Mac version of this plugin available? I couldn't find any info on that site and was wondering if you knew of anything similar for Macs. Thanks!

gallery_4739_461_28437.pngButton_Designer.png

Click on the images below to be taken to the Boutique.

S4H/SFO and commercial versions now available!

LLA_HappyDays_MKTG150.jpg LLA_SSDLT_Collaged_MKTG150.jpg LLA_EmbMini_Affirmations_MKTG150.jpg LLA_SSDLA_Mini_Confetti_MKTG150.jpg LLA_LPG_CollectionBiggie_MKTG150.jpg

#14 Ursula

Ursula

• Members
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:54 AM

I don't know, if it were, I'm sure it would be mentioned on the site. I don't know anything about Mac, but can you ever use the same software on them as a PC? The other thing you might try is to contact the Optic Verve maker. I seem to remember him being open to being contacted.

#15 Laurel Lakey

Laurel Lakey

Scrap Girls Product Designer

• Design Team
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:30 PM

Cool, thanks for the info. I just barely switched from PC to Mac and I'm still figuring out exactly which programs are compatible or not. Luckily I still have Photoshop on my PC so I can download it there and use it when I need to. :)

gallery_4739_461_28437.pngButton_Designer.png

Click on the images below to be taken to the Boutique.

S4H/SFO and commercial versions now available!

LLA_HappyDays_MKTG150.jpg LLA_SSDLT_Collaged_MKTG150.jpg LLA_EmbMini_Affirmations_MKTG150.jpg LLA_SSDLA_Mini_Confetti_MKTG150.jpg LLA_LPG_CollectionBiggie_MKTG150.jpg

#16 Susan Neff

Susan Neff

• Members
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:23 PM

It's a beautiful layout! :)

How about some personal journaling? The feelings you expressed in your original post - they're not in your layout. And they're important. ;)

Honestly, it's beautiful - and the song is a wonderful compliment.

#17 caprimom

caprimom

I'm a pixel crafter!

• Members
  • 4,184 posts
  • Personal Statement:live. laugh. love.

Posted 02 December 2006 - 02:36 PM

I think the LO is fine as is also. I'm not sure how to mix chaos and serenity outside of a 2pg spread like a pp suggested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users