Clipping Mask suddenly stopped

Hi All,

I'm using PSE 10 and was able to use the clipping mask earlier with no problem. Now when I use a template, such as a Christmas photo frame, when I hit CTL + G to clip the photo to the file, the photo becomes the frame. I've added a screenshot showing what is going on.

Any ideas what I've inadvertently done to my program to mess up my settings? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-22629-0-84529400-1462323992_thumb.jpg

I suspect it has to do with the layer order. It looks like you are clipping the photo to the frame rather than putting it below the frame. Not all templates have a photo mask layer to clip the photo to. When I'm working with that type of frame, I just use a layer mask to make my photo fit within the frame.

• Select the area with the marquis tool - making sure the edges of your selection overlap the frame a bit so you won't get a gap.
  • Make sure your photo layer is active and add a layer mask. The icon looks like a square with a circle inside.

I work in CS6, but I think the process is quite similar in PSE. Let us know if you need screenshots.

Hi All,

I'm using PSE 10 and was able to use the clipping mask earlier with no problem. Now when I use a template, such as a Christmas photo frame, when I hit CTL + G to clip the photo to the file, the photo becomes the frame. I've added a screenshot showing what is going on.

Any ideas what I've inadvertently done to my program to mess up my settings? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That happens to me a lot when I'm using a template. Could never figure out why. Next time it happens, I'll follow April's instructions.

Hmmm, I never knew April's technique and am always puzzled when this happens! I've found that what's happening is there is no inner layer to clip to on the inside, only the outside frame to use.

Sometimes what I'll do is use the magic want to select the inside space (where the photo would go), create a new layer, (Layer>New>Layer via Copy), then use the paint bucket to fill the new layer, position the photo over it and clip!

April's layer sounds easier, I am going to try it. :D

Or you can just make sure the photo and frame are on separate layers, and slide the frame over the photo, resizing as necessary. A mask for the photo isn't essential.

Thank you for the replies and help. I still haven't figured it out yet, but I'm sure I'm the problem here. I do better watching someone explain things than I am comprehending it in print. I'll keep you posted.

Well, I was able to get it to work by using a combination of the techniques you gals gave me...lol. Leave it to me to find a more difficult way to do things. I've been so frustrated with this, I'm pretty sure I can now curse in 8 languages.

Thank you for the replies and help. I still haven't figured it out yet, but I'm sure I'm the problem here. I do better watching someone explain things than I am comprehending it in print. I'll keep you posted.

I hear ya!! One of the reasons I only try to buy psd files now!

• 4 months later...

I suspect it has to do with the layer order. It looks like you are clipping the photo to the frame rather than putting it below the frame. Not all templates have a photo mask layer to clip the photo to. When I'm working with that type of frame, I just use a layer mask to make my photo fit within the frame.

• Select the area with the marquis tool - making sure the edges of your selection overlap the frame a bit so you won't get a gap.
  • Make sure your photo layer is active and add a layer mask. The icon looks like a square with a circle inside.

I work in CS6, but I think the process is quite similar in PSE. Let us know if you need screenshots.

Is it too late to ask for those screenshots? :)

I just got home from helping out with a new grandbaby, but I can get you some screenshots tomorrow.

I just got home from helping out with a new grandbaby, but I can get you some screenshots tomorrow.

Fantastic! Take your time and enjoy that new grandbaby! Congratulations

You could also use the rectangular marquee tool to draw a rough rectangle over each photo spot (plus a tiny bit of frame) then right click and "layer via copy." That way you have a new layer to use as a photo mask. Just move it under the frame. This is the same idea April mentioned, but you end up with mask layers. So your layers would be - bottom: mask. middle:photo (then Control G). top: frame. Of course, you'd have two layers for every photo opening. Save the whole thing as a psd and you can use it again.

With so many photos so close together, trying to get a different photo under each frame opening is pretty tricky. I did it before I learned the marquee tool, and I definitely wouldn't do it again.

You could also use the rectangular marquee tool to draw a rough rectangle over each photo spot...

That's the same marquee I use to trim the photo, so it's very simple. Of course, I prefer your way of creating a new mask layer if I want to reposition the photo at a later time. Otherwise, I'm minimalistic with number of layers and file size.

• 1 month later...

Archived