Reformat EHD for Mac

SJDodd

Hello again! So, I have a new IMac (formerly used an HP) and have an external hard drive (that was formatted for an HP) that contains ALL of my scrapbooking items.

Bought some new stuff today from Scrapgirls and cannot save it to the external hard drive (because of the formatting) - can anyone offer suggestions for the best way to handle this?

Would like to keep all scrapbooking together - is it easiest to buy another EHD and copy everything over from one to the other? Can I even do that?

Sheesh, this transition has been tough!!

Thanks,

Sandy

Do you know how long it took me to figure out the issue was the EHD formatting??? I couldn't figure out why sometimes I could copy files and sometimes I couldn't!! I switched to a Mac desktop for work in June. A Macbook for scrapping in July. I LOVE them, but it's sort of silly the things I struggle with!

Formatting was simple, however, I don't remember how I did it!! I know you have to move EVERYTHING off of the EHD to do the formatting, then copy it back. I decided to buy new EHDs and then I could just copy over easily. If you can't find it through the disk utility function (or right click on the end) it is easy to download the software form the EHD support site. (as long as the end is new enough and compatible for both Mac/Windows)

Did I totally confuse you????

Hi Sandy,

How frustrating! I don't know how to reformat your particular EHD, I found directions on the actual EHD package when I did mine -- or you can try looking on the manufacturer's website.

But, I agree with Conda that I'm fairly certain you'd have to remove everything first, then reformat, then download it all back on.

Otherwise in reformatting you'd lose what is already on as reformatting clears the disk. I think it's all done through disk utility, the path to find that is --

Macintosh HD>Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility

(Well, at least that's where it is on my Macbook Pro.)

Good luck and let us know how you make out. :)

Thank you both! You can imagine how frustrated I am with this whole change over to a Mac and to a new version of Photoshop ELements (6 to 14, wow) and to find out that Picasa was no longer available to download. Finally figured out how to get a version of it for the Mac and thought I was back in the game. I still have lots to figure out with the new version of Elements, but I think the easiest way is to purchase a new ED and copy (at least for now) my scrapbooking items over to that. I think I have every item in the boutique...

Enjoy your weekend!

Sandy

• 1 year later...

If this belongs in a more appropriate thread please send me that way, thanks!  Years ago I had been scrapbooking with PSE on a PC, with my supplies and photos organized on an EHD. A few years have lapsed and during this time I got my first smartphone (iPhone) and my digital SLR camera died. My phone became my exclusive photo taking device, and I struggled to get my smartphone pics into my (very organized) photo organization on my EHD. When my laptop started giving out they convinced me to move to a Mac laptop. I bought a new Mac version of PSE which was quite an upgrade from what I used to use. I had my EHD reformatted so I can access and use my supplies, but I no longer have Picasa now on the Mac and I haven't figured out a good system for my photos yet. So I might be asking lots of questions in this one post, but I'm hoping someone else had made this move and I can learn from them. Guess my biggest questions are 1) how to organize photos on a Mac with an EHD and 2) what is comparable to Picasa for Mac or something to easily view and search for my supplies? Thanks in advance, I so appreciate your help!

Amy

I’m not sure if this answers your question, but I used the “Photos” Application on my Mac to organize my photos.  
I did once have a copy of it put on an EHD so it’s possible I think to use and organize from there.
I’ve never used any other program but iPhoto and now Photos on my Macs.
I even save the jpegs of my layouts in there.

Archived