installing styles in PSE 11

melissamargaret

Hi y'all--I had an issue with my OS and had to have a new one installed--and had, of course, to reinstall PSE off of the Adobe website. And now tried to reinstall styles which had been on the old 11 on to new one. I keep getting messages that these styles are not compatible with this version of PSE. What's up with that, does anyone know? PSE 11 is PSE 11, no? And of course some of these were my favorite styles. I kind of suspect that if I still had a disc drive and reinstalled via my discs, I probably wouldn't have a problem. They are properly installed--appear in the menu--but just won't run. Suggestions PLEASE!

I have PSE 13, working on Mac.

I have installed both kinds of styles you indicate with no problems.

My PSE 13 was a new copy downloaded from disc.

Not sure why yours wouldn't work.

I'm assuming if you had a new OS, then your entire computer was erased and you are starting new with everything?

Not that there could be something left from your first PSE 11?

Was that one totally uninstalled (if it needed to be)?

Just thinking....

Update--it seems to have something to do with whether the file looks like a sheet of paper (that works) or a credit card looking thing that says EXE (doesn't work)

I just saw something that mentioned that metadata files might be missing from earlier styles.

Not sure what that means or how to find them or if it's true, but might be worth looking into.

well, my bad, it was EXEC not EXE. Not that gets me any farther. On the plus side however I learned a lot researching EXE files.

That's very interesting about the metadata files. Almost all of my styles were purchased from SG. I wonder if they are still available at SG and ai can find documentation that I bought them (a somewhat dubious proposition but I did save a lot of stuff like that) I could get a re-download for free?

I'm not exactly sure what went on--I'm pretty hopeless untechy.. The computer would just stop halfway through booting up. My dear Mac guy at first thought the HD was going to have to be replaced but after running it through a bunch of diagnostics it turned out it was some issue with the operating system so they installed a new one and were pretty much able to retrieve the desktop files and my mail files. I had back up with Back Blaze but I was a little disappointed with that. The backup really didn't have much of anything that my guy hadn't already managed to retrieve. It didn't retrieve my font book in which I had tons of fonts I'd gotten off the internet and worse, the Photo app that was on the Restore flash drive was not the same one in which I'd meticulously organized a very large number of photos.

Anyway, of course my PSE 11 wasn't on there so I reinstalled from Adobe and thus began my problems with reinstalling my styles. One possible solution that occurs to me is this. I do still have the discs and an external disc drive. Do you suppose if I uninstalled the PSE that I got from Adobe via the internet and reinstalled what I originally had via disc, that the problem would be resolved? Oh dear, this is all so confusing!

One final note that may be of interest and groans. When I initially thought the problem was my HD I called Apple and was told that their warranty was now only for 6 months, no longer a year (I bought this computer 8 months ago). Doesn't show much respect for their product but a lot of respect for the bottom line.

Thanks so much for your support!

thinking...... .. hmmm

dont think metadata files can go missing? used to be u had to trash them for pse to rebuild itself after installing style, but i didnt have to do that in 13.

also just not sure that even if pse didnt show on new OS, some files didnt remain so youd need to uninstall first. but dont know thats so either

im typing with one finger and on way to pt sorry -- for messy typing! , but will think more on this.

usually back aways -- once installing style (I had PSE 6) I had to delete the metadata file and close PSE. when reopened I would see it automatically rebuilding - then all would be fine.

Problem is, I didn't have to do this at all now I have PSE 13. I just load style and it works. So i don't know its really an issue, just wondered.

I'm still thinking and will try to poke around/research, but moving slow right now post surgery so it takes a bit! And sorry if I don't always make sense!

I tried doing a search of the message you get; usually that works but nothing came up this time.

Since Ive had no trouble from PSE 6 to 13 with styles I'm wondering if like you said its the PSE installation?

It might be worth uninstalling and trying with the disc but I just don't know. I think tho' you have to be sure all is uninstalled before reinstalling. i recall I had some issues when they tried to just move my old PSE across from the old laptop to new.

PS and boo Apple on that new warranty policy. geesh...

Well, bless your heart for messing with this stuff post surgery. Hope you are recovering well and thanks for your continuing help.

I think most of my styles were put in the old fashioned way SG has such a mega selection of cool styles, I went on a bit of a bender. Speaking of SG styles, the one I used the very most was KVE starburst white #7601. The designer no longer appears to be with SG. If worst comes to worst and I am not able to recover styles, do you think there is something more or less equivalent in the current selection? It put an external white glow around things and it served me very well with the kind of stuff I do

Thanks again!

quick question for now.

your OS went, a new one was put on, you reinstalled PSE 11 from website, correct so far?

then what did you mean your styles were put in the old fashiooned way? When were they put in, now after the new OS or were they somehow carried over from before?

What I do now in PSE 13 is when I'm in the styles menu, I go to the drop down and pick "load styles", navigate on my computer to the one I want to install and continue -- then it appears with my stules then. I can explain more if needed.

have you tried something like that? not sure if it's same in 11. I actually have the style you refer too and like it and it works fine after I installed it in my new PSE 13, so I'm really puzzled why yours won't - unless it's a PSE 11 thing.

happy to help, just frustrtaing that I'm in this sling and it's so hard to type... actually - was cheating by pulling my hand out of it to type two handed.... but I've been cut off from that uh-oh.... so it takes a while, sigh....

I'll look when i can, I think maybe brandy might have some sort of light up style, but not sure.

let me know if you've installed your styles the way I did and when you installed them ok?.

Yes, I use Kerry Veale's Starburst styles all the time! Because it's retired, I don't know if Angie can help you get it back or not.

You might be able to get a similar effect with Brandy Murray's Sun Burst brushes http://store.scrapgirls.com/Brush-Set-Sun-Bursts.html.

I would try it on a separate layer below the one you would have applied the style to.

I don't remember which version of PSE stopped requiring deleting the metadata files, but you could check the Scrap Simple Handbook in the Boutique. http://store.scrapgirls.com/ScrapSimple-Instructions-Handbook.html

I went from I think Pse 8 (or whichever version went on a Mac) to PSE 11. I'm not sure how it got done but I still had all the styles. I'm pretty sure 11 was the first version that made it easy to install styles because II thinkPSE 10 (which I have on my laptop) was still the old way. I just took a look at it and there is no "Load Styles" option in the menu. I do know how to load the styles as I have done so successfully with several. It's just the ones in my file with the exec icon that won't open. I did actually try loading them the old way and interestingly enough the style title appeared in the menu thereafter but nothing else. Hope doing that wasn't a mistake, what with deleting the metadata.

I'll check out Brandy's style for sure! Thanks

So puzzling -- as the style you mentioned works ok for me when i reinstalled; unless its a PSE 11 issue?

What I'm wondering is, how you reinstalled your styles when you just had the OS issue and had to reinstall PSE 11 from the website? How did you get your styles back in?

Here is what it looks like on my 13 when styles are selected

post-19549-0-39844100-1479434847_thumb.png

When I downloaded PSE 11 from the Adobe site, it only had the Adobe default styles in it. So I figured I'd just load styles back from the folder I kept purchased styles in. All of them had been installed on PSE at some time or other. I just removed a lot of styles--it seemed like I had so many it was really slowing down PSE--and put them in a folder until I needed a specific style. This was done back at least 2 or 3 versions of PSE back.

It may be relevant that my original PSE 11 was NOT restored by BackBlaze

An interesting turn of events. I actually found a file that contained a number of styles (including the KVE one. Yay!), but not all. I appears to be in a presets file from some earlier incarnation of PSE. And the styles had that dog-eared paper looking icon that meant they could be loaded into my PSE 11.

Don't know why it's there, don't know why it doesn't contain more styles. Ours not to question why...

Ours just to be grateful

Thanks for all your help, my Dears!

An interesting turn of events. I actually found a file that contained a number of styles (including the KVE one. Yay!), but not all. I appears to be in a presets file from some earlier incarnation of PSE. And the styles had that dog-eared paper looking icon that meant they could be loaded into my PSE 11.

Don't know why it's there, don't know why it doesn't contain more styles. Ours not to question why...

Ours just to be grateful

Thanks for all your help, my Dears!

Oh wow, I still don't quite get it all and why it works or doesn't -- but sure am glad it did this time! Yay for you.

Still perplexing, tho' is why I am able to successfully install both type of styles - the "sheet of paper (that works) or a credit card looking thing that says EXE (doesn't work)".

By the way, I love your description - I've never been able to name or understand why they suddenly changed in look.

Oh well - just happy that you are set and always happy to be a part of the kind of help I've benefitted from here. :)

Archived