Photo using Content Aware

Easy enough to cover the pole left of her face with background leaves, but you would have to create the rest of her arm. It would probably look too fake. I would just leave it and try a creative coverup with embellishments and frames.

Just a quick idea here:

post-10845-0-74260800-1480464916.jpg

post-10845-0-74260800-1480464916_thumb.jpg

Easy enough to cover the pole left of her face with background leaves, but you would have to create the rest of her arm. It would probably look too fake. I would just leave it and try a creative coverup with embellishments and frames.

Just a quick idea here:

post-10845-0-74260800-1480464916.jpg

This is amazing and looks wonderful Linda.

That's a good tutorial video, Carol, but I think content aware will not work for terri's photo because the background behind the entire length of the pole is too varied (not just leaves, but also parts of arm, parts of railing, grass, tablecloth). Content aware works best when the object you want to disappear, is surrounded by the same background. So it worked well in the video example where the "stray bird" appears in front of a background of clouds.

Content aware takes the drudgery out of manually cloning background to cover something up. However, if it can't be done manually to look natural, then it can't be done with content aware either.

When the offending object is close to people, content aware may start cloning extra people parts. Freaky.

That's a good tutorial video, Carol, but I think content aware will not work for terri's photo because the background behind the entire length of the pole is too varied (not just leaves, but also parts of arm, parts of railing, grass, tablecloth). Content aware works best when the object you want to disappear, is surrounded by the same background. So it worked well in the video example where the "stray bird" appears in front of a background of clouds.

Content aware takes the drudgery out of manually cloning background to cover something up. However, if it can't be done manually to look natural, then it can't be done with content aware either.

When the offending object is close to people, content aware may start cloning extra people parts. Freaky.

I did have trouble trying to clear up some background in a photo of me holding one of my cats. All I got was the cloning of extra people/cat parts. Freaky it was.

The technique to preventing content aware from "unwanted cloning" (like an extra ear or eye!) is to mask everything you don't want content aware to think can be used as new background. Depending on what's in the photo, this can be as much work as manually cloning.

The technique to preventing content aware from "unwanted cloning" (like an extra ear or eye!) is to mask everything you don't want content aware to think can be used as new background. Depending on what's in the photo, this can be as much work as manually cloning.

Hi Linda! I had tried the content aware and it came up missing part of face and etc. Your advice about covering it is a good one....I ended up enlarging the photo, one person was removed but it worked. Thanks again!!

I took a little stab at it. I wouldn't even try to get rid of the large pole - I just worked on the one on the right. If I were scrapping it, I'd rotate the photo a bit so that the pole is straight. Covering it the way Linda showed is a great idea.

I used the clone tool with a fairly small brush and a bit of the spot healing brush. The results are usually better with a higher resolution image.

CloneTool.jpg

Archived