Photo Overlays - Would you use something like this

Since it will release in a few hours I'm not giving much away :-) I've got this month's ScrapSimple club and the theme behind it is your photos and turning them into a stunning spotlight for your layouts. So you get a set of word art to use on them (and a tutorial giving you tips to use it) a set of frames, mask and texture that can be added to your photo.

So today I was playing around and put together this set of photo overlays, that I've used in the past on photos. I created them as overlays, as PSE does not allow you to go in and adjust the layer mode on styles. And since photo styles aren't always a "one size fits all" the settings I have may not work on your photo. So with the overlays, you can use a clipping mask, attach to your photo and change the mode to something that fits your need. (there is also a style included for PS users)

Now that I look at it though, I wonder if this is something you might find useful or would use? So I thought I would come here and get some opinions on if this is something you would be interested in.

post-421-0-06331100-1484450772_thumb.jpg

So very interesting!! I have never used overlays like this but the changes on your sample photo are stunning! I would love something like this...as long as it includes the tutorial!!

Woo hoo!! Your club sounds awesome! Good thing I FINALLY filed all my purchases away so my download folder is ready for me! ;)

So very interesting!! I have never used overlays like this but the changes on your sample photo are stunning! I would love something like this...as long as it includes the tutorial!!

Woo hoo!! Your club sounds awesome! Good thing I FINALLY filed all my purchases away so my download folder is ready for me! ;)

I think I could handle a tutorial...lol

Angie these look great. I may not personally use them much but I am sure others would. But.... it might inspire me to play around with my photos more than what I normally do.

Wow, absolutely I would use them. I use PS, so I'd use the asl file, but I love styles to begin with, and lately I've been using several different photo effect styles. Yours look beautiful, I will definitely use them, please include them!!! (I also love the names you gave the different effects... hot chocolate, orange slice, nightfall...)

Wow, absolutely I would use them. I use PS, so I'd use the asl file, but I love styles to begin with, and lately I've been using several different photo effect styles. Yours look beautiful, I will definitely use them, please include them!!! (I also love the names you gave the different effects... hot chocolate, orange slice, nightfall...)

Yeah, I would use the .asl file also. The issue I was having is I would have it set and try it on a few photos and it would look good, then the next photo it wouldn't but if I changed the blend mode it worked. So that's when I went with the overlays because I knew PSE didn't have the option to change those blend modes like PS does.

I've used gradient overlays in PSE and love the different effects they give photos. I like them for setting a mood. Yours look intriguing and will be lots of fun to play with. Yay!

Alot of these are basically gradient overlays. I love using them, heck I love anything that allows me to play with the photo for a little extra "something"

I would LOVE these! I'm still intimidated by anything much beyond styles, so a work around for something more technical is always up my alley.

That was my thought behind these. I love actions, but honestly sometimes they are so hard to use even I give up on them. These are as simple as changing blending modes on an overlay to create the same look. And if you use PS, you can use the stlye that's supplied, and just go into it and change the blending modes there (instructions are included)

I want to add...I know alot of people love photo actions, or they use lightroom to edit photos. This item wouldn't necessarily be for them. These are more for the people that like the look of the fancy edited photos, but simply done.

Yeah, I would use the .asl file also. The issue I was having is I would have it set and try it on a few photos and it would look good, then the next photo it wouldn't but if I changed the blend mode it worked. So that's when I went with the overlays because I knew PSE didn't have the option to change those blend modes like PS does.

I just figured that out... that you can change the blend mode on PS styles. Awesome discovery! A designer I am not... but it was fun to figure that out. Anyway, I think if I couldn't change the blend mode on the styles, I'd definitely want the overlays, I think that's a great idea so they can be customized. I may still use them, even with PS.

Ok, just chiming in now - wow, a lot happens when you go to bed early!

I'd LOVE these Angie! I had a few photo actions in my old PSE, but they really are too much of a hassle to use in the new one with the patterns, etc - so I've never even installed them.

These look awesome and your photo examples are beautiful. For sure I would use these!

No, these are not part of the club. They will be released this week. They just work "along with" product in the club. There is a small style set included as the members only item, no overlays in that, just the style

Ok, I'm just glad it they will be available, that's great! Thanks Angie. :)

I think I could handle a tutorial...lol

I've never used these either, but definitely would love to start! I was trying to change the overall tone on a page this weekend, and really didn't know how to achieve the look I wanted and gave up. This is what I'm looking for. Love the different effects that they give the photos in your examples. Thank you, Angie!! Will watch for them.

I love overlays and use them a lot. As long as these will work in PSE I'm all for them. Tutorials would certainly help. I have to download the club and unzip everything tonight and maybe play a little with the club. It looks wonderful.

Archived