shumi18

Is it good choice to buy a second hand camera?

6 posts in this topic

One of my friend was thinking to buy a Nikon camera which has been used for 6 months! He is confused on buying it as its not the new one, though its really good! Is it a good choice to buy a second hand camera?

I've never bought anything like that second-hand, so not sure. I always worry that something might be wrong with it, is he able to see and try it out before buying?

I've known people who gave purchased and pref the prices of 2nd hand cameras. The generally sell for a lot less than original price.

If it's from someone he knows and trusts, then it should be ok. I'd be leary of buying one from a stranger without having it checked out first. And make sure he gets some kind of agreement in writing about the sale, too.

Two of my Nikon's have been purchased second-hand from reputable dealers, as well as several lenses and accessories. Never have had a problem. I probably wouldn't buy from Craigslist or eBay, but H&M Photo, or local dealers would not give me pause.

If it's from someone you know and trust you should be fine. I would ask to be able to take a few photos with it, with the buyer there and be able to view them (on a computer monitor or something) to make sure it works properly.

Also something to keep in mind is how many "clicks" has that camera had? Camera's shutter generally only last so many clicks. They are all rated, I would look up the specific brand and what it's rated then see how many clicks it's had. Generally if the camera is only a few months old, you are probably not near the clicks it's listed as. But if someone does alot of sports photos like I do, that can easily take 1000 pics per game/event could have used alot already