Lost a Folder

I have trouble trying to sort folders on my Mac. I had a ton on my desktop.....thought I would start sorting them...I tried to drag them to my folder but of course they are still on my desktop....then I tried renaming the folder, the Dump and put a bunch of folders in it...now it's disappeared and I can't find it!! Ugh!! I tried spotlight....I get a ton of stuff pulling from Safari...all I want is that folder!! So much for organization!!

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!!

Did you try searching in Finder? That's what I normally do when I lose something.

I did...I'm baffled found a folder with that name but empty!! I meant I had tried to drag the files into finder.....then how do you get them off your desktop? Anyway still looking....current files and pictures I'm working with! Ugh!!

Did you try searching in Finder? That's what I normally do when I lose something.

I did...I'm baffled found a folder with that name but empty!! I meant I had tried to drag the files into finder.....then how do you get them off your desktop? Anyway still looking....current files and pictures I'm working with! Ugh!!

When I want to get things off my desktop, I create a new folder - I have one sort of like you said called "Desktop Stuff"

Then I just drag and drop from the desktop into that folder. But it sounds like that's what you were doing? Were you doing it directly from the desktop or from the sidebar in Finder?

Another thing you might do is if you remember the names of some of the missing files, search for them in the finder search box, then click on the file (hopefully you'll see it) and then follow it's path at the bottom of the finder box to see where it is.

Have you tried this? Sorry if you've already done these steps. :)

When I want to get things off my desktop, I create a new folder - I have one sort of like you said called "Desktop Stuff"

Then I just drag and drop from the desktop into that folder. But it sounds like that's what you were doing? Were you doing it directly from the desktop or from the sidebar in Finder?

Another thing you might do is if you remember the names of some of the missing files, search for them in the finder search box, then click on the file (hopefully you'll see it) and then follow it's path at the bottom of the finder box to see where it is.

I never could find the missing file so I went into time machine and pulled the files from a previous day....Yes, I've tried dragging the file from the desktop to the sidebar in finder.....BUT I still have it on my desktop....so basically it duplicated it, instead of simply moving it.

I never could find the missing file so I went into time machine and pulled the files from a previous day....Yes, I've tried dragging the file from the desktop to the sidebar in finder.....BUT I still have it on my desktop....so basically it duplicated it, instead of simply moving it.

Ok, so from what I know, that's why you have duplicates. You need to go directly, physically to your desktop where you can see your screensaver (close all other windows) and create a folder there. Then drag and drop the files directly from the desktop into that folder.

I've also opened "Desktop" in a Finder window and then drag and dropped into a folder I created there. I haven't had it duplicate that way either, the actual file goes in and you hear that "bonk" noise when it does. :D

Does that help? Hoping you've found all your files and are all set!

Ok, so from what I know, that's why you have duplicates. You need to go directly, physically to your desktop where you can see your screensaver (close all other windows) and create a folder there. Then drag and drop the files directly from the desktop into that folder.

I've also opened "Desktop" in a Finder window and then drag and dropped into a folder I created there. I haven't had it duplicate that way either, the actual file goes in and you hear that "bonk" noise when it does. :D

Hi Marj!! Thank goodness I was able to recover them all!! Actually that's what I did...went to screensaver and created a "Working" file...put all current things I was working on....this is where it changed....I wanted to put it in the sidebar of finder and declutter my desktop....when I do it then that file is still on my desktop. So in other words its on the sidebar and on the desktop...2 places.

Hi Marj!! Thank goodness I was able to recover them all!! Actually that's what I did...went to screensaver and created a "Working" file...put all current things I was working on....this is where it changed....I wanted to put it in the sidebar of finder and declutter my desktop....when I do it then that file is still on my desktop. So in other words its on the sidebar and on the desktop...2 places.

Glad it worked out and everything is found, whew... :)

Archived