organizing layouts

ladyscrapalot

So I'm in the process of organizing my digital photos and slowly making progress. I have my stash pretty much organized the way I like it, though I probably could tweak it here and there. I'm wondering what about organization of my layouts. I currently have them organized by challenges. For example I have a folder for Artist Trading Cards then sub folders for each year and monthly nested in those sub folders. I don't think my psd files are quite as organize (to be told I haven't looked in awhile) So I was wondering how everyone else organizes their finished LOs. Do you keep the psd file with the finished page or do you have separate files for psds and finished los?

I have one folder for "PSD Files" which I have started to move over to an EHD as it takes up a large space on my hardrive. So, now I have a PSD File on my EHD and one on my laptop and periodically move the pages over.

I store all my jpeg layouts in "Photos" on my Mac; I store them by year. "Scrapbook 2017", "Scrapbook 2016", etc.

Now that I think of it, that's not much organization, but I normally don't have trouble finding things! ;)

I have a folder for layouts by year that I do them. Inside that folder, I have a folder for my SG52, cards, calendars, need to print and need to back up. Oh and saved for web. I save a copy of my finished Lo in need to print and back up, then delete it when I either print or back up to another ehd. I have the psd and jpeg saved as well. I know it's overkill, since they are all in the same folders, but it works for me.

I have several folders saved in the My Documents main folder: Scrapbook Pages in Progress, Scrapbook Pages Complete, Scrapbook Pages JPEG, Scrapbook Pages to Print, Scrapbook Pages Web. When a page is complete, I save to the Complete Folder, Print folder, JPEG folder, and Web folder, then delete from the In Progress folder. Once I print the page, I delete it from the Print folder. This setup

works for me. If I ever get to much in these folders in my PC, I'll just move them to an External Hard Drive.

I keep all versions of the same layout together, myself. I have a "My Layouts" folder in my Scrap Girls folder, with subfolders by type or album. But April is right. Everyone's brain is wired uniquely - so set it up so it works best for you. A good question to ask is, "Where would I look for this?"

Yes, I agree with April that you should do what works best for you. However, sometimes when I hear how others do something I get an ah-ha moment. It might be an "ooo why didn't I think of that" or it might lead me to figure out even a different way. So I'm going to think about all of this and tweak my system a bit. Thanks ladies!

Archived