Help Using a Template

I downloaded Brandy's Grunge Block 2....not sure this is the idea behind this template....let me know what you think.....I just think maybe they were meant to blend various papers together....plus the photos she used had very little back ground....please advise.

This is about this girl who is suffering from cancer...second page will talk more about that.

post-7357-0-32545500-1487280872_thumb.jpg

I tihnk you're fine, too. I almost always use photos in the grunge block templates and background blenders - occasionally I also wondered if they were meant for that. But, the most important thing is that you are happy with your creation and you can always change templates to make them your own! If you'd like, you can post the rest of your page(s) when you're ready so we all can share in how they turned out. :)

Here's one where I recently used a photo in a Grunge Block Template

Christmas Stockings

Awesome job!! I'm still wondering if mine needs more..... Did you separate the pngs out and place them on page for a custom look? I'm still trying to figure that out.

I also did it in white..... I think yours looks more like it's supposed to be.....

I see the writing I did at the bottom is kind of lost. I had a sentence down there not the Life is...

I am attaching the one with Brandy's papers....this looks better to me because of the blend.....not 100% sure they work with what I've already done...but the other page would coordinate

We must be close to the same age!!

post-7357-0-04427400-1487370694_thumb.jpg

post-7357-0-31102200-1487373977_thumb.jpg

I like the white better than the black background. Can you move the lettering up to the top left corner as I think that would look better. You may need to change the colour of the word "is".

Here's one where I recently used a photo in a Grunge Block Template

Christmas Stockings

Awesome job!! I'm still wondering if mine needs more..... Did you separate the pngs out and place them on page for a custom look? I'm still trying to figure that out.

I also did it in white..... I think yours looks more like it's supposed to be.....

I see the writing I did at the bottom is kind of lost. I had a sentence down there not the Life is...

I am attaching the one with Brandy's papers....this looks better to me because of the blend.....not 100% sure they work with what I've already done...but the other page would coordinate

We must be close to the same age!!

Hi Terri - what I do is work with the psd file and clip either a photo or a background paper to each piece of the template.

I felt the black was too dark. Very much like the one you did with Brandy's papers.

I felt the black was too dark. Very much like the one you did with Brandy's papers.

Frustrated...kind of wish I hadn't bought this....here's screenshot of second page...I have tried adding various pngs to this for second photo. I love flowers but I normally scrap around the function...therefore I don't always think flowers work.

Frustrated...kind of wish I hadn't bought this....here's screenshot of second page...I have tried adding various pngs to this for second photo. I love flowers but I normally scrap around the function...therefore I don't always think flowers work.

post-7357-0-84252000-1487450182.png

I like the composition and colors. If you're not sure about using flowers, would there be some other embellishments more symbolic of the fundraiser?

post-7357-0-84252000-1487450182.png

I like the composition and colors. If you're not sure about using flowers, would there be some other embellishments more symbolic of the fundraiser?

I actually think the flowers are fine....not sure about another type of embellishment for a fundraiser that would blend...what I need help with is the second photo and blending it with the background.

Hi Terri,

Can you take the same photo mask used on page one and use that on page two?

I would just click on it on page one and drag it to page two - if the photo also drags you can delete it and then clip the second photo to it.

You can make the mask/photo whatever size works for that page - most likely the size your photo is right now.

Hi Terri,

I would just click on it on page one and drag it to page two - if the photo also drags you can delete it and then clip the second photo to it.

You can make the mask/photo whatever size works for that page - most likely the size your photo is right now.

Duh that was easy...I had pulled a mask out of the png files but wasn't showing up....I am attaching second page....I changed the text page...wasn't sure about telling the story about her that's on the green line would run into the text???? Thoughts?

post-7357-0-80223100-1487524528_thumb.jpg

post-7357-0-81655400-1487524842_thumb.jpg

Hi Terri,

Duh that was easy...I had pulled a mask out of the png files but wasn't showing up....I am attaching second page....I changed the text page...wasn't sure about telling the story about her that's on the green line would run into the text???? Thoughts?

I'm not sure what you mean about running into the text; I actually like the first version with the fancy paper, but that's up to your own preference.

Here's another thought. If you look at the piece you've clipped the bottom photo to, there's a lot of gray around where the photo doesn't reach. You can either resize the photo larger (which might not work since there's a high top to the mask); or clip another paper behind it. I'm looking at that soft green at the top. Can you clip that same background to the mask and then clip the photo on top of it?

Added note: when I first tried the paper ended up on top - if that happens just switch them over on the layers palette. It might give a nice mat to the pic, too.

Here'e what I mean - I have the grunge block collection and think I've found the piece you are using but it will work for any of them. Please excuse the photo and background - doesn't match but I grabbed something quick!

post-19549-0-91021700-1487527167_thumb.jpg

See how the background fills in those gray spaces? You can use whatever you want behind the photo.

post-7357-0-81655400-1487524842.jpg

Tough choice, they both look nice!

As MariJ mentioned, there is all that grey masking around the photo. How about using that area (rather than the top) for your journal text? Then I would use the "magazine article" background. Your journalling would look like photo captioning, which goes well with the magazine article look. Move photo up so captioning isn't too close to bottom edge.

post-7357-0-81655400-1487524842.jpg

Tough choice, they both look nice!

As MariJ mentioned, there is all that grey masking around the photo. How about using that area (rather than the top) for your journal text? Then I would use the "magazine article" background. Your journalling would look like photo captioning, which goes well with the magazine article look. Move photo up so captioning isn't too close to bottom edge.

Oh, great idea Linda! And, Terri for sure - we're all here to learn and help each other and you're doing great! :)

I think that looks great and Linda's suggestion about journaling looks good!

I've had so much help from ScrapGirl friends through the years as we all have. We all like to reciprocate, just wait - someday you'll be telling someone else how to use those templates. :)

I want to thank of you for all of your support and help! I was so frustrated with this one!! I think I learned a lot!! I saw what Margi did above and loved it with red gray and white....I'm still a little thrown about what papers to put with these templates, that's why I used Brandy's papers....for future use of the templates it seems to me you need a lot of background with white in it? Would you agree??

You can actually use whatever you'd prefer and what looks pleasing to you. Or even go by what you need to be scrapping at any given moment.

Here's one where I used Brandy's Grunge Block Templates and mostly photos -

Layout

Wow! Talk about being creative!! Beautiful!! Did you just make sure enlarge your photos to cover the mask? Did you do that also with the blocks?? I am creating a photo book for sorority...I get a lot of iPhone photos....hard to enlarge very much... This is a wonderful page, thank you for sharing and hope you are doing well.

Hi Terri, yes - I pulled the photos big enough to cover the masks and blocks. I know what you mean about phone photos, they don't enlarge well.

In that case you can maybe use a background behind the photo like you did in your page above. Good luck!

Hi Terri, yes - I pulled the photos big enough to cover the masks and blocks. I know what you mean about phone photos, they don't enlarge well.

In that case you can maybe use a background behind the photo like you did in your page above. Good luck!

I'm trying to figure out how to get my text show up at very bottom of this layout....if you look real close I had done some journaling under life is......the script paper is kind of running into it plus he's got a glob of yellow on his shirt....how do I fix this?

Make sure that in the layers panel on the right (that's where it is in my PSE) the text layer is ALL the way at the top so you are sure it is over & not under some of the other layers. The way it looks now I'd suspect it's under your mask so it's partly showing through.

Try clicking on your text layer and dragging it all the way to the top of the layers. Or (in my PSE) click on the layer than go to the top and Layer>Arrange>Bring to Front.

Good luck and hope that helps.

You might also have to darken the text color or even make it bold; or use a font that is thicker. I'm not sure, it depends on how it looks once you try that.

Margi has been doing her best to help me....is there a way to get rid of pattern across her hands?? Also text is lost that I added below picture...I tried adding a gray paper underneath but doesn't change anything....I'm used to being able to use a layer mask...but that's not doing anything either.

post-7357-0-23032000-1488223966_thumb.png

Archived