Organizing Digital Photos - finding duplicates

ladyscrapalot

I've been working on a 10 week digital photo organization challenge that I found on Pinterest. I've been making good progress but have come to a brief stand still. The blogger of the challenge had recommended a free downloadable software that is able to find duplicate photos so that you can delete the copies if you want. The challenge is from 2015 and the software hasn't been update since 2013. After some research I found one the wasn't connected to malware but the free version didn't work with photos. The paid version, "Duplicate Cleaner Pro" does work on digital photos as well as other types of files. I'm debating if I want to spend the $30. Has anyone used this program? What about other programs? I suppose I could go through each file to see if there are duplicates but I think that would take for ever knowing how disorganized my files were/are.

HMMMM. Interesting. I haven't used (or heard of!!) such a thing. *I* would worry about a lack of control using such a program. (I'm NOT saying I have a control issue...) That said, I really have no idea how a program like that works.

I would probably do it the old-fashioned way myself - I wouldn't trust a program to delete any of my precious photos without my okay on each one!

Interestingly, in all the "declutter your life" articles that one reads in the new year, I read one about decluttering your photos. With digital photos, we take so many just because we can - but not all of them are very good, and the best ones are buried in the "clutter" of all the mediocre and just plain bad ones. Think about how many photos you have taken and will continue to take in your lifetime - and what you will leave behind someday for someone else to deal with. If it's a chore for you to find the gems in your files, think what it will be like for someone else!

The article I read recommended going through and culling out the best ones and just dumping the rest. I'm not sure I could dump any yet (I'll admit, I'm a photo hoarder), but I do plan to go through and put my "best" photos in a separate folder within a folder for each date or event, i.e., 2016 Dec Christmas for a main folder and 2016 Dec Christmas Best for the ones that "make the cut." The goal would be to eventually edit, crop and print out those best photos for albums or photobooks or use them to scrap. (Maybe I'm a little OCD, but I make a folder inside that one for edits, because I never save over my original photo.) Before I get ready to print or use them, I will look at the main folder again just to make sure there are not any I left in there that I really want, and if not, I guess I will bring myself to delete them at that point.

It is a really overwhelming task, especially if you haven't been using some type of a folder system to store them, but if you have a laptop that you use at night while watching TV, you could devote 15-20 minutes to it every couple of nights consistently and you will eventually eat that elephant!

I use a free PC cleaner called CCleaner, have for some years. Just recently learned that it has a duplicate finder. I used it for a VERY large file by one designer. It found all the dupes, mostly pngs. I then went to the files them selves to see what to keep or delete. It worked well, if simply. I don't know what all the file extensions that it finds. Haven't used it enough. One word of caution!!!! The new version has some issues, but you can download the last version on their web site, which is what I am using. If you use ACDSee it also has a duplicate finder.

I use Duplicate Cleaner Pro. I find it very helpful, and it hasn't steered me wrong yet. It also works for music files. They have a free version also, more parameters you can control than in the free version.

Thanks, Barbara! I think I'm going to get it. You always seem very knowledgeable in things like this.

Archived