Error that file is larger than 2gb in PSE 15

GSA

I just upgraded to PSE 15 from PSE 5...big learning curve. I got my first page scrapped and went to save the page as a PSD but I keep getting an error message that the file is over 2 go and can't save. I did use a template with a ton of layers and I suspect this is the issue from all my efforts to find an answer googling. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue? I saved it as a JPEG but of course would like to keep my PSD copy if I need to edit later.

wow, that's a huge file! i looked at some of my PSDs; the big ones are around 200 MB. are the photos you're using in raw format? if so, maybe start by saving the photos in jpg format? good luck!

Me too, I thought I had some huge Art Journaling layout files files and looked them up and they were 400 MB at most!

I'm trying to remember, just recently April shared a tip about "tricking" PSE into thinking a file you were saving was smaller. If I recall correctly she put a white or blank (can't remember) page on the very top of your layers when saving. It's maybe worth a try and I'll see if I can find what she said.

FOUND IT!

Here's the tip April suggested:

"I suppose having fewer layers might make the saved file a little smaller, but if it is file size you're concerned about, putting a plain white layer as the top layer can trick Photoshop into saving a smaller file (hide it before you save it as a jpg and then turn it back on when you save the psd)."

See if that helps? Good luck in your new learning. :)

It would probably take 4 entire scrapbook collection biggies to add up to 2GB. I wonder if something else is going on here. Do you have images moved off to the sides that you thought you might use, but didn't? Is your canvas size bigger than 12x12 at 300 dpi? Are there some layers you can merge or simplify? (especially ones where you painstakingly fixed flaws with many adjustment masks - no need to keep those separate layers).

Archived