Editing Photos Using Layers

Deb C.

I am having problems using layers while editing a photo. I am using PSE 9 on a MacBook Pro running Yosemite.

For instance, I am editing a photo of my Mom and Dad, using the spot healing brush on their faces and whitening Mom's teeth. These are my layers:
Pearly White 1 (Mask)
Mom's Teeth
Dad's Face
Mom's Face
Background

OK, now I think I am finished......but......I see something else I want to fix on Mom's face. When I click on that layer, it won't let me fix anything now. How can I fix something on that layer now? I have never been able to figure it out and I know there must be a way.

Thanks for your help!
Deb C.

I am having problems using layers while editing a photo... When I click on that layer, it won't let me fix anything now. How can I fix something on that layer now?

Once you have a particular edit perfected e.g. teeth whitened, merge those two layers together. Now you can continue editing the layer (directly as MariJ suggested) or add another adjustment layer (as Debby suggested).

I have a hard time working with too many layers. My brain can't keep track of them all - what one layer is doing to another, and is it covering up what I'm trying to do on yet another. So I tend to merge layers when I'm done a particular edit. I guess most of my projects end up with 9 layers at the most.

Are you using layer masks? I don't know that I've ever used multiple mask layers to edit one photo. It'd make sense, if possible, when you want to make so many different edits. Just can't picture what you're doing. Can you include a screen shot of your workspace / layers view?

Thanks, girls! It worked!!

I merged my top 2 layers together (Pearly Whites and Moms Teeth) and then I added another layer at the top. It then let me do more editing on their faces.

I have been struggling with this same issue for a very long time. I'm glad I finally took the time to ask you ladies. Thank you SO much!!

FYI - - This site is wonderful. I posted this same question on another scrapbooking forum about a day before I posted it here. On the other forum, not one person has tried to help. On this site, I had five people who responded. Thanks again!! It is much appreciated!!

Deb C.

Thanks, girls! It worked!!

I merged my top 2 layers together (Pearly Whites and Moms Teeth) and then I added another layer at the top. It then let me do more editing on their faces.

I have been struggling with this same issue for a very long time. I'm glad I finally took the time to ask you ladies. Thank you SO much!!

FYI - - This site is wonderful. I posted this same question on another scrapbooking forum about a day before I posted it here. On the other forum, not one person has tried to help. On this site, I had five people who responded. Thanks again!! It is much appreciated!!

Deb C.

Awwwww... I agree - ScrapGirls are the best! :)

OK, this brings up another question I have been wondering about.

When I say I am editing on different layers, this is what I do: I click on the background photo and hit control J which copies the background layer. Then I make my edits on Moms face and while I am still on that layer, I hit control J again and then I make my edits on Dads face. It works doing it that way except that you can't go back and change any of those edits. Is this the correct way of doing this?

I have just been kind of winging it and I think I am doing things the hard way.

Thanks for your help.

Deb C.

MacBook Pro

Yosemite

PSE 9

OK, this brings up another question I have been wondering about.

When I say I am editing on different layers, this is what I do: I click on the background photo and hit control J which copies the background layer. Then I make my edits on Moms face and while I am still on that layer, I hit control J again and then I make my edits on Dads face. It works doing it that way except that you can't go back and change any of those edits. Is this the correct way of doing this?

Thanks for your help.

Deb C.

MacBook Pro

Yosemite

PSE 9

Hi Deb, see this is where I get lost. Me too, I do it your way except for not using layers. I'm interested in what others do. I know sometimes masks and black and white is used as correction, but don't think it's on photo edits.

I'm waiting to learn along with you. :)

Hmm... yes, this is an unusual way to go about editing. I thought when you said you were using layers that you were talking about adjustment or mask layers. This is how graphic designers do "non-destructive" editing. It seems that you intuitively want to do non-destructive editing, but you are actually doing destructive editing on a copy. This is why you couldn't see edits you were making - your copied layer was covering the layer you were editing. If you turn off that top layer's visibility, you can see that you actually were making edits. However, I would not edit in this manner.

You can google for "photoshop non-destructive editing" or "photoshop adjustment layers". Also check out YouTube videos on the subject.

Hmm... yes, this is an unusual way to go about editing. I thought when you said you were using layers that you were talking about adjustment or mask layers. This is how graphic designers do "non-destructive" editing. It seems that you intuitively want to do non-destructive editing, but you are actually doing destructive editing on a copy. This is why you couldn't see edits you were making - your copied layer was covering the layer you were editing. If you turn off that top layer's visibility, you can see that you actually were making edits. However, I would not edit in this manner.

You can google for "photoshop non-destructive editing" or "photoshop adjustment layers". Also check out YouTube videos on the subject.

I was hoping you would comment on this, Linda - very interesting and what you say makes perfect sense.

I think adjustment layers are what I was thinking about, but I don't know how to do that!

Destructive editing sounds bad, but it's not a crime. I do it all the time for simple edits, say red-eye removal. Destructive editing means that once you close your project, all your edits are permanent. So when I reopen my project, there is no red-eye. I am happy. I continue with the project.

Now here is a story where I am not happy. I want to erase a cluttered background. I use an eraser and spend an hour painstakingly erasing around people's heads and bodies. Then I close my project and go have lunch. After lunch, I re-open my project and to my horror I see that I erased someone's ear and another person's finger! Curses, destructive editing!

However, in an alternate universe, I don't use the eraser tool, I use a layer mask. Painting with a black brush "erases". I close my project and go have lunch. After lunch, I re-open my project. Uh-oh, a missing ear and finger. No problem. On my layer mask, I use a white brush to paint back in the missing parts. Yay, non-desructive editing! I am happy. I continue with the project.

For edits that take a lot of time and precise selections, I want to do non-destructive editing with a layer mask.

Thanks again, ladies. Linda, if I do edits like a lot of blemish removal, etc. on someone's face, and I do it the destructive way......will that harm the resolution of the picture when I print it? Will you be able to tell that I have done it the "bad" way when I print it? Like not being as smart, etc.

I guess I'm wondering if I should just start all over again with this picture. It is a very good pic of Mom and Dad and I want to enlarge it.

Thanks.

Deb C.

... the destructive way......will that harm the resolution of the picture when I print it? Will you be able to tell that I have done it the "bad" way when I print?

I guess I'm wondering if I should just start all over again with this picture. It is a very good pic of Mom and Dad and I want to enlarge it.

To be clear - destructive editing is not a bad thing unless you want to go back and undo something specific many edits ago. If you reopen your project and find you made a mistake, you can't simply undo it. Fixing the mistake may be so difficult that you just have to start all over!

It's like putting up drywall and wallpaper, then realizing you've covered up the only outlet in the room. Horrendous work to fix. However, with non-destructive editing, the drywall and wallpaper can magically disappear and reappear, making your fix-it work minimal.

However, if you have not made a mistake that you have to go back and fix (or the mistake is so easy to fix at any point in time e.g. crop off more edge), who cares? Your finished printed project looks exactly the same.

Destructive editing (specifically, not using layer masks) has absolutely nothing to do with print resolution. Zero, zilch, nada.

Enlarging a photo is entirely dependent on its original pixel resolution. If you downsample an image i.e. permanently discard pixels, then you have lowered its resolution and therefore limited the amount it can be enlarged before pixelation becomes obvious.

... the destructive way......will that harm the resolution of the picture when I print it? Will you be able to tell that I have done it the "bad" way when I print?

To be clear - destructive editing is not a bad thing unless you want to go back and undo something specific many edits ago. If you reopen your project and find you made a mistake, you can't simply undo it. Fixing the mistake may be so difficult that you just have to start all over!

It's like putting up drywall and wallpaper, then realizing you've covered up the only outlet in the room. Horrendous work to fix. However, with non-destructive editing, the drywall and wallpaper can magically disappear and reappear, making your fix-it work minimal.

However, if you have not made a mistake that you have to go back and fix (or the mistake is so easy to fix at any point in time e.g. crop off more edge), who cares? Your finished printed project looks exactly the same.

Destructive editing (specifically, not using layer masks) has absolutely nothing to do with print resolution. Zero, zilch, nada.

Enlarging a photo is entirely dependent on its original pixel resolution. If you downsample an image i.e. permanently discard pixels, then you have lowered its resolution and therefore limited the amount it can be enlarged before pixelation becomes obvious.

Such great info and explanations Linda - thank you!

And user layer masks is what I was trying to think about, I just don't know how to do it. :)

... layer masks is what I was trying to think about, I just don't know how to do it. :)

Go to youtube and search for "photo shop non-destructive editing". There are so many, and not all of them are good at explaining, but it's a start. I like this one. The guy is really good. You only have to watch it once to grasp the concept. You need to watch it several times to learn how to duplicate his examples.

That being said, there are times when destructive editing is perfectly OK! Red-eye? Click-click gone. Looks perfect. Didn't need or want a layer mask to do it.

Archived