Looking for photo tray option for Photoshop

diannecp

If I recall correctly, when I used PSE, it had a photo tray option where I could select all the photos I was going to use and just drag them onto my layout when I was ready.

I always have a horrible time opening and inserting photos on my Mac. Sometimes pictures I took a week or so ago aren't available/imported yet. And I hate having multiple tabs of photos open. I haven't tried Bridge yet - is anyone familiar with that? Looking for any tips that would make creating layouts and working with multiple photos easier, especially tips for the Mac (I have such a love/hate relationship with it).

Thanks.

Hmmmmmm... I work on a Mac in PSE and I'm not sure what you mean by the photos are not imported/available yet? Are you taking them from "Photos" or from another place? In my old PSE6 it was easy to simply drag-and-drop photos directly from iPhoto into PSE. When I upgraded to PSE13 I can't do that anymore. It's a pain but what I do is drag photos into the Download file and from there they can drag and drop into PSE. Go figure, I have no idea why that works.

You can also go to File>Open and then navigate to Photos but I have WAY too many photos for that to be manageable. I've found if I click the heart for "Favorite" on the photos I want to import, it's easier to File>Open and go to the "Favorites" File.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I'm answering what you asked? When working with multiple photos I usually put them all on the layout and work from there. I know there is this new feature using tabs where you can drop one item on top of another so you have one photo with say 5 tabs/photos but I don't like that feature at all....

I've never used Bridge so can't help there!

Hm, the "Favorites" option is an interesting one. I'm playing around with Lightroom & Lightroom Mobile this evening and I like that it just makes virtual copies so no extra space taken up. So I can edit in LR and then pull those edits into PS. But that's still just one photo at a time.

If I go to File>Open and navigate to my Photos, pictures I took this evening are not available there. :( Even though they are available/visible in the Photos app. So weird. File management is one thing I hate about the Mac. Too much out of the users control . . . one thing I miss about Windows (okay, rant over!)

I was going to say that's never happened to me, but then realized I rarely use File>Open ---- except now that I've discovered the "Favorites" trick. THEN, I remembered that has happened to me after marking a photo as a "favorite" it didn't show in File>Open although previously tagged ones did.

I think I got it to work if I closed photos and opened it again, then the photos showed? Can't remember, maybe it was PSE I closed?

Now I'm thinking that what I thought was me maybe was the program!

I remember thinking it was almost like Photos didn't recognize that I'd tagged those Favorites until I reset it.

Maybe what you're experiencing is the same sort of thing and you could try closing Photos once you upload and then see if they then show in FIle>Open?

But, for sure it's silly to have to go through all that. It was easy before to drag and drop directly from iPhoto right into PSE. It may be progress, but I was much happier with iPhoto over Photos.

I don't know if this is much help at all, I'm just kind of thinking out loud. ;)

I got my Mac just in time for iPhotos to go away and be replaced with Photos. It's the most frustrating thing for me with the Mac. I'm making an effort to figure out Lightroom (and like I said, basically I'm looking for a way to select photos I want to use for a layout and put them in a "tray" of sorts).

Oh, gosh funny thing is, me too. I got a new laptop and it had iPhoto on, but was the wrong one so was sent back. The one that came back had Photos and I've not been at all happy with it. Actually, Photos frustrates me so much one of my recent birthday gifts was a "Missing Manual" book on it!

So when you say you'd like to put your photos in a 'tray' do you mean outside of PhotoShop, not in the Photo Bin in the workspace? (or whatever they call it, I'm not good with names!)

Again, I'm sorry I'm not much help but it's nice to knowi it's not only me that dislikes that new program.

I wasn't aware of a photo bin option for PS, Marij! I'll have to look for that. Sounds like what I'm thinking of.

I took a screenshot of my program, but I work in PSE 13. This was much different than my previous PSE 6 where the Photo Bin was always there. In this newer version, the Photo Bin is there until I click on a tool and then "Tool Options" appear. I have to then click on the "Photo Bin" icon in the bottom left to get it back, it's a pain and I preferred when it just stayed there.

You can see the April Motivators chart large in my workspace and the photo bin below -- right now all that's there is the chart but if I had other items/photos open they would be there too! :)

post-19549-0-68331400-1491053226_thumb.png

Archived