Can't figure these SS templates out

diannecp

I'm trying to use some SS templates and not having much luck. I'm usually good with photo masks and borders. The templates with multiple layers have me confounded though (I've spent far too much time today but am determined to figure this out). In particular, am trying to use SNU_SSEmb_ArtMix_Blended and also ABR_SSPaper_StreetGrunge2.

With the ArtMix, I can't figure out how to get the photo to show up better. I assumed the photo should be clipped to the mask layer? Even with paper behind, it still doesn't show up nicely.

With the Grunge paper, I'm happy with the look of the paper over the template but am not sure how to get the blank areas filled with color?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

ArtMix-layers.tiff

ArtMix-photo.tiff

ABR_Grunge_paper.tiff

ABR_Grunge-layers.tiff

When I want more of my photo to show up more on a grungy template, I get a grungy brush that works with the feel of the template and brush it on the photo mask layer where I want more opacity. I've sent a message to Angie and Syndee, so they may be able to help you more than I have.

Hi Dianne,

Which of the Art Mix blended templates are you talking about or all of them? I do know that some masks are meant to be more faint so that the photo blends into the background, but not sure which template you are working with.

Hi Dianne

For the street grunge papers there's a couple different ways you can work with it.

In your example above it looks like your clipping a paper to the template. When your working with them that way, you'll want to add another paper and/or color fill layer under the template. Since the street grunge papers aren't solid templates, your papers will just clip to the actual design that's there. And to fill in the missing area you'll need something under the template showing through.

Another way to work with it is to take your pattern paper and put it on bottom, then put your template on top and change the blending mode of it so it blends into your paper. If you use that method sometimes I find duplicating your template layer gives you better results. So I may have 1 layer of the template with a overlay blending mode, then another layer of it with a color burn, and the opacity or fill lowered to get a look I like

Hope this helps

Thanks for the suggestions. Playing around with the grunge templates more, and the idea of duplicating layers or adding layers below helps, Angie.

Syndee, the specific mask I was using was SNU_SSEmb_ArtMix-Blended-3. But suggestion on any of those emblem/masks templates would be helpful. I see what you mean about the masks meant to be more faint but when I clip the photo to the mask, it's barely visible. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I love the examples on the marketing image for these items but i'm having a hard time getting that effect.

I love love love these products and also love that products from different sets work so well together.

Have you tried duplicating the mask layer and then merging the 2?

I know alot of times when I make mask there's no "1 size fits all" it depends on the photo, paper its on, etc. These mask seems to have a very light finish, so that photo has that barely there look. But if you duplicate the mask layer and then merge those 2 layers ...then add your photo with the clipping mask. That will sometimes give that mask a little more substance and the photo won't be so faint....at least that's what I will do sometimes with the ones I create. So you might want to try that.

Another little tip that i've often used with photo mask it to change the blending mode of the mask. Changing the blending mode once the photo is attached will sometimes give a little punch to the photo and/or paper that' attached to it.

The thing with these mask is there's not always 1 answer or 1 way to work with them. And many times i've come up with happy accidents playing about with duplicating layers and blending modes.

Thanks for all the tips, Angie! I really appreciate them. Not sure why I have a mental block wrt these things or perhaps it's more like I've just not used a lot of masks/templates like this in the past. I'm coming up with more options now as I play. Also thinking some of these masks might work better with a light background instead of a dark, full color one.

OK, so for that specific mask it is a lighter mask and has a folded texture to it so it might look/work a bit different than some other masks. Most of the templates in this set are designed to look like the photo is 'spilling' out of the frame. So in most cases, you will duplicate the photo and clip it one to the photo mask layer and one to the photo spill layer.

Here's what I did:

1-Clipped the photo to the Photo Mask Layer

2-Duplicated the photo and clipped it to the Photo Spill layer

3-On both photos I changed the Blend Mode to "Multiply".

HTH!

Thank you for this! Helped me to figure out how to use the masks and templates. Much appreciated!!!

Archived