Need help with mother's birthday book

...or, what have I gotten myself into??

My mom will be celebrating a milestone birthday this summer (80). We decided to do a birthday book for her. I thought this would be fairly easy, because a) there are so many photo book companies out there, and surely one must have a design I'd like; and B) I did my own travel book last summer using InDesign.

Well, I just started one in a template in Big Photo Book Co. and I hate it so far! I don't like the software, for one thing (which is why I ended up doing my design last year in InDesign).

I think what I would rather do is a book using scrapbooking elements. Only I am not sure AT ALL which direction to go in.

I don't want anything too vintage-y, because I don't want her to feel ancient. I don't want anything too trendy or hip (she's not that kind of person). Something feminine but not sappy.

I could really use some suggestions. I'm starting to think I won't be able to do this at all...

Thank you!!!

What I find easiest to do when creating a book like that is to choose or or two collections and work from them.

If you look in the Boutique, there are different categories, one is Women & Mother's Day. You can look there and pick a few that would go together like --

A Mother's Love or

Softly Spoken Collection

There are also general collections that might work for you --

Stories We Tell

Memorabilia

Wonderful You

A Waltz to Remember

White Linen

Shabby Chic

Happy Birthday Collection

Capturing Memories

Simplify

Always and Forever

Color My Heart

Love You

I've tried to give you a general assortment, but if you look through the Collection & Kits category, you might find something that works with colors you or your Mom like, or a theme that would work for her.

Good luck!

Ah what a treasure that will be for your mom. Don't stress. You got this!

If it were me, I'd start by finding a company that prints photo books (Costco, Snapfish, etc.) and decide on your book size, number of pages, orientation, etc. (Most seem to have their own software and want you to use their templates, but most also allow you to upload your own layouts as jpg files).

Then I'd think about what all I want to include. Kids? Grandkids? Trips? Hobbies? Other memories? Then I'd decide how many pages to devote to each topic. Then I'd start gathering pictures and go from there to start creating the layouts. But that's just me and how my brain works. I know from past projects that it always helps to consider the final product and work back from there.

I'm sure others will have some good suggestions for you.

Oh I know your problem! I've made a number of photo books now and my advice is - don't make your pages too complicated.

Making 1 LO with lots of embellishments is fine but to fill a whole book is extremely time-consuming and disheartening if like me you run out of inspiration!

Keep your papers and embellies down to a minimum and check for consistency with things like font size shadowing etc. Oh and make sure you run a spell check on any journaling (typos stand out like a sore thumb once its printed). Having said all that - go for it - your Mum will be delighted.

Archived