Questions About the New Forum

This is the place to post your questions about the new forum and gallery.

We don't want to miss any of them and want to keep them all in one place.

You'll also be able to see the answers so we're not answering the same questions over again. :)

You can find the Forum Tutorials here. They're also located under the Help tab on the top menu bar.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, April, for starting this thread.

I have two questions: The first is that I'm no longer  receiving email messages when someone comments on one of  my layouts. I did check "Follow" under the layouts. Is anyone else having that problem? I use Hotmail.

The other  question is where do I find someone's (a member's) gallery? It used to be part of their profile but isn't any longer.

Thanks!

I don't get the bounced forum emails like I used to (though that happened before the upgrade) so I can't check to see if they're being rejected by your mail provider. I have been getting the emails for things I subscribe to, however.

On viewing a member's layouts, Angie updated that tutorial. How To View All Of A Member's Layouts

Thank you April you have answered my question about viewing my personal gallery.

My next question is - can the font size be increased on the forum page? There seems to be an awful lot of empty space on either side of the page which might allow for the pages and therefore the font to be made bigger.

Hilary

I'm sure April will come back with the official answer.  But I tip I use, sometimes on other sites or times when I need something increased, is to hold down the ctrl key on my keyboard and use my mouse scroll button.  When you scroll up it enlarges your page and down shrinks it.  I also find, at least with Firefox is that it remembers that setting if I leave the site and come back, and it also just effects that site.

Just now, mimes1 said:

I'm trying to add a cover photo to make it pretty for tomorrow.  Everything is too big!  Is there somewhere I can look for pixel measurements?

I hope to include this in my challenge for tomorrow-but it looks like April and Angie used 200 x 1380 pixels at 96 pixels per inch-then resized the dpi of items before placing them.  I made mine the other night but have not uploaded.  It will be this evening before I can do that.  So any information we find out now will be helpful!!

35 minutes ago, SodScrap said:

I hope to include this in my challenge for tomorrow-but it looks like April and Angie used 200 x 1380 pixels at 96 pixels per inch-then resized the dpi of items before placing them.  I made mine the other night but have not uploaded.  It will be this evening before I can do that.  So any information we find out now will be helpful!!

I noticed that a gray area was showing under my cover photo when you hover over my photo on a post, so I played with the numbers until I got it not showing gray below when I made the browser window narrower, and so that it didn't chop off part of my cluster when I looked at it on my profile page. I took a screenshot of how I had to place the elements along with the image size in PS. Hope that helps a bit. I'm sure the actual pixel size isn't as important as the ratio.

CoverPhoto-screenshot.jpg

The other ting I just found is I used April's latest sizes, saved it and when I hoovered I still saw some grey.  So I went back in and re-positioned it by pulling the graphic down a little and saved again.  And the grey bar was gone

14 hours ago, englishrose said:

Thank you April you have answered my question about viewing my personal gallery.

My next question is - can the font size be increased on the forum page? There seems to be an awful lot of empty space on either side of the page which might allow for the pages and therefore the font to be made bigger.

Hillary - thanks for the note on the Font size! I will be taking notes and will look into a few things to see if we can change them after the weekend.

47 minutes ago, Debbie Cleek said:

Hillary - thanks for the note on the Font size! I will be taking notes and will look into a few things to see if we can change them after the weekend.

FYI - Interesting..  I wonder if it has to do with different browsers also?  I'm using Safari and while my font is small, the page content goes to either edge of my page with little empty space.   Go figure! :)

The font size is a struggle for me as well. The actual posts themselves seem a little easier to read but the main forum seems much smaller. I'm using Safari; it seems worse actually with Firefox. I thought there was a way to change display font size with Windows, but not sure that can be done on a Mac. 

21 hours ago, angleigh said:

Hilary

I'm sure April will come back with the official answer.  But I tip I use, sometimes on other sites or times when I need something increased, is to hold down the ctrl key on my keyboard and use my mouse scroll button.  When you scroll up it enlarges your page and down shrinks it.  I also find, at least with Firefox is that it remembers that setting if I leave the site and come back, and it also just effects that site.

Thank you Angie - that works a treat!

Is there any way to see what new topics there are?

I don't always have time to check every section of the forum and the unread content includes news posts as well as topics.

36 minutes ago, ValerieT said:

I don't always have time to check every section of the forum and the unread content includes news posts as well as topics.

Valerie, I'm trying out the Activity Stream feature and have customized one for iNSD to show certain parts of the forum and gallery related to the event. Not sure if there is a way to use that feature to show new topics without the posts. 

1 hour ago, ValerieT said:

When you click on the "Unread Content" button, there is a bar at the top of the page that lets you sort what new content you see. Click on "Content Type" and you can select to see just topics. Of course, any topic that has had recent comments will show up along with the newest topics, but it is better than seeing everything.

15 hours ago, April Showers said:

When you click on the "Unread Content" button, there is a bar at the top of the page that lets you sort what new content you see. Click on "Content Type" and you can select to see just topics. Of course, any topic that has had recent comments will show up along with the newest topics, but it is better than seeing everything.

Thanks April, that helps.

23 hours ago, April Showers said:

April this is so helpful, I've been frustrated trying to find all "New Layouts" to comment on but could only find one short page in the Gallery.   Your instructions here worked perfectly if I click "Images" under "Content Type" as it sorta brings me to what used to be the "New Content" pages of new layouts in the Gallery.   :)

Question:  Can thread posts be numbered as they were before?   Surprises me how often I reference them and it's helpful in charting Motivators.   I know there's an orange line showing where I last was which is good, but if I go to the thread and back again it only shows me where I last looked, not all new (if that makes sense!).

Thanks! 

6 hours ago, MariJ said:

Question:  Can thread posts be numbered as they were before?   Surprises me how often I reference them and it's helpful in charting Motivators.   I know there's an orange line showing where I last was which is good, but if I go to the thread and back again it only shows me where I last looked, not all new (if that makes sense!).

I don't know if they can be numbered or not, but we can certainly ask about it.

Ok, another question.  I just redid something on an old layout and edited it...   I see now that it reposted on the MB even though I only "edited" it.   Did I do something wrong or is that what will happen?   I hate taking up space on the MB with something that had already been posted earlier.  

Is there another way I should edit a layout that's already been been posted?

2 hours ago, MariJ said:

Ok, another question.  I just redid something on an old layout and edited it...   I see now that it reposted on the MB even though I only "edited" it.   Did I do something wrong or is that what will happen?   I hate taking up space on the MB with something that had already been posted earlier.  

Is there another way I should edit a layout that's already been been posted?

The sort order for the gallery is by upload date. With the new gallery, I think it must change that when you edit. We can check around a little to see if it is a setting we can change.

14 minutes ago, April Showers said:

The sort order for the gallery is by upload date. With the new gallery, I think it must change that when you edit. We can check around a little to see if it is a setting we can change.

Good to know Marilyn.  It would be nice if there is a setting that can change this.  I mean, doesn't everyone notice a typo or something that would "be better" AFTER it's uploaded to the gallery??  :dunno:

2 hours ago, SodScrap said:

Good to know Marilyn.  It would be nice if there is a setting that can change this.  I mean, doesn't everyone notice a typo or something that would "be better" AFTER it's uploaded to the gallery??  :dunno:

Thanks April and YES!   Conda and Carla.    I've already decided I don't like the color I changed to but i don't want it to post yet again if I go to edit it! :)

Archived