Questions About the New Forum

So I have a question I can't figure out the answer to...When I click on Unread Content, I can customize what I see. It gives me the option to save the new stream and I have. But where do I find that the next time I come on the forum? I just reset it each time, but what is the point of saving it?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I checked the back end for the Gallery, and the sort setting choices have changed. The old setting was sort by "Date Uploaded". The new setting is sort by "Recently Updated" So, if you edit a layout, it will change its spot in the feed order, but it doesn't post your layout a second time.

27 minutes ago, CRS said:

So I have a question I can't figure out the answer to...When I click on Unread Content, I can customize what I see. It gives me the option to save the new stream and I have. But where do I find that the next time I come on the forum? I just reset it each time, but what is the point of saving it?

Hold your cursor over "Forum" at the top of the page and it will show under "Custom Streams." That is also a quicker way to get to some of the other basic streams!

CustomActivityStream.png

2 hours ago, April Showers said:

I checked the back end for the Gallery, and the sort setting choices have changed. The old setting was sort by "Date Uploaded". The new setting is sort by "Recently Updated" So, if you edit a layout, it will change its spot in the feed order, but it doesn't post your layout a second time.

Thanks April!  My March Project Life page DID show again on the message board this morning because I edited the layout and replaced it with a new one.  So, I think you are saying that it will always show up on the MB each time it's edited because it's considered "recent"?  I didn't think it posted as a second layout, but I was surprised to see it there again, this happened to me once before and I felt bad taking up Forum space a second time!   Can it be switched back to "date uploaded" so this doesn't happen each time we edit?  Just wondering... :)

Oh!  Now I am laughing remembering recently commenting on a layout that seemed familiar and then I saw I HAD already commented, so maybe it had been edited!

April I giggle when you talk about the "back end".   Even though I know it's computer, I always picture you going into some old, dark storage space with a flashlight to check things out!   

59 minutes ago, MariJ said:

Thanks April!  My March Project Life page DID show again on the message board this morning because I edited the layout and replaced it with a new one.  So, I think you are saying that it will always show up on the MB each time it's edited because it's considered "recent"?  I didn't think it posted as a second layout, but I was surprised to see it there again, this happened to me once before and I felt bad taking up Forum space a second time!   Can it be switched back to "date uploaded" so this doesn't happen each time we edit?  Just wondering... :)

Oh!  Now I am laughing remembering recently commenting on a layout that seemed familiar and then I saw I HAD already commented, so maybe it had been edited!

April I giggle when you talk about the "back end".   Even though I know it's computer, I always picture you going into some old, dark storage space with a flashlight to check things out!   

Alas, there isn't a choice for Date Uploaded anymore. :(

My other choices are to sort by Title, Highest Rated (we don't allow image rating) Most Comments, or Most Images. 

Given those choices, we're happy dealing with an edited layout showing at the front. ;)

There are always trade-off when we upgrade the forum software. We get new things we love, and then we lose things that are really useful - like the chat room...

2 hours ago, April Showers said:

Alas, there isn't a choice for Date Uploaded anymore. :(

My other choices are to sort by Title, Highest Rated (we don't allow image rating) Most Comments, or Most Images. 

Given those choices, we're happy dealing with an edited layout showing at the front. ;)

There are always trade-off when we upgrade the forum software. We get new things we love, and then we lose things that are really useful - like the chat room...

For sure that seems the best choice;  I will have to be MUCH more careful and decisive and not have to make any edits!   :D

And, I just adore the new drag-and-drop for posting, that's really cool.  

8 hours ago, April Showers said:

Hold your cursor over "Forum" at the top of the page and it will show under "Custom Streams." That is also a quicker way to get to some of the other basic streams!

CustomActivityStream.png

I tried this for finding new layouts and it worked, thanks April! :)

4 minutes ago, MariJ said:

I tried this for finding new layouts and it worked, thanks April! :)

You're welcome! When I was cruising through looking for the upcoming weekly layout winners, I found setting the date range made it easier.

Also, the images with a larger sized thumbnail don't have any comments. The smaller thumbnails show the number of comments. The date, is the date of the last comment, not the date it was posted, so this order changes with new content as well. The top of the list is the last one commented on, rather than the last one uploaded.

8 hours ago, April Showers said:

You're welcome! When I was cruising through looking for the upcoming weekly layout winners, I found setting the date range made it easier.

Also, the images with a larger sized thumbnail don't have any comments. The smaller thumbnails show the number of comments. The date, is the date of the last comment, not the date it was posted, so this order changes with new content as well. The top of the list is the last one commented on, rather than the last one uploaded.

I also just discovered that as I'm cruising down the MB looking to "unread content", as I'm reading one at the bottom of the page is and grow and "Next Unread Topic".

Saves my "back" arrow a lot of work.   

18 hours ago, April Showers said:

I didn't know this, either nor why some layouts are larger than others.   Interesting.. 

• 1 month later...

I am trying to find out how to link an image ( collection preview ) shared in the forum to where it is the store.  

Can someone please help me with this?  

Right click on the image in the store and choose "copy image link" or Image location or whatever your browser has. Paste that link into the forum and it should show the image. If you click on the image, you can get a bounding box and reduce the size, if desired.

xctmpQKDQo6.jpg

Thank you April but then it is not linked to the store.

I just had another play with my posting in the Newsletter thread and I clicked a few times on the image and a pop up showed where I could alter the size and add a URL link.  So I am happy now that I am able to link images to the store. 

1 hour ago, A-M said:

Thank you April but then it is not linked to the store.

I just had another play with my posting in the Newsletter thread and I clicked a few times on the image and a pop up showed where I could alter the size and add a URL link.  So I am happy now that I am able to link images to the store. 

Glad it worked out for you Anne Marie! :) 

5 minutes ago, Bride said:

Testing ... yes that does work ... thanks April!! I don't get bounding boxes though.

xctmphal5o7.jpg

Lei..do you get them if after you post you click to edit the post, then go back and click on the image?    That's how I've been doing mine, I think I tried it the other way once and didn't get the boxes so just got used to going back, edit and then got the boxes.

3 minutes ago, angleigh said:

Lei..do you get them if after you post you click to edit the post, then go back and click on the image?    That's how I've been doing mine, I think I tried it the other way once and didn't get the boxes so just got used to going back, edit and then got the boxes.

No, I just tried that and it turns it blue but no bounding. When I put my cursor on it, it will not allow me to do anything with it.

23 minutes ago, angleigh said:

I need to try this again because when I did earlier it didn't work for me!  

On 6/22/2017 at 3:47 PM, April Showers said:

I tried with both Firefox and Chrome and they both worked. You'll need to double click on the image to get the "Image" box to show up. It will look like this. Paste your link in the top box. You can also adjust the size there too.

Screenshot 2017-06-22 12.43.22.png

I just tried doing this after I posted, then went back into edit, clicked on the photo and got the box above like you show April!  And I was able to resixe my photo using the "Size" boxes.   My original was 1000, I randomly cut it to 500 and it worked fine.
I'm working on a Mac and using the Safari browser.  

PS all this talk about 'great tip' - holding the shift key while hitting return to avoid double spacing?   I've found myself doing that in other places on my computer and other sites not SG as I'm typing!  I must be here too much!   :D 

I miss the "like" button on the forum. I know, better to stop and say a few words but sometimes I just want to give a thumbs up!

10 minutes ago, diannecp said:

I miss the "like" button on the forum. I know, better to stop and say a few words but sometimes I just want to give a thumbs up!

Me, too, I keep looking for it to click on it.

I have a issue that I wasn't too bothered about to start with but is now driving me crazy. It's probably just a setting I need to change but I can't find anything. I have tried different browsers and laptops.

Whenever I type a reply or start a new topic, there seems to be too much spacing. If I hit return I always get a double space. Also if I paste some text in I can't alter it very well. for example; if the original text is small and in a different font when I paste it, it stays the same and I struggle to change it. It ends up staying small, with loads of space and I can't change the font.

Any ideas.

39 minutes ago, ValerieT said:

I have a issue that I wasn't too bothered about to start with but is now driving me crazy. It's probably just a setting I need to change but I can't find anything. I have tried different browsers and laptops.

Whenever I type a reply or start a new topic, there seems to be too much spacing. If I hit return I always get a double space. Also if I paste some text in I can't alter it very well. for example; if the original text is small and in a different font when I paste it, it stays the same and I struggle to change it. It ends up staying small, with loads of space and I can't change the font.

Any ideas.

I found that once I paste some text into the box, I click on the black box that says remove formatting. Its easier to change to what I want that way. Still a pain but easier.

Marilyn found that if you hit Shift and Enter, the annoying space between lines is gone. Not sure if that helps your spacing issue, but I love it!

18 hours ago, ValerieT said:

Any ideas.

YES!   That's what I was going to say.   Drove me crazy too until by accident I found if you hold the shift key while hitting return, it only goes one line/space.

I thought it was kind of a trivial thing to post -- until I found it was driving a lot of us crazy! :)   

I have found that I can't delete a post. Sometimes I accidentally 'double post' & now find I can't delete the extra post. Also I accidentally posted the same file/media twice in the same post & couldn't delete the error.

2 hours ago, scrapgran said:

I have found that I can't delete a post. Sometimes I accidentally 'double post' & now find I can't delete the extra post. Also I accidentally posted the same file/media twice in the same post & couldn't delete the error.

Laraine, do you have the 4 orange boxes to the bottom right of your post?   In mine, the last one is "Options" and if I click it, the choice is "delete".   
I'm suspecting you don't have that as Jean had trouble and when we talked she is missing that one.

This is what mine looks like.

And on this post, if I click "edit" and then scroll down I can see a little box with the screenshot below and then a box showing "Uploaded Images" with a little trashcan to the right.  If you click on that, it will delete the image.   With two images/files you should see two images.  Let me get a screen shot

Screen Shot 2017-07-03 at 6.09.27 AM.png

Archived