Oops...did I just do that?

So I was surfing the internet this morning and came across an article about common mistakes people make when scrapping. 

And it got me thinking, what is a mistake that you commonly make when scrapping layouts?

For me hands down it's spell check.  No matter how many times while i'm scrapping a layout I try to remember to run spell check before i'm done.  I always seem to save the layout, resize it and then notice a typo.

I sometimes think I need a sticky note that says "spell check" on my monitor

LOL...all the more reason to put one there.  ;)

How about forgetting to shadow.  I do that alot.  Shadowing is one of the last things I do, so i'll add all my items and sometimes be done and realize I didn't shadow at all

Just now, angleigh said:

LOL...all the more reason to put one there.  ;)

How about forgetting to shadow.  I do that alot.  Shadowing is one of the last things I do, so i'll add all my items and sometimes be done and realize I didn't shadow at all

Maybe that sticky note should include shadows AND spell check. ;)  With all those sticky notes here and there, I don't know how you keep track of any of them.  I'm going to come by while you are Friday shopping and remove a couple.  Just to see if you notice.  :wobbly-eyes:

For me, it's most definitely spell check. I've taken to copying all my journaling into a Word document and most of my boo-boos show up with that dreaded red squiggly line.

Also, I sometimes forget to list a product or two. I use the very old action we used to have, but sometimes a paper will only show up as "Layer 1". I know how to avoid that,but I don't always. :) 

2 hours ago, SodScrap said:

Maybe that sticky note should include shadows AND spell check. ;)  With all those sticky notes here and there, I don't know how you keep track of any of them.  I'm going to come by while you are Friday shopping and remove a couple.  Just to see if you notice.  :wobbly-eyes:

You'll be happy to know there are no post it's on my desk right now.  I actually put them away in a draw so I don't use them. 

And I even color coded my pens I'm using in my  notebook so I know what's important and what's just "notes"

1 hour ago, mimes1 said:

For me, I forget to rename my layout file when I'm posting to the gallery, so the marketing file name gets posted - ugh.

yeah, I gave up and remembering that a long time ago.  LOL

Without fail, I forget to keep track of supplies. So aggravating to have to go back and take care of that after the fact. Oh and also, I forget to use a mask and erase directly on a layer (can you say alt-cmd-Z 20 times fast?!) 

• 3 weeks later...

How about not saving your layout frequent enough while scrapping.  Too many times i've been working on something and all of a sudden my computer freezes up or something happens and then PS closes...and the layout is gone

3 hours ago, angleigh said:

How about not saving your layout frequent enough while scrapping.  Too many times i've been working on something and all of a sudden my computer freezes up or something happens and then PS closes...and the layout is gone

YYYYAAASSS!!!!

All of the above for me, especially spell check and naming supplies. I have got that action Becky is talking about but never got it to work for me. Goodness that was sometime ago now. This isn't a mistake for me, its a pet hate really,  but it bugs me when people put in photos with crooked horizon lines!!:giggle_bear:

7 hours ago, Ngaire said:

All of the above for me, especially spell check and naming supplies. I have got that action Becky is talking about but never got it to work for me. Goodness that was sometime ago now. This isn't a mistake for me, its a pet hate really,  but it bugs me when people put in photos with crooked horizon lines!!:giggle_bear:

Crooked photos bug me too and I am forever moving it a tiny bit this way... Then that way... Then this way....  Grrr......

I'll bet you straighten paintings/photos on the wall, too Ngaire?  I do that all the time......   :D

I type out my journaling in a word document to spell check, bu tI do type to fast as you can see, my spelling isn't a problem its my fingers and my brain love talking but not at the same time LOL :D:D:rofl:Hard to believe that I used to be able to type so fast accurately, but that is so long ago. I used one these when I first started to work.

typewriter.jpg.928fc1a5d25acc98c869e1c0e67bc2c6.jpg

I update my supplies I use in my layouts in File info but I'm not so good in labeling my layers, which is okay short term but when I go back to a layout much later, I have to work which layer holds what. 

I recently started to work in "groups" and color coding my layouts, which has helped. I label my groups by background, embellishments, masks with photos, its easy to ungroup when layering becomes a problem. Always open to different ideas or ways of doing things that makes more sense or becomes easier to manager.

Have a good day :)

11 minutes ago, Marie-Christine said:

I type out my journaling in a word document to spell check, bu tI do type to fast as you can see, my spelling isn't a problem its my fingers and my brain love talking but not at the same time LOL :D:D:rofl:Hard to believe that I used to be able to type so fast accurately, but that is so long ago. I used one these when I first started to work.

I update my supplies I use in my layouts in File info but I'm not so good in labeling my layers, which is okay short term but when I go back to a layout much later, I have to work which layer holds what. 

I recently started to work in "groups" and color coding my layouts, which has helped. I label my groups by background, embellishments, masks with photos, its easy to ungroup when layering becomes a problem. Always open to different ideas or ways of doing things that makes more sense or becomes easier to manager.

That's a good idea, Marie and I loved seeing that typewriter!   I remember getting a small portable one for my high school graduation.  My Mom still had the one SHE got when she graduated, it was so big and heavy but typed many a school paper for me!

7 hours ago, Smiles said:

yes, Amy, April's backup parties were a good thing!  Maybe we could do them on a forum thread?

Oh, I never attended a back-up party, that sounds like fun!   And, of course would be very helpful.

On 5/30/2017 at 4:52 AM, Marie-Christine said:

I Just saw an add last night for a "old school" typewriter keyboard for tablets.  The look and feel of a manual typewriter but the tablet hooks in where the paper would be.  It was ADORABLE!!!

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, angleigh said:

Ok I just saw this again and thought of another one, what about not dating a layout.  In some way shape or form we should put a date on a layout, but I always forget

Jody used to always scold me about that as I'd never put a date or info/where photo was on my pages.   She's right, because years later you wonder....  huh?   So now I try to date and note info even if I'm not journaling. 

On 28 May 2017 at 10:42 PM, MariJ said:

Crooked photos bug me too and I am forever moving it a tiny bit this way... Then that way... Then this way....  Grrr......

I'll bet you straighten paintings/photos on the wall, too Ngaire?  I do that all the time......   :D

I haven't been in here for awhile and I saw this from you Marilyn and laughed out loud cos thats exactly what I do!!!:disappearing-smilie:
When I worked in the rest home nobody had crook paintings on their walls, or if they did it wasn't for long!!!! :D

• 2 months later...

Mine is a scary one or two:

1. I will get involved in scrapping and forget to SAVE!!!! I look at it and see the "untitled.psd" and freak. LOL 

2. I flatten my photoshop file, size it down to 72 dpi  and forget to NOT save it. I've flattened and killed more pages than I care to admit.

Archived