First Kit...First Layout

angleigh

I was looking through some of my older scrapbooking kits I purchased, which lead to seeing layouts I created with them (and yes, I did cringe when I saw some of the layouts..lol) 

But it got me thinking, and thought it might be fun.  Show me your first kit you purchased from the store (and give us a link if it's still in the store)  and show us the first layout you posted in the gallery.

I'll admit I started with ScrapGirls as a layout team member, so I got to work with alot of the kits I really loved in trade for layouts.  So I thought instead I would show you one of the first kits I released.  So everyone get ready for this, and wow how my style has changed, keep in mind these were released in 2006 :D

And here is one of the first layouts I posted in the gallery

large.gallery_421_59_20221.jpg.a952cf61a

So now let's see yours

ABR_OrangeBlossom_CollectionMKT.jpg

ABR_PinkBotanical_CollMini.jpg

The first collection I remember purchasing was called Smitten, with pinks and hearts. I think it might have been Angie's, but I can't remember now. My first posted layout was on iNSD but I don't see it in my gallery now. I scrapped 8.5X11 inch back then. I can't even find it on my EHD, but I remember it was Brooke laying on the top of the couch.

Here is my oldest one in my gallery, Patience

I see you liked pattern papers then, too Angie! Hard to believe that little guy is the same guy you posted in the last day of school photo!

Here is my first layout

I used chic Happiness by Doris Castle and 'Being with you' which is one of yours Angie, but I can't find it in the shop.

My very first posting was in fact my siggie, does that count? I used Creative Life Embellishments Biggie, can't find it in the shop.

My style has changed too, more technical, developing skills without even aware how much I have learned and gained.

It's fun to look back and see how much our styles have changed.

And yes, that little bowl hair cut boy is the same one in the pink/yellow from the last day of school.  It's hard to believe that's for sure

I love looking at older layouts (from anyone!) to see how styles have changed, both in designing and scrapping.

Here's an older one of mine using one of the first kits I purchased here:

I used Durin Eberhart's Beach House. And this guy is now 14!

First Day of Preschool web.jpg

not my first  (2012) Since I joined in 2009, and my first bought kit at SG was Moss by Brandie. This may be the first one I was brave enough to post. :) It was so scary back then. I started on small 4x6 items, so they may have been first posted.

Evidently retired.:(

This is really fun, Angie and I'm enjoying looking at everyone's first layouts and collections bought.  

My first purchase was a bunch of Designer "Fab 5" minis.   Remember when each year a new one came out corresponding to ScrapGirls' Anniversary year?  This was the 5th with 5 pieces each.  My first collection biggie was Thao Cosgrove's "Naturescape" and it's still one of my favorites.

My first posted layouts were 4"x6" ones from a wonderful class taught by Anna Mansfield "Who I AM, Right Now".  These were in private Galleries until a few years ago with a new Gallery when April turned them on if we wanted.    Here's one of those and my first posted layout.  I can see that I myself haven't changed much in all this time, it's all about the Ocean and Beach! :D   But, I can't believe I actually used a template!   The big difference I notice in my early scrapping is everything changed once I learned about blending and blending modes....   Huge game changer there...

TCS Naturescape.jpg

First Class Layout 22.jpg

First posted Layout .jpg

I purchased brushes the first time I was in the store, but I picked up several collections on my second shopping expedition. This one is discontinued, but I used it a lot.

wm_DMI_BlueSea_Collect_300.jpg

This is the earliest collection I purchased that is still in the store. Extinct Collection Biggie

wm_MRE_Extinct_Collection_MKTG_300.jpg

The first layout I posted was for the High Noon Crop. Still miss chatting with everyone in there. I had just gotten home from my mother's funeral and dove into scrapbooking as my therapy.

2 hours ago, April Showers said:

I purchased brushes the first time I was in the store, but I picked up several collections on my second shopping expedition. This one is discontinued, but I used it a lot.

wm_DMI_BlueSea_Collect_300.jpg

This is the earliest collection I purchased that is still in the store. Extinct Collection Biggie

wm_MRE_Extinct_Collection_MKTG_300.jpg

The first layout I posted was for the High Noon Crop. Still miss chatting with everyone in there. I had just gotten home from my mother's funeral and dove into scrapbooking as my therapy.

Oh, April, I have that blue collection and love it too!    Your Mom's layout is lovely and what a gorgeously special photo that is.  I can see your girls in her face.   

Oh wow, so cool to look back on everyone's early layouts and also the kits from years ago. It put me in mind of how I came to ScrapGirls. We were on vacation and he (husband) was sick the entire time. I had brought one of those Stampington magazines with me (Digital Studio) and had pretty much devoured it on the way down. Had nothing else to do but look at the ads LOL and ScrapGirls really intrigued me. I signed up right then and there. 

Anyways - my first posted layout was this one of my niece (she's 9 now!) I clearly had no idea about using SG elements or masking (it took me hours to extract her from the photo). One of the first kits I bought was KME_Buttercup_Collection. (dang it, could someone tell me how to make the inserted image smaller - i really don't mean to shout!) 

KME_Buttercup_Collection_MKTG_600.jpg

Your page is so sweet Dianne!  I don't think there's a way to actually make the photos smaller in the post.   What I did this time was to throw it in PSE and reduce it there but it's a pain to do.  I love seeing yours big, though! :) and I remember that collection!   Who knew you could be nostalgic about scrapping supplies?   :)

The first collection I can find was Cottage Quilt by Amanda McG.  I joined the SG club I liked it so much.

I loved that Pink Botanical collection, Angie.

The first layout I posted was a signature that I did at the first Scrap Girls convention, when I had someone to help me.  :)  I haven't figured out how to find things in the new galleries yet.

My first LO is posted in the gallery waaaayyy back in 2006. Of Pete my son who is now married with three children!!

In the beginning I didn't buy kits, just the monthly club , I  just got paper sets and this was one of my first called Oceania by DEB!!

What a fun thread!!

4 hours ago, Smiles said:

The first collection I can find was Cottage Quilt by Amanda McG.  I joined the SG club I liked it so much.

The first layout I posted was a signature that I did at the first Scrap Girls convention, when I had someone to help me.  :)  I haven't figured out how to find things in the new galleries yet.

I loved Amanda's "doodle" style she had.  I remember that phase when doodles was a big thing in scrapbooking kits..that's about the time I started designing and I remember doodling on paper, scanning and extracting.

3 hours ago, Ngaire said:

My first LO is posted in the gallery waaaayyy back in 2006. Of Pete my son who is now married with three children!!

In the beginning I didn't buy kits, just the monthly club , I  just got paper sets and this was one of my first called Oceania by DEB!!

What a fun thread!!

Loved Durin's papers...to me that's what I always think of when I think of Durin

14 minutes ago, angleigh said:

Loved Durin's papers...to me that's what I always think of when I think of Durin

Me too!  I have a lot of them and she has a gorgeous sense of color.   

Oh gosh, I remember doodles and have some of them, too and actually I started in paper scrapping and had lots of "doodle" type stickers.  

Actually the very first layout I made, I used only photos - it was a desktop challenge by Angela N and she talked me through it because I was using Paint Shop Pro and had never scrapped before - digitally or otherwise! One of the first kits I purchased was Durin Eberhart’s Vista Linda and here is one of the first layouts I made using a Newsletter tutorial because I  had no clue what I was doing!  “He’s G-r-r-reat!”

One of the first collections that I purchased was TCS  Naturescape Embellishments Biggie (retired) and BHA Blossom and Blooms (retired). This is one of the first layouts that I did of Cissy and Martini, just shortly after Cissy passed away. I used papers and embellishments from Scrapbook Max.

Cissy & Martini

First SG layout using SG product:

Molly on Christmas Night

TCS_Naturescape_Emb1_Sheet.png

TCS_Naturescape_Emb2_Sheet.png

BHA_BlossomsBlooms_Spring_Emb_Digital1.png

BHA_BlossomsBlooms_Spring_Emb_Digital3.png

5 hours ago, Smiles said:

Gayle, if you go to your profile, on the far right there will be an orange button that says "See My Activity" > click that and down on the left side, you will see Gallery > Images. You could post that link in your signature for future reference, or from there, scroll to see your older images! (You can follow these same steps to see others' galleries!) 

51 minutes ago, Bride said:

Actually the very first layout I made, I used only photos - it was a desktop challenge by Angela N and she talked me through it because I was using Paint Shop Pro and had never scrapped before - digitally or otherwise! One of the first kits I purchased was Durin Eberhart’s Vista Linda and here is one of the first layouts I made using a Newsletter tutorial because I  had no clue what I was doing!  “He’s G-r-r-reat!”

I started with PSP as well. And I loved that Vista Linda collection. And thank goodness for newsletter tutorials, right?! 

26 minutes ago, diannecp said:

I started with PSP as well. And I loved that Vista Linda collection. And thank goodness for newsletter tutorials, right?! 

Yes!! 

This is so fun! I'm enjoying seeing all the old collections (I have some) and our early posts! 

I "lurked" on the SG site for a few months and downloaded a free kit from SG (called A Narrative, maybe?) and used that to "learn" with on PSE 9. As I remember I signed up for both monthly clubs in April 2012, and shortly after that, Brandy's Countryside Collection came out. I still love that one so much! My first post used that kit and some photo frames from a SS kit, I think they were Thao Cosgrove's, and one of Syndee's Blendability masks:

Countryside Collection Biggie

Blendability 2

and here's my first post:

Summertime Vacation Getaway

My first LO's I wouldn't post, I think it was about 6 months later before I posted this one Dragon Boating 

I'm not sure which was the first kit I purchased as I used the freebies for a long time until I had some idea of what I was doing :) I do remember buying DMI_Blessed, DEB_Fiesta and KSC_Amber Romance very early in 2007 on but they are no longer available :)

I'm lovling seeing everyone's early layouts, too and you know what?   For as much as we are all saying they're not good, it's amazing how good they are!   They might not have all the techniques we learned as time went on but I'm impressed with the initial tries!   :)

9 hours ago, angleigh said:

I feel like it's a blast from the past seeing all these old kits.  Loved Thao's stuff!!

This really is a fun thread!! I too loved Thaos kits!! One of my all time favourites is her kit called "Daily Bread".

Keep the memories flowing ladies, its so fun seeing them all!

Archived