Let's talk Camera's

Let's talk camera's.  I would love to see more photography chatter/information shared, because like many people I was on "manual" for many years.  Finally I was watching a video and what the photographer said clicked, and I think the only time I am in manual now is if I need to find a quick starting place for my settings.

So my first question is, what type of camera do you use?  I just upgraded at Christmas to a new Sony a77ii, I had a a550 and LOVE it, but it was coming close to it's lifetime shutter clicks, so I decided before it stopped working I would invest in a new on and use the other for my back up.

So what do you use?

In college I had a Minolta SLR that used film, remember that?!  I liked having various lenses and taking different kind of shots...  My digital cameras have all been small point-and-shoots, first Kodaks and now Canons.   They do have different settings but I rarely bother to use them and amazingly have taken some really good photos with them.  Every once in a while I think of upgrading to a better camera, but the biggest issue for me is carrying it around and I've decided to go for "easy", light and always able to be with me.   I'm interested to see what everyone else is using! 

Oh I remember Minolta and film...would you believe it if I told you 5 of my 7 lenses were old Minolta lenses from my dad's film camera (which I have also)  Sony's camera's can use the old Minolta lenses, which is one of the main reasons I went with Sony.  It's great, because the glass is amazing and even after 20+ years you can't beat it. 

Wow, that's really interesting!  Too bad I didn't know that, about a year ago I got rid of all mine.   But, that's so cool to have your Dad's camera and lenses.  For sure those lenses can't be beat! 

Wow, that's really interesting that you have all your dad's lenses, etc. still, and esp great that they work with your camera. 

I'm the original lame point & Shoot girl! Camera settings = math and math = headaches so manual it is for me. I'm much more into the software side of things. 

I have a Panasonic Lumix "bridge" camera which I've had for about 6 years. It's a good all-rounder. I mostly shoot in auto mode but will sometimes use aperture priority so that I get a RAW image to edit. I occasionally fantasise about having a proper DSLR but weight would be an issue for me. The Panasonic fits into my handbag or rucksack with no problem.

I used manual for everything in the 1970's with my Cannon FTB (film). Now with several digital cameras I've become "Auto" again. I try the manual, but can't seem to transition in digital to manual. I have a Cannon Rebel with two lenses, a Cannon smaller camera, and a Sony small camera. I use the small cameras more than anything.

Question: Have any of you taken online camera courses? They sound good, but I'm not sure.

5 hours ago, diannecp said:

Wow, that's really interesting that you have all your dad's lenses, etc. still, and esp great that they work with your camera. 

I'm the original lame point & Shoot girl! Camera settings = math and math = headaches so manual it is for me. I'm much more into the software side of things. 

I think that was my issue for many years, trying to read the manual and understanding it.  When I finally heard someone talk and broke it down VERY basic it made sense. 

I started taking photos in aperture priority after hearing that Jasmine Starr (a popular wedding photographer) does most of her photos in that mode.  That allowed me to learn about aperture.  Then any sports or fast moving I started in shutter priority.  After I got used to those I moved onto manual, cheating letting my camera tell me when everything was in balance.  But it all made more sense going in baby steps then reading a manual

3 minutes ago, angleigh said:

I think that was my issue for many years, trying to read the manual and understanding it.  When I finally heard someone talk and broke it down VERY basic it made sense. 

I started taking photos in aperture priority after hearing that Jasmine Starr (a popular wedding photographer) does most of her photos in that mode.  That allowed me to learn about aperture.  Then any sports or fast moving I started in shutter priority.  After I got used to those I moved onto manual, cheating letting my camera tell me when everything was in balance.  But it all made more sense going in baby steps then reading a manual

The only ones i've done were on Creative Live.  I love the site but you have to be available to watch the training as it's broadcasting live (or a replay shortly after) to get it for free, otherwise they can be pretty expensive.  But I will look at their upcoming schedule and sign up for ones that sound interesting and if I can jump on those days I do. 

I've never done any other kind though.

Ohh...I don't have time to read this right now...but I need camera help!!  I cannot seem to get off of Manual....AND I find myself using my phone more often because with babies and everyday life, you don't have to to run grab the big camera....My cell phone has a 12 mp camera.  My very first digital camera was 1.2 mp I believe!!  

I have a Canon Rebel XTi.  On Manual.  All.  The.  Time.  I looked at new bundles this winter...but decided I should learn what I have first before upgrading. ;)

You know, that's what's crazy cell phones have become better/better with their camera.  I think mine has a 5M front camera and up to 12M rear camera, I can even saw pics in RAW from it.  So alot of times that's more then enough, and you can get great pics from it.

I think we should do some photo challenges!  Maybe that would help us (I know I need help!!) get our cameras "out and off of manual".  Anyone?  Is it just me???

Why don't we have a camera emoji????  :dunno: 

1 minute ago, angleigh said:

You know, that's what's crazy cell phones have become better/better with their camera.  I think mine has a 5M front camera and up to 12M rear camera, I can even saw pics in RAW from it.  So alot of times that's more then enough, and you can get great pics from it.

Hmmm...I will have to look at mine.  I have an iPhone 7 plus, just got it in April so I'm still learning.  My first ever iPhone.  

7 hours ago, SodScrap said:

Ohh...I don't have time to read this right now...but I need camera help!!  I cannot seem to get off of Manual....AND I find myself using my phone more often because with babies and everyday life, you don't have to to run grab the big camera....My cell phone has a 12 mp camera.  My very first digital camera was 1.2 mp I believe!!  

I have a Canon Rebel XTi.  On Manual.  All.  The.  Time.  I looked at new bundles this winter...but decided I should learn what I have first before upgrading. ;)

Conda, I have almost the same camera. I think mine is a XTi 3. I've tried to get off manual but,..... Jaclyn took a photography class in college and of course she makes look easy. ? I tried to take a class online but at the time I didn't have a very good camera so I didn't follow through. I should see if I still have lessons and try again. My dad taught photography when I was little but that was pre-digital. I think I went on one or two field trips with his class butI don't think I absorbed much. lol! 

7 hours ago, angleigh said:

I would love to do photo challenges!

Didn't there used to be some sort of photography "club" or something like that when I first joined ScrapGirls?   I was too nervous to join, but I think I remember something like that?

52 minutes ago, April Showers said:

I'm using a Nikon D7100. I shoot mostly in manual mode with auto ISO.

I've done the Creative Live classes too. My daughter uses their iphone app and can watch a certain number of non-live episodes a day for free.

Good to know. Will check the app out. 

21 hours ago, diannecp said:

I'm with you on the math part. Ugh.

I have a Canon 5d mk ii. And a few lenses (one Lauren has claimed for herself) - I've taken 2 photography classes, but like Dianne math-math, lauren has also tried to teach me few things. Um in one ear...brain shuts down. I really would like a class that makes it easy for math 'challenged' brains. I understand aperture, and ISO, from there duh. I took a class last semester at adult education Dixie State University and learned zilch. The teacher plugged his book, and passed gas in front of the class, and we saw the same photos every week..... I shoot on 'auto' I'd love to move to manual. I know I can see the little numbers when I look through the eye thing (technical I am..not) but I have no clue what to move it to to get the best shot.

Ok...so I really, really want to get more photo activities going on the message board.  It's something that I LOVE and have a little knowledge in.   Let me wrap my head around how to go about it and see what I can come up with

36 minutes ago, angleigh said:

Ok...so I really, really want to get more photo activities going on the message board.  It's something that I LOVE and have a little knowledge in.   Let me wrap my head around how to go about it and see what I can come up with

Yay!! Excited to see what you come up with. 

54 minutes ago, angleigh said:

Good, hopefully Dianne and I can learn something.

5 hours ago, Smiles said:

I'm another one who takes "point and shoot" literally.  If it isn't small and light, I don't carry it.

I would LOVE to have a small and light camera, i'm afraid Gary might disown me..especially after buying the new one.  But I can tell you football season can be a struggle for me.  I don't use a strap with my camera when doing football games.  There is nothing heavier then a camera (with battery pack) and a 70-200 lens attached. 

1 hour ago, angleigh said:

I would LOVE to have a small and light camera, i'm afraid Gary might disown me..especially after buying the new one.  But I can tell you football season can be a struggle for me.  I don't use a strap with my camera when doing football games.  There is nothing heavier then a camera (with battery pack) and a 70-200 lens attached. 

Oh my that's so true!   Carrying heavy things wears me out before I even begin!    I'd love to learn more about photograph though.

Archived