Always Use vs Never Use On Your Layout

Let's talk layouts.  What's the 1 thing you find that you almost always use on a layout and the 1 thing that you look at in your stash and want to use, but it never ends up on your layout.

Always use - I would probably say flower/greenery of some sort.  That's probably on 98% of my layouts.  I don't know what it is, they just seem unfinished to me without it.

Never use - I don't know why but buttons/brads (attachments) I always look at them and plan on using them, but however I place them on my layout they just don't look right.  I love them on other's layouts, but I feel like I just can't use them correctly.

What a great question Angie!

Always Use - I'm like you - I have a flower - in 98% of my layouts too.  I love the flow and the anchoring points they create.  If I don't have a flower there will almost certainly be a vine or a piece of wire somewhere.  In my mind things have to be connected.  (!  Maybe because in my brain nothing is connected? !) Haha.

Never Use - GLITTER!  I am so not a glitter person.  It always looks out of place and not in context for some reason.  So I take it off.

This is going to be an interesting thread!!!

Almost always: Is journalling. I wonder whats the point of scrapping if there is no journalling. I love playing with papers/paper templates and blending.

Not very often: flowers, elements in general! I just don't seem to be able to get them to look right. The only way they look ok is if someone else has done them.

Good question Angie!

I always (well nearly always) have more than 1 photo in my LOs. I love photo clusters when they appear in store.

Never (well hardly ever) - styles. I may occasionally use some glitter or a metallic finish. Otherwise I just never remember to use them.

masks, I love them- all of them always

embellishments are hard, I really like the premade clusters. That is why I really enjoy making military LOs because I don't have to add flowers and stuff. There is only one type of flower that grows in Afghanistan the poppy for opium, so I won't be adding flowers or buttons to my son's military LOs. One of them just came home yesterday( praise God). 

That's wonderful news, Bonnie!
Interesting thread, Angie!   

Use:  I don't know if this counts, but I find I almost always use blending or have some sort of a soft edge on my layouts.  Even when I start with a template or frame, all hard edges never look right to me.  I love how others do it but can't seem to "get" it myself.  

Don't Use:  I rarely (unless forced by a challenge) have journaling on my pages.  Jody always laughed at that and tried to get me to, but for some reason it's all about the photos for me.   Funny, because I really enjoy reading others' journaling.   Actually Jody also tried to get me to use frames, (which she did so creatively, right?) but I rarely do or get them to look ok.   I never use banners or flags as I can't ever get them to look ok and I'm not fond of them. 

Hm, I think I'm with Mari. I always have some kind of blending, whether it's using a template, or just using a photo with a blending mode.

I'll have to get to you about what I don't use... I think I like a bit of everything!

I can't believe so many people don't like glitter!!! Like, GASP ;)

1 hour ago, AmandaFace said:

Hm, I think I'm with Mari. I always have some kind of blending, whether it's using a template, or just using a photo with a blending mode.

I'll have to get to you about what I don't use... I think I like a bit of everything!

Haha, I love your "Glitter Glows" and use them a lot!   And I laughed that you agreed about blending, I often use your products for that, too!   :) 

Interesting thread to read.

Let's see......

Always use a cluster of some kind, usually with leaves, flowers and ribbon or string. I hate it when a cluster doesn't fit the layout. I also love to start with a template. It might not look like the template when I finish, but I nearly always start with one.

Never ....... I rarely use SS papers unless I have to for a challenge or for the newsletter. I will regularly use SS embellishments though.

I most always use a mask, blending and page edgers. For me, edgers just seem to finish a page off. Also love clusters - either ready made ones with the collection or making my own with bits from the collections.

I rarely use alphas. I always want to, try to, but for the most part I end up taking them off because they don't seem to fit in.

Oooh, what a great question! This gave me a chance to look for patterns in my gallery.

Most often use: One photo, some sort of ribbon/string/or flourish, flowers
Least often use: Multiple photos (this is always a stretch for me and I almost always use a template to get me started), alphas, styles (though I love them and use tons when I'm designing)

FOLLOW-UP QUESTION: If there were tutorials, ideas, or inspiration on how to use your least-used things, would you use them more?

14 hours ago, AmandaFace said:

I had to laugh at your comments about glitter.  Amanda's Everyday Glitter finds its way onto lots of my pages. :)  I also like blending. Probably my favorite product is brushes and I like blending with them, too. My favorite layouts always are very digital, not the kind of pages that could (theoretically) be done with paper products. 

I seldom use alphas, though I admire them on other people's layouts. I just don't think about them much.

Great thread, Angie!

Love hearing everyone's responses!

Always use: 99% of my LOs use a template of some kind. I love flowers and Syndee's Shadow Me styles!

Never use: I seldom use Alphas, because I'm too lazy to line them up to create a title, then resize them to fit. I love brushes, but don't use them as much any more. I don't have a good organization method for them, so I can't see what I have as easily.

12 minutes ago, CRS said:

Love hearing everyone's responses!

Always use: 99% of my LOs use a template of some kind. I love flowers and Syndee's Shadow Me styles!

Never use: I seldom use Alphas, because I'm too lazy to line them up to create a title, then resize them to fit. I love brushes, but don't use them as much any more. I don't have a good organization method for them, so I can't see what I have as easily.

OOoh yeah, I'm always using brushes! And organizing them, wait who does that?? ;)

So it's interesting to hear that you guys never use Alphas! As a designer are you more interested in kits that replaces with with something else?

Always use - I always use flowers and greenery of some sort, alphas (love them) and I love to use frames.

Never use - I seldom use stitching and I hardly ever use masks, brushes, or blending modes, as they just never seem to work for me.

FOLLOW-UP QUESTION: If there were tutorials, ideas, or inspiration on how to use your least-used things, would you use them more? I Probably would use them more, if I knew what I was doing.

•  

Almost always use:  Styles and masks, and I have to force myself to use more than one photo and/or make them smaller, instead of using one large photo.  I like ribbons, too, as embellishments and borders.  Oh, blending modes, I almost always blend at least a couple of layers together.  I love seeing what the various modes do to two different patterned/colored papers.

Not used often/as much:  Well, journaling, although I've been trying hard to get better at it, because looking back at older LO's is more interesting when there's journaling to read.  Pre-made clusters are difficult for me to use; I think they're so pretty, but I can never seem to perfectly fit them to my LO's (not that I'm very good at making my own clusters, either, stuff gets thrown on willy-nilly).  And then white space, I have a hard time not utilizing all my space.  If my LO has space, I always want to make my photo(s) larger!

4 hours ago, lorac said:

Always use - I always use flowers and greenery of some sort, alphas (love them) and I love to use frames.

Never use - I seldom use stitching and I hardly ever use masks, brushes, or blending modes, as they just never seem to work for me.

FOLLOW-UP QUESTION: If there were tutorials, ideas, or inspiration on how to use your least-used things, would you use them more? I Probably would use them more, if I knew what I was doing.

•  

Carol, you forgot BUTTERFLIES!   :) 

8 hours ago, Florida granny said:

I had to laugh at your comments about glitter.  Amanda's Everyday Glitter finds its way onto lots of my pages. :)  I also like blending. Probably my favorite product is brushes and I like blending with them, too. My favorite layouts always are very digital, not the kind of pages that could (theoretically) be done with paper products. 

I seldom use alphas, though I admire them on other people's layouts. I just don't think about them much.

Great thread, Angie!

Hehe ;) I'm just a lover of the stuff. Real and digital!

Great thread. 

Always use: (when i do a layout - ahem! - i like soft edges so photo masks, blenders, and brushes almost always make it on to my layouts. 

Rarely use: Flowers, brads, ribbons, etc. Occasionally I'll use frames. I think by time I'm finished with the brushwork etc., i'm too pooped to look through folders of embellishments. :)

This is not easy to answer...

Always... possibly  a flower or flowers but if the page does not require a flower it will have an embellishment that matches something in the photo/photos.  I really like using stitching when it works well on a page.

Hardly ever.... brushes and yet I have lots of them and do not know why I do not use them more

Archived