Gradient not working as mask

Joey

I have done this simple technique a million, well okay, hundreds of times.  Now it just isn't working.  Making gradient on new layer, clipping photo, but photo doesn't change.  What am I missing here?

screenshot.png

Hmmm...I can't quite see screenshot image well, but have you tried changing the blend mode? Also, it looks like you're clipping the photo to the gradient. Try clipping the gradient to the photo and see if that changes your results.

• 4 weeks later...

I never use clipping mask. There is an easier way to do this kind of manipulation.

You just have to create a new layer above your picture layer, you create your gradient and play with the blending modes. When you're satisfied by the result, you just have to merge your two layers together and it works.

Hope it will be helpful !

27 minutes ago, Graphia Bella said:

I never use clipping mask. There is an easier way to do this kind of manipulation.

You just have to create a new layer above your picture layer, you create your gradient and play with the blending modes. When you're satisfied by the result, you just have to merge your two layers together and it works.

Hope it will be helpful !

Very helpful - all of this! :) 

Are you trying to get the photo to fade out at the bottom? Maybe you made the gradient from black to white instead of black to transparent. Can't quite see your screenshot.

It's a good point elibar. This happened often to me in the past... Now I always check that at first before searching for hours ha ha ha !!!!

Archived