What Catches Your Eye

angleigh

So with all this talk about designers and your favorite kit.  What is the first thing that catches your eye in a kit?

I'm a paper person, always have been.  When I did paper scrapping I would buy papers and know I was never going to use them..I mean come on I have 2 boys how many pretty floral papers could I possibly use?  But i'm just as bad with digi.  If a kit has great papers it's mine, I may never use it but I have it.

The first thing that catches my eye is the color palette. I'm drawn to the bright, cheerful colors, probably because I have girls. But I do like heritage too. If a kit has unique embellishments from other kits, I'll buy it!

Lately I'm on a paper craze, but just for the solid papers.  Unique embellishments get me, too. I'm not much for flowers, but in a specially themed kit, if I can relate an embellishment to photos I have then bazinga!

Its paper with me too. Loved paper when I was doing the hybrid scrapping and it hasn't changed since I went digi. I like the plainer papers but it is the colours that really attract me the most. I can't believe how many ways a paper can be presented. I guess texture is a big thing as well on the paper.

I'm drawn to color and softer palettes, too - so I check out the papers, but I have to admit, once I see a lot of patterned papers, not for me.    
Next I always look at the embellishments, they seem most important in layouts for me and often are a deal breaker.   :) 

Let me see, colour first then theme, then embellishments. I must admit I am pretty good, if I know I am never going to use a collection (usually due to theme) I won't buy it, even if I am drawn to the colours.

12 hours ago, ValerieT said:

Let me see, colour first then theme, then embellishments. I must admit I am pretty good, if I know I am never going to use a collection (usually due to theme) I won't buy it, even if I am drawn to the colours.

You are good Valerie!  I sometimes buy gorgeous things not knowing if I will use them just because they are so amazing!! ;)

19 hours ago, mimes1 said:

For me the Color Palette is the first thing that catches my eye. And Birds.  If there is a bird in a kit, I'm usually pretty sold.

Don't I know it, Amy! I always add a bird in my kit just so you'll do a layout for me. LOL!

Color and then embellishments for me, but if I'm not happy with the papers I won't buy the collection or if the option is available, I'll just buy the embellishments.

19 hours ago, Bride said:

Color and then embellishments for me, but if I'm not happy with the papers I won't buy the collection or if the option is available, I'll just buy the embellishments.

Me too. I also want at least half of the papers to be solid colors. I won't buy a kit if the papers are mostly patterned.

On 6/27/2017 at 11:20 PM, Cheri T said:

I'm often drawn to the papers first, but for me, it can be ANYTHING - sometimes I have to have a kit b/c the alpha is so unique, or it has the absolute perfect word art, or a special embellishment.

Haha, glad to see I'm not the only one who has bought a kit just to get that one really cool embellishment or alpha that I can imagine a use for . . .

I think the color palette draws me first. You designers are great at giving us a mix of patterns and solids/mostly solids that we can play with. I like to have those busier patterns peeking out from behind something else instead of using them as background, but they all work together so well. 

I also really love having a variety of embellishments in a "big" collection - different styles of flowers and buttons and bows are great, but I also like flairs (with designs instead of words) and things that are more "flat" (chipboard, paper strips, tags, journaling cards/ strips/tags, cameras, frames/masks, leaves, charms, flat brads, staples, string, stitching, washi tape, ribbons, border strips, etc.). 

Archived