Favorite kind of papers? Patterns? Solids? a Mix?

When I create a layout, I really enjoy using one solid (or nearly solid) paper for the background, then using smaller pieces of patterned papers to help make an interesting design.  For example:

DRB_Today_LO2_600_zpsetw6quky.jpg

What are your favorite kind of background papers to create layouts with? Do you use a lot of coordinated patterns? Or mostly solid colors? Or a mix of both? :)

I love patterns, but of course we need solids as well. Solids need textures though!  (not just a solid fill color)  I love layers and textures.  And patterns.  Did I mention patterns?  

I love solids with a little texture. Or I add texture with overlays and brushes. I've been known to make whole photo books with just white (textured) paper in the background. But I love coordinating patterns, too and am drawn to collections where I think all the papers could be used easily together. I should add that I use our ScrapSimple products in almost every layout and will often clip very patterned papers to ScrapSimple designs. Here's an example: I took a patterned paper from ABR Chic Instincts and clipped it to SS flowers which are part of JRA's Memory Book Frames. (I've clipped patterned papers to your overlays, too.)  I think the patterned paper adds a lot more interest than a solid would. So please keep designing all kinds of papers for us!

JRA_MemoryBook_Frames withABR Chic Instinct overlay.jpg

I always look for a patterned paper that compliments my photo/graphic and start from there.  Mixing patterns is a favorite technique of mine but if a solid paper is needed, brushes and masks are great.

4 hours ago, englishrose said:

Solids or solids with a texture are my favourite for placing directly behind photos but I love pattern too.

Me, too. Simple patters or grunge, some papers already blended.

10 hours ago, Florida granny said:

I love solids with a little texture. Or I add texture with overlays and brushes. I've been known to make whole photo books with just white (textured) paper in the background. But I love coordinating patterns, too and am drawn to collections where I think all the papers could be used easily together. I should add that I use our ScrapSimple products in almost every layout and will often clip very patterned papers to ScrapSimple designs. Here's an example: I took a patterned paper from ABR Chic Instincts and clipped it to SS flowers which are part of JRA's Memory Book Frames. (I've clipped patterned papers to your overlays, too.)  I think the patterned paper adds a lot more interest than a solid would. So please keep designing all kinds of papers for us!

JRA_MemoryBook_Frames withABR Chic Instinct overlay.jpg

I find this totally amazing and so impressive!  I've seen your beautiful photo books Diane and they are lovely. 
And, thanks for explaining how to do this! :)

I really like some patterned papers but use a lot of solids as I like to do a lot of journaling so I am not very happy when I would like to work with just one kit and discover it only has patterned papers. 

It's really interesting to read your comments. I had stopped to make solids because on the French world of scrap, it doesn't sell, rarely use. But if you like it as much, I will make it again !

For my style, I rarely use solids and patterns... Sometimes but really rarely. I love mixed papers, grunge or blended with elements and script brushes.

I love creating patterned papers but do create base/solid format. Regardless of what type of paper it is, I need to create them with textures and I generally go for a worn, dirty, grungy, blended look as well.

When I create patterned papers there is always one pattern that will stand out for me and then I get my mojo on and create a set which I can generally visualise the end result in my head before finishing them. 

Even if one of my collections don't have a set of base papers most of my papers are able to be mixed and matched no matter what kit they come from.

As for scrapping I love to start with patterns and when needed bring the base paper or a non imposing patterned paper in depending on the reason. I will often journal with pattern papers as well.

Here's a few layouts using my own kits and loving that patterned look which is so workable! :)

GGD_Modes.jpg

GGD_AntiqueFuschiaJiffy_1.jpg

GGD_FreshandWild_Jiffy1.jpg

GGD_OrangePopFizz_Jiffy1.jpg

My favorites are old wrinkly tattered papers and wood papers especially if they have flaky paint on them! I will always buy those kits fast! I love the bold patterns and buy things for the patterns but then usually get overwhelmed with the looks so go back not so bold looks! But I don't really like or use solids much, I'm a more is more kind of girl!

I love the textur-y, grungy, wood grained and worn, torn, industrial pattern and paint papers too.  Coupling them with something clean is favorite look that I enjoy.  My last go to is a paper with a repetitive pattern on it. After all these years I still can't figure out what to do with those.:huh:

Archived