Tools Missing from the Tool Bar

jmadden

When I tried to use the crop tool, I noticed that my tool bar was no longer showing in two columns like it normally does.  It was only one long column, and I couldn't see the tools I needed.  This happened to me a few months ago, and I somehow fixed it.  But I don't remember what the fix was, and I've been all over the internet searching in vain for help.  I already tried resetting the tool bar, but that didn't do it.  Also, I was able to get the crop tool but using the "c" key, but then I didn't have the four crop options that I used to have.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Thanks for any help you can provide.

jmadden

What program are you using? In Photoshop CC, go to the Windows tab along the top of your screen. Click this and a drop-down menu opens. All the way at the bottom you will see "Tools." If there is no checkmark next to it, click the word and your toolbar should pop open.

Other versions of Photoshop or Elements may have something similar. Hope this helps!

I'm sorry I forgot some important details.  I'm using Elements 14.  I have already tried your suggestion, but the check mark is there.  Normally, all of the tools are shown in two columns side by side, but now, they are listed in one column such that you can't see the ones at the bottom.  My tool bar has View tools, Select tools, Enhance tools, Draw tools, but the Modify tools are missing.  If I could get the tool bar into two columns, like it should be, I would probably have all of my tools.

Something like this happened to me once, but I can't remember how I fixed it!
I think I might have eventually had to "reset preferences" but I'm not sure.

I found this video, but it's for PSE 9.  I don't see the graphics it shows on my PSE 13, so it probably won't be in your PSE14 I'd guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCNxF5am-Ys

I also read this on a search -

• You have to rip it down so it comes loose from the options bar before you get the arrows in PSE 9. However, a double column toolbox in PSE 9 doesn't snap to size: you still have a full length toolbox, only with a lot of stupid empty gray space at the bottom.
    • I was able to somehow pull the single tool column down and get it to show as a double column. I am not sure as to exactly how I did this, but I did get the double column tool box and so far it has remained. There is some gray column overlap at the bottom of the screen.

I was afraid to try this on mine in case I lost the double columns!

Funny thing is when I searched and looked at the results, your question on SG was the second one!  

Here is how to reset preferences in PSE.  I've had it help whenever mine has gone wonky.
Keep in mind, though that anything you have changed/set to your own preference will have to be reset or set up again.

Hopefully it will help - especially if there were two columns to begin with as resetting preferences puts the program back to how it was in the beginning.

Good luck!  

Restting PSE preferences

Archived