Antivirus Software - What do you use?

angleigh

So today I officially "fired" McAfee.  I know it's one that alot of people use, and I have for YEARS.  But I also know it's one that not alot of IT people recommend.  When I got my new computer they recommended another software, but I was still in my prepaid year with McAfee.

This morning I got an email that mine had renewed for 89.99 for the year.  My bad I forgot to cancel it, so I went online to get it cancelled/refunded for the main reason of it being crazy to me to pay $90 for a year.  The canceling was the easy part.  The part that made me want to scream was the "since you're a valued customer , I can help you cancel that and then purchase our complete coverage plan for all your devices for 44.99 a year"  What...I wanted to kill them.  My response back was if I was such a valued customer why wasn't that offered to me before canceling? 

So I canceled and then talked to my husband's IT guy at the company he works for and signed up for WEBROOT.  Not sure how good it is, but it's 1 he suggested.  Anything at this time that wasn't McAfee I was happy with

Wow...that is a rip off and we have McAffee too. Now I want to look into this.

3 minutes ago, Boatlady said:

Wow...that is a rip off and we have McAffee too. Now I want to look into this.

If you use the auto renewal for sure call them.  The lady told me it wasn't an option with the auto renew, which is why I wasn't offered it in the past.   If she hadn't of made me so mad, I would of probably stayed with it, since I already had it.

I have used Webroot for the last 2 years and I loved it!! I accidentally bought Kapersky when it was time to renew. I hate it!!! It has made my laptop run so slow. I did research and found a way to fix it which helped a little. Also on certain websites a little pop box appears with some kind of issue. Drives me nuts. I would switch back to webroot but I already spent the money.

11 hours ago, ladyscrapalot said:

I have used Webroot for the last 2 years and I loved it!! I accidentally bought Kapersky when it was time to renew. I hate it!!! It has made my laptop run so slow. I did research and found a way to fix it which helped a little. Also on certain websites a little pop box appears with some kind of issue. Drives me nuts. I would switch back to webroot but I already spent the money.

I'm so glad to hear that you used it and liked it.  Kapersky was one I had looked at, but after reading some reviews I decided against it.  It sounded like their CS department wasn't easy to deal with

5 hours ago, Scrapin Pat said:

So excuse my lack of tech knowledge - why doesn't a mac need virus protection?  

I have a Mac and was always told I didn't need virus protection but could never get a good answer as to why.   What I was told mostly was that since there are so many less Macs around, hackers don't bother to infect them.   Sounds crazy but maybe true?

I have a Mac now but when I used a Windows PC, I used Norton because it came free with my Comcast internet account. I too hate anything auto renewal. Don't get me started on all the auto-stuff I hate! 

So far i've been happy with webroot, and I was able to put it on the boy's computer.

I think what makes me angry is that the larger named companies feel like they can charge anything they want, because their programs either come on most computers or they are just the first names people think of when it comes to anti virus. 

Oh and auto rebill...i've had to make myself come to accept it because so many places do it.  But what I hate is places you can't cancel until the next bill is due or it stops your membership.  I belonged to a site and the first year was no issue, then it renewed and a few months later I decided I wasn't using it as much as I should be and was going to cancel.  It was either cancel at that point and loose like 8months because it canceled "right then" or wait and hopefully remember to cancel closer to the date.  To me that's so annoying!

On 07/08/2017 at 0:10 AM, Becster said:

I have used the free home version of Avast for years.

I also have used Avast for years now but I have a paid one to give me a little more protection for both my desktop and Laptop. 

On 07/08/2017 at 4:38 AM, Scrapin Pat said:

So excuse my lack of tech knowledge - why doesn't a mac need virus protection?  

I just did a Google search and found this information:

Why Macs don't need security software. ... It's like having a series of fire doors - even if malware gains access to your Mac, it is unable to spread to the heart of the machine. Macs are not unhackable, but they are more difficult to exploit than are Windows PCs.

Archived