JenniferZ

More Paper Questions (Designers want to know...)

25 posts in this topic

Can you stand more paper questions??

It seems as if a lot of you love patterned papers, but feel overwhelmed.

Would you prefer standalone sets of patterns that play well together, or do you prefer to buy complete kits with coordinating embellishments?

Would you like to see more blended/collaged/mixed-pattern papers in collections, or do you prefer ScrapSimple paper templates that make it easier to make your own?

Would you like more brushes and masks in the store specifically to create your own papers?

Would you like tutorials on how to mix patterns, blend papers, or create layouts with more patterns than solids?

Inquiring minds want to know! 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do want to see more blended/col./Mixed-pattern papers and I use masks all the time mainly for the photos. brushes I do use some to help erase edges of papers or photos. Thanks for asking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like either stand alone coordinated papers or kits with the papers and coordinating embellishments equally. (Sorry; that's no help to you. :lol:);

I would prefer the ScrapSimple paper templates. That way I can use the paper as is or change it up with the template.

I don't use brushes to make papers, but that's just me. I do use brushes for lots of other things, though, so bring 'em on! Definitely "Yes" to the masks.

I love all kinds of tutorials, so sure.

PS -- I love that you ask questions, Jennifer, and that you are always around in the gallery making comments. It means a lot to us scrappers! Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me, too Jennifer.  I really appreciate how any time I use one of your products you know and comment!  Always makes me feel good..
I pretty much only buy collections because I like the coordinating pieces all together.  I never buy separate sets because I don't like having to look all over for pieces, although after the basics, I'll use pieces from another collection.   I will buy paper sets that match with a collection, but when I see more patterned papers than not in a collection I don't buy it.   Most collections seem to have more pattered papers and a coordinating solid paper set, I always wish it were opposite!

ScrapSimple papers?  Always seems a good idea, but I find I rarely if ever use them as it's too much work!  I'm not interested in making my own papers, I love when you designers do that work and wrap it all up in a pretty collection!  
I've read some tutorials on using patterns and I've seen others use them very effectively, but I've come to see that I just don't like using them.  Maybe because I like a lot on a page and then it's too busy - or that for some reason I can never get them to work.   I really love blender templates so I can mix my solids, well if that's creating paper, I guess that's good for me!

I hope I'm not too confusing, it's been a long day here! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, ladies - any ideas or tips on things that you like/prefer/need is always helpful. It goes without saying that we like to create products that people will love!

My summer designing is done and so I am looking towards fall and Christmas (eek! lol) for themes/colors/ideas. Since I don't have anything specific in mind - and because the papers are the base for every collection - it's nice to have some idea of what you all like to work with. It's funny because I try to keep my papers lightly textured, because it seems that those papers would be more versatile in working with other papers. But, what I'm hearing is you want more texture! So, my next kits -- at least for fall -- will include lots of texture in my solids (or subtle solids)!!

What textures do you crave? Paper folds, scratches, tears, peeling wallpaper? Textile -- like denim, sweater, leather, suede and wool? Or natural -- like branches and wood, moss, dirt/rocks, sand, snow, leaf prints, water damage? Or industrial -- metal, rust, paint splatters, drips, swipes, chrome plate?

I'm all ears -- lots of these ideas will very possible be showing up around or a little after Labor Day, since my kiddos go back to school on the 21st. :monstercry:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really love paper textures - folds, tears, etc. Also I would love some punched edge papers that would look cool overlaid with another paper. I do tend to buy complete sets with embellishments, etc. but then I rarely use the embellishments. I use a lot of brushes and enjoy making my own papers with brushes as well as ScrapSimple templates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MariJ said:

Me, too Jennifer.  I really appreciate how any time I use one of your products you know and comment!  Always makes me feel good..
I pretty much only buy collections because I like the coordinating pieces all together.  I never buy separate sets because I don't like having to look all over for pieces, although after the basics, I'll use pieces from another collection.   I will buy paper sets that match with a collection, but when I see more patterned papers than not in a collection I don't buy it.   Most collections seem to have more pattered papers and a coordinating solid paper set, I always wish it were opposite!

ScrapSimple papers?  Always seems a good idea, but I find I rarely if ever use them as it's too much work!  I'm not interested in making my own papers, I love when you designers do that work and wrap it all up in a pretty collection!  
I've read some tutorials on using patterns and I've seen others use them very effectively, but I've come to see that I just don't like using them.  Maybe because I like a lot on a page and then it's too busy - or that for some reason I can never get them to work.   I really love blender templates so I can mix my solids, well if that's creating paper, I guess that's good for me!

I hope I'm not too confusing, it's been a long day here! :) 

I agree with everything Marilyn says. :P Thanks for asking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow Jennifer you look as if you are putting a lot of thought into this.
I love papers best out of everything and I like papers more on the solid side with texture but not too much texture. burlap, clouds, soft blending etc
I find myself caught in the goldilocks situation. Sometimes it has too big a texture/pattern and sometimes it has to small a texture/pattern, not often do I strike it just right😳Its the same with pattern paper too much pattern or not enough pattern. But all this depends on the mood of my layout and more often than not, my mood☺️. So I don't think designers can help me😆

I really like the suggestion of:

15 hours ago, JenniferZ said:

ScrapSimple paper templates that make it easier to make your own?

Having tutorials on working with the SS paper templates and brushes to suit our own situation would be awesome. I have soooo many of the paper templates and I know they can do amazing results but I just often get blah!!

Thanks for asking😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like used a complete kit and I like to find in the kits a mixture of solid and patterned papers, I like very much masks and brushes.
I love to play with the ScrapSimple papers and I am always in terested by the tutorials, I am of curious nature for all which is new!
I love all sorts of textures in the papers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jennifer for asking this...alot of the questions i've wondered about myself. 

Love reading all the answers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JenniferZ said:

Thanks, ladies - any ideas or tips on things that you like/prefer/need is always helpful. It goes without saying that we like to create products that people will love!

My summer designing is done and so I am looking towards fall and Christmas (eek! lol) for themes/colors/ideas. Since I don't have anything specific in mind - and because the papers are the base for every collection - it's nice to have some idea of what you all like to work with. It's funny because I try to keep my papers lightly textured, because it seems that those papers would be more versatile in working with other papers. But, what I'm hearing is you want more texture! So, my next kits -- at least for fall -- will include lots of texture in my solids (or subtle solids)!!

What textures do you crave? Paper folds, scratches, tears, peeling wallpaper? Textile -- like denim, sweater, leather, suede and wool? Or natural -- like branches and wood, moss, dirt/rocks, sand, snow, leaf prints, water damage? Or industrial -- metal, rust, paint splatters, drips, swipes, chrome plate?

I'm all ears -- lots of these ideas will very possible be showing up around or a little after Labor Day, since my kiddos go back to school on the 21st. :monstercry:

CHRISTMAS???  EEk for sure.
Funny about textures.   I find myself totally avoiding folds, tears and anything that looks like a "mistake" or accident on the paper.  I finally realized and laughed when I found myself thinking, "If this were paper scrapping I'd never use that paper with the tear/fold/mark -- I'd throw it out!"  So, I don't used them, but that's my craziness.  (& a little bit of perfectionism).  I do like natural and textile textures, but mostly I like subtle and soft and anything that makes the paper not "flat" but doesn't take over the design, like patterns always do for me...  I do like the watercolor effect or any texture that blends into the background without being recognizable, does that make sense?  I guess for as much as I love paper, I don't like them taking over my page and go more for the nondescript, more artsy feel.  I don't really like when a paper is a picture-perfect "photo" of something like a sweater, etc.   Ok, enough from me.   :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loving the feedback -- my thinking cap is on!!! 🎩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my 2 cents worth. I love textured papers as it adds depth to the page. I don't mind patterned papers I'm just not good at using them. I also love blended papers as well. I've read some tuts on using SS papers. I need to practice more with them but they are not my go to papers. Masks I love and use often but I know I'm not using them to their full potential. As for brushes, I forget to use them so something else to work on. 

I know there are some great tuts already listed and just need to refer back to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with Marilyn on torn/worn/folded papers.  In fact, I spend a lot of time "mending" distressed papers!  Give me something that looks new, any day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Smiles said:

I'm with Marilyn on torn/worn/folded papers.  In fact, I spend a lot of time "mending" distressed papers!  Give me something that looks new, any day.

Whew, glad to hear I'm not the only one Gayle, I always sort of laugh at myself!   :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2017 at 0:48 PM, DixieLee said:

I do want to see more blended/col./Mixed-pattern papers and I use masks all the time mainly for the photos. brushes I do use some to help erase edges of papers or photos. Thanks for asking!

Oh that's interesting! So let me get this right, you take a blended/collage type background and erase edges to make it moreso an embellishment?? That's an awesome idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • yes, that is what I do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great questions Jennifer. My preference is for kits, as I'm looking for theme or color based collections. I already have a substantial stash of solid papers, small geometrics and patterns that I consider basic staples, so for me, I'm looking for unique papers. The most time consuming for me to make is collaged papers, so if a designer has collage or mixed media ready to go, then perfect. A couple of blended, mixed media or collage papers per big collection is welcome. If a designer has embedded text, script, or something themed into the paper itself that limits its use, it is a low priority for purchase unless accompanied by unique elements or it is a theme that I need. If I see a solid paper pack with each sheet containing the exact same texture as the next color, then I usually view it as something I could make myself. Regarding texture, anything thicker (fabric, heavy gesso) is more challenging for me to use. Thanks for the chance to give feedback. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read each answer and I note that is really though to enjoy everyone with papers. Preferences are so opposite for each of us. So the only solution I found, is to variate my kind of papers from one collection to other. I continue to read you, taking notes and try to make each of you happy with my creations. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Graphia Bella said:

I read each answer and I note that is really though to enjoy everyone with papers. Preferences are so opposite for each of us. So the only solution I found, is to variate my kind of papers from one collection to other. I continue to read you, taking notes and try to make each of you happy with my creations. :)

That is a good idea and thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2017 at 5:42 PM, DixieLee said:
  • yes, that is what I do.

I do something similar, I use a mask, erase the edges, flip the mask/duplicate it sometimes. It all depends on the photo I use.
Love textures and creases, which adds a nice depth to some of my layouts.  Color is also very important, I  prefer to make my own collage of papers but also use the scrap simple collage papers for my layouts  and combine them together. Love the bold and abstract designs too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All great stuff....several textured, ripped or folded edges, burned edges, distress papers that coordinate with prints. Overlays and blenders are always great. We also need more gesso papers. I would also loves scribbles. That is my two cents worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you -- I'm taking notes. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now