VSWilliams

Whatcha reading this week?

25 posts in this topic

I finished up a snoozer (Jennifer Weiner, The Next Best Thing) so I'm really needing something good. Suggestions?

I'm reading some of Janet Evanovich's books. Happy, silly investigators.

5 hours ago, jenrou said:

I'm reading some of Janet Evanovich's books. Happy, silly investigators.

What kind of stuff does she write? I see her name all the time but know nothing about her.

I'm plodding through Olive Kitteridge for book club. My pick and I hate it! :o It got such good reviews I bought a hard copy - which I never do! Such a disappointment. Oh well, like I always say (about food), if I'm lucky it won't be the last book! 

On the flip side - also reading Rising Strong by Brene Brown - highly recommend. 

Just finished "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. Absolutely loved it!

42 minutes ago, englishrose said:

Oh I LOVED "The Secret Life of Bees"!! :)

3 hours ago, englishrose said:

I loved that book!

23 hours ago, VSWilliams said:

What kind of stuff does she write? I see her name all the time but know nothing about her.

She usually has a decent crime or FBI investigation going on with a hunky guy involved (of course). It's light reading when you need a break from thinking too much. She is a out-there-kind-of girl, fixes cars, a little wacky at times; her father helps-he is ex mil and funny, but resourceful.

It is not heavy thinking reading, but in between more thoughtful books, I like them.:)

1 hour ago, jenrou said:

She usually has a decent crime or FBI investigation doing on with a hunky guy involved (of course). It's light reading when you need a break from thinking too much. She is a out-there-kind-of girl, fixes cars, a little wacky at times; her father helps-he is ex mil and funny, but resourceful.

It is not heavy thinking reading, but in between more thoughtful books, I like them.:)

I definitely appreciate light reading. Not a snob when it comes to those kind of stories :)

I just started to read 'Three Days In January Dwight Eisenhower's Final Mission' by Bret Baier.

When I finish that I'll go back to reading some of Janet Evanovich's books. They always make me laugh at the craziness Stephanie Plum gets into. Love that Ranger, babe.

I haven't been reading much lately, but I have a long commute and to pass the time in the car I listen to recorded books.  I just finished Stephen King's Hearts in Atlantis, and yesterday started The Widower's Tale by Julia Glass.  So far it's got me pulled in.

For the last two or three weeks I've been reading (actually re-reading - third time, I think) Diana Galbadon's Oultlander series; books two & three are about 1000 pages each, and I have the rest of the series (except for the latest, which doesn't seem to be out yet) to go.  No boredom in sight! 

For those who haven't read Gabaldon's books:  they're somewhere between science fiction, fantasy, and history - time travel in the 1700's.  I love her writing style, and her impressive inclusion of the history of Europe and "the Colonies", as well as the medical knowledge, or lack thereof, at the time.  Amazing research!

8 hours ago, jhbren said:

For the last two or three weeks I've been reading (actually re-reading - third time, I think) Diana Galbadon's Oultlander series; books two & three are about 1000 pages each, and I have the rest of the series (except for the latest, which doesn't seem to be out yet) to go.  No boredom in sight! 

For those who haven't read Gabaldon's books:  they're somewhere between science fiction, fantasy, and history - time travel in the 1700's.  I love her writing style, and her impressive inclusion of the history of Europe and "the Colonies", as well as the medical knowledge, or lack thereof, at the time.  Amazing research!

I started watching the tv series and it was good!

On August 20, 2017 at 11:11 AM, jhbren said:

I agree! I have those books and read them over and over at times.:D

I usually get free books from Bookbub or the library. Lately the Bookbub books are not very good, so I need to get some good ones from the library. With my head cold or allergies, nothing is too interesting.

I am reading the second book of the Hunger Games trilogy. I have read them before & seen the movies all bar the last one. They are quite 'dark' & a bit gruesome. Not everyone's cup of tea.

On 8/20/2017 at 11:11 AM, jhbren said:

One of my fav series!!

On 8/27/2017 at 6:55 AM, scrapgran said:

I am reading the second book of the Hunger Games trilogy. I have read them before & seen the movies all bar the last one. They are quite 'dark' & a bit gruesome. Not everyone's cup of tea.

I've read them. It's one of my son's fav series. He's reading something right now he's really into I'll have to find out what it is...

On August 27, 2017 at 6:55 AM, scrapgran said:

I started one of them, but maybe just my mood, it was a little too dark for me. I may try again one of these days. My daughter in law loved them.

Salt to the Sea, 5 stars and an easy read.  By Ruta Sepetys  It is based on true events that happened during WWII.  

I just finished The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing by Mira Jacobs. Excellent read on many levels. Took her ten years to write it. 

I've been stalled in the middle of a book, and may have to start all over. Too many things on my mind, I guess. :)

This is the second time this has happened to me in about 4 weeks...I start a book that sounds great, only to get about a chapter in and realize I've read it before. I don't remember all the details, but once someone new is introduced or an event happens, I realize I knew that already. Frustrating!

On 9/14/2017 at 0:06 PM, CRS said:

This is the second time this has happened to me in about 4 weeks...I start a book that sounds great, only to get about a chapter in and realize I've read it before. I don't remember all the details, but once someone new is introduced or an event happens, I realize I knew that already. Frustrating!

I hate that, Carla! Happens more often than I care to admit. Trying to use Goodreads to keep track of my reading but it still manages to happen. 

I haven't been able to read for a while, but now I'm feeling like sinking into some good books. I did just finish the Audiobook version of The First Hand that Held Mine and loved it. Would love some suggestions for future reads.