Background blenders by Brandy

jenrou

Hi Jean, can you tell us which ones you have?
Are the PSD files or pngs?

Normally I clip backgrounds to each layer in the PSD file, sometimes I clip a paper to one.
Let us know which ones you mean and maybe it will be easier to explain?

There are 4 pieces to this blender.    Background, blender 1, blender 2 and blender 3.  Make sure you are using the PSD file - put that in PSE to work with.

1.  First I looked at the piece blender 3, placed my photo above it in the layers panel and clipped my photo to the blender (Command-G) while the photo layer was active (clicked on).
You might have to resize the photo to fit in the blender piece way you'd like on your page.

If you look at the photo of my layout you can see how the photo is in the shape of this blender piece.

BMU_SSPaper_BGBlenders4_5_d_Blender-3.png

2.  Next, I took a dark brown paper and placed it over the "background" (named BG) or bottom layer piece in the PSD file.  You normally don't have to clip to the background, it will just show through in the places where the background does.
See the dark pieces around the edges of my layout?  That's the background paper showing through and the dark paper I chose.

3.  Then, I took another paper and placed it above "blender 2" in the layers panel, clicked on the paper layer to make it active and clipped it to the piece "blender 2". ("Command-G")

4.  Pick another paper and do the same for layer "blender 3".
If you look at my layout, you can see that there is a lighter and a darker paper/pattern behind the photo - those are the two blenders showing through with the papers clipped to them. 

I normally use one collection when I'm doing this because I know the pieces will be of the same shades, etc and mix well.  But, you certainly can mix papers if you like.  Sometimes I don't like the combinations I've used so I will delete a paper layer and try another until I like how it looks.

You don't have to clip a photo if you don't want to, you can just clip papers and use the completed piece as your blended background and put the photos on top (or whatever you're doing on your page!) :)

I hope this helps, try it step-by-step and let us know if you're having problems at any step.  Good luck!  

Once you get the hang of clipping the papers to the template, play with the blending modes like Kelly said. You can come up with some amazing results. There are days I just create backgrounds by playing with different template sets and papers.

Great directions, Marilyn!

31 minutes ago, CRS said:

Once you get the hang of clipping the papers to the template, play with the blending modes like Kelly said. You can come up with some amazing results. There are days I just create backgrounds by playing with different template sets and papers.

Great directions, Marilyn!

That's a good idea too, Carla! I should/want/must play around more!!!

Grab the brushes that go with the papers, too - if a corner of your photo is missing, you can add it to the template layer.  Or if you want something in your photo not to show, you can erase it. I love, love, love Brandy's blenders!

Hi Jean. The ones that are .png's I usually clip a paper to photo to it. If it's a .psd file I open it up in the layers and clip papers, photos or do a color overlay, or style. Once you start using them you'll want to use them all the time!

9 hours ago, MariJ said:

2.  Next, I took a dark brown paper and placed it over the "background" (named BG) or bottom layer piece in the PSD file.  You normally don't have to clip to the background, it will just show through in the places where the background does.
See the dark pieces around the edges of my layout?  That's the background paper showing through and the dark paper I chose.

3.  Then, I took another paper and placed it above "blender 2" in the layers panel, clicked on the paper layer to make it active and clipped it to the piece "blender 2". ("Command-G")

4.  Pick another paper and do the same for layer "blender 3".
If you look at my layout, you can see that there is a lighter and a darker paper/pattern behind the photo - those are the two blenders showing through with the papers clipped to them. 

I normally use one collection when I'm doing this because I know the pieces will be of the same shades, etc and mix well.  But, you certainly can mix papers if you like.  Sometimes I don't like the combinations I've used so I will delete a paper layer and try another until I like how it looks.

You don't have to clip a photo if you don't want to, you can just clip papers and use the completed piece as your blended background and put the photos on top (or whatever you're doing on your page!) :)

I hope this helps, try it step-by-step and let us know if you're having problems at any step.  Good luck!  

You should do a tutorial for us. This is great!

5 hours ago, jenrou said:

What a great tutorial, Marilyn! Thank you, and everyone who gave tips. I am going to try this. Years ago I may have figured it out, but now I need instructions.:P

I'm glad it makes sense to you Jean, I hope it works for you.   I think background blenders are my favorite scrapping item - I'd have a hard time now scrapping without them!  

7 hours ago, Smiles said:

Grab the brushes that go with the papers, too - if a corner of your photo is missing, you can add it to the template layer.  Or if you want something in your photo not to show, you can erase it. I love, love, love Brandy's blenders!

Oh I did not know that and I even have the brushes, thank you Gayle!  Sometimes I DO have trouble with the photo not quite fitting so this is great! :)

• 1 month later...
On August 22, 2017 at 9:57 AM, lorac said:

Wouldn't you know it. I've got all of the sets, EXCEPT for the first one. Figures, doesn't it.

I thought I had the first one, but like you, have all except the first one. :rolleyes:

Archived