Elements 14 question

notsosavvy

If your computer is windows... you can just hit ctrl+j

for mac computer.... command+j

or you can right click and choose duplicate layer

or you can click on the little lines beside the trash can to the upper right and choose duplicate layer

1 hour ago, A-M said:

or you can click on the little lines beside the trash can to the upper right and choose duplicate layer

Oh, thanks Anne=Marie for writing this out.  I knew there were other ways but I couldn't remember and I especially wanted to know the shortcut command, this is great! :)  

I go to "file" then "save as" add the word "copy" to the file name then hit "save" in the lower right corner.

5 hours ago, A-M said:

I use this shortcut to copy layers.  

2 hours ago, notsosavvy said:

Ann Marie, thank you for responding. I do use windows 10,but I cannot right click in 14 to duplicate and there is no option  for delete in the lines at the top by the trash can. The ctrl J did work. How sad that adobe did not keep the simple things that work.

On my PSE 13 - right on top of the trash can is 3 horizonal lines with an arrow to the left. 
Once I activate the layer I want to duplicate, if I click on the arrow "duplicate" is one of the options.

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 3.04.31 PM.png

On 9/21/2017 at 3:01 AM, notsosavvy said:

Ann Marie, thank you for responding. I do use windows 10,but I cannot right click in 14 to duplicate and there is no option  for delete in the lines at the top by the trash can. The ctrl J did work. How sad that adobe did not keep the simple things that work.

Once you have your photo duplicated all you need to do is activate ( click on ) the original photo (not the one now saying "copy" ) in the layers panel and hit "delete" on your keyboard.  Then you will not accidentally save on top of your original photo. 

I just did some searching with Mr Google and found this :

https://www.teachucomp.com/duplicate-a-layer-in-photoshop-elements-instructions/

I just tried this with a photo in my PSE15  - drag the photo onto the little turned up corner paper logo - top of layers panel on left side.  It should be in the same place as in your program.  I might use this method more often now as that is even quicker than my Ctrl+J

Something I thought of... you are working in "expert" mode? 

12 hours ago, notsosavvy said:

Anne Marie, that worked. Thank you. Now do I delete that layer in order to keep my original?

If you have copied your photo you can just delete the original out of your program by clicking on that layer and just hit delete on your keyboard and a pop up box will ask whether you want to delete it ( this does not remove it from your computer just from in your scrapping program).  Or you can  just click on the original and drag it to the trash can. 

Now you can alter your copied photo or resize if you have placed it on a layout  etc.  

• 1 month later...

I start all my tutorials with intstructions to duplicate the image. I think this is essentially what you want to do. open your file and before you do anything else Go to File> Duplicate Image. Close your original document. Then you are free to do whatever you want. The other alternative I sometimes use is to copy everything I want to use for the layout into a working folder. But duplicating the file is simpler

Untitled-1.jpg

Archived