Tuesday Challenge 26th September

ValerieT

Whilst looking for ideas for today's challenge on the Internet, I came across quite a few word clouds. So I decided we could use the idea of a word cloud to help with our journalling.

Create any layout you wish, but the journalling must be just a list or cloud of words/phrases that you think fit the photo/s.

Post your finished layouts in the Tuesday Challenge Gallery.

2 hours ago, lorac said:

How do you create word clouds? I did an internet search, but no instructions as to how to create one.

Carol I found this - 

Word Clouds and this -- Word it Out that kind of explains them.  I'd never heard of them!

THIS article on Wikipedia also explains a bit, but it's hard to find info!    All I could see is how to generate them online, I'm not sure how to do it otherwise.

11 hours ago, lorac said:

How do you create word clouds? I did an internet search, but no instructions as to how to create one.

Carol, I found these in the store and they look very much like word clouds:

http://store.scrapgirls.com/Sweet-Summer-Word-Art-Mini.html

BMU_SweetSummerText_WAMini_MKTG.jpg

3 hours ago, scrapgran said:

Here is a link to some other word cloud sites

Laraine there are some great links in there, thank you for that.

I did use a site called Wordle. It did take a little bit of sorting out but once done was fascinating in what it could do. Here is my attempt at the Challenge.
This was a great challenge Valerie, thank you.

Thankyou Valerie for a fun challenge an thank you Laraine for sharing those great websites.   You can find my layout for this challenge HERE

No matter which word cloud I try to use, they don't work. Please help me.

I want to use the shape of a butterfly

with the lyrics of the song 'Elusive Butterfly'

You might wake up some mornin'

To the sound of something moving past your window in the wind

And if you're quick enough to rise

You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow

Out on the new horizon

You may see the floating motion of a distant pair of wings

And if the sleep has left your ears

You might hear footsteps running through an open meadow

Don't be concerned, it will not harm you

It's only me pursuing somethin' I'm not sure of

Across my dreams with nets of wonder

I chase the bright elusive butterfly of love

rainbow butterfly word cloud.jpg

1 hour ago, lorac said:

No matter which word cloud I try to use, they don't work. Please help me.

I want to use the shape of a butterfly

with the lyrics of the song 'Elusive Butterfly'

You might wake up some mornin'

To the sound of something moving past your window in the wind

And if you're quick enough to rise

You'll catch a fleeting glimpse of someone's fading shadow

Out on the new horizon

You may see the floating motion of a distant pair of wings

And if the sleep has left your ears

You might hear footsteps running through an open meadow

Don't be concerned, it will not harm you

It's only me pursuing somethin' I'm not sure of

Across my dreams with nets of wonder

I chase the bright elusive butterfly of love

rainbow butterfly word cloud.jpg

Carol, I'm going to try to look at this, I really don't know anything about word clouds.   But, in my understanding I thought you had to use words, not an entire text.   And, I'm not sure that specific shapes can be chosen?

I will try to research but I'm no expert.  :hit-head-with-hammer:

I'm not sure if Valerie knows more.

3 minutes ago, MariJ said:

Carol, I'm going to try to look at this, I really don't know anything about word clouds.   But, in my understanding I thought you had to use words, not an entire text.   And, I'm not sure that specific shapes can be chosen?

I will try to research but I'm no expert.  :hit-head-with-hammer:

I'm not sure if Valerie knows more.

I managed to create a word cloud just using the lyrics to the song. But I can't get the image of the butterfly to show up. So I guess I'll just use the word cloud without the butterfly image.

39 minutes ago, lorac said:

I managed to create a word cloud just using the lyrics to the song. But I can't get the image of the butterfly to show up. So I guess I'll just use the word cloud without the butterfly image.

Oh, ok, I'm sorry I'm having a very crazy day so haven't been able to look more.   I thought that you'd have to pick the butterfly shape before putting the words in, but to be honest, I really don't know.   I'll check back again Carol.    Glad you at least got that part to work, I know it's frustrating.

Valerie,

Well this is the coolest challenge ever, this has such  great potential to be fun. It will be amazing for Art Journaling.

Here is my page.

Guys, I'm working on my layout and I ALWAYS mess up adding a photo mask.  Can anyone point me in the direction for help?  I love when people mask, but I'm an epic failure at this.  

Thanks in advance...meanwhile, back to my word cloud layout.

Leslie Ann

4 hours ago, Lesann said:

Guys, I'm working on my layout and I ALWAYS mess up adding a photo mask.  Can anyone point me in the direction for help?  I love when people mask, but I'm an epic failure at this.  

Thanks in advance...meanwhile, back to my word cloud layout.

Leslie Ann

I'm not sure if this is what I mean but I usually position my photo above the mask in the layers panel, then activate the photo by clicking on it and then "Command G" - create a clipping mask.   That's on a Mac, I can't remember what you click in place of Command on Windows.

Going and looking at my PSE 13 I see I can also go to the top menu under "Layers" and there is a "Create Clipping Mask" option you can click on.

1 hour ago, lorac said:

I tried to create another one using ABCYA.com word cloud, but I can't get it to show in PSE15 on my layout. I don't know how you gals manage to do this, but I'm having a very hard time.

Sorry, Carol.  I didn't try this one so I'm not sure what to do and I'm not familiar with word clouds.
Is your word cloud a jpeg?   Not sure if that matters, though.

6 hours ago, lorac said:

I tried to create another one using ABCYA.com word cloud, but I can't get it to show in PSE15 on my layout. I don't know how you gals manage to do this, but I'm having a very hard time.

Try sending Valerie a PM. She should be able to help you out.

12 hours ago, MariJ said:

I'm not sure if this is what I mean but I usually position my photo above the mask in the layers panel, then activate the photo by clicking on it and then "Command G" - create a clipping mask.   That's on a Mac, I can't remember what you click in place of Command on Windows.

Going and looking at my PSE 13 I see I can also go to the top menu under "Layers" and there is a "Create Clipping Mask" option you can click on.

Marj, Does the photo need to be bigger than the mask?  I think that maybe one of my issues and I never can recall this. Thanks for your help.

L

1 hour ago, Lesann said:

Marj, Does the photo need to be bigger than the mask?  I think that maybe one of my issues and I never can recall this. Thanks for your help.

L

You should resize (pull arrows) the photo larger than the mask, otherwise parts of the mask will show.
You can pull it much bigger for a closer up look, or keep it the same size.

(Ooops!  Carla and I answered at the same time!)

Archived