Celebrating a Life/Memorial Layout

ladyscrapalot

A several months ago the mother of one of my sister-in-laws past away. Shortly thereafter she asked me if I would do a layout for her to display in her house. She has seen my work that I've posted on instagram and she really likes it. Well yesterday I received a letter from her with a few photos and some other thoughts. She also mentioned she wanted to make copies for her 2 sisters for Christmas gifts. Yikes! When she first asked me I was honored and told her I would be happy to do a layout for her. However, currently I can't seem to get started on any layouts. I want to do the challenges that have been posted and I have usable photos but I can't seem to get started. Not sure why..... Can one of you come give me a swift kick in the hiney or a smack up side the head and tell me to get it together? LOL!! I'm determined to work through this some how, some way. 

Anyway I currently have one question. When my SIL first asked me to do this she mentioned something about being able to have it printed in a larger size than I've worked before, i.e. 11x14 or maybe even 16x20. I'll need to double check with her. I may have asked this before but do I started my layout at that size and the resize the background paper? Would that affect the pixelation? I'm sure I'll have other questions as this project progresses. TIA!!

If your only going up that small of an amount, from 12x12 it shouldn't effect it that much, I wouldn't go over 16x20 though.  And when you save it as the .jpg file save it at the largest sizes available.

But you'll for sure want to know what size they will print at so you can make adjustments when scrapping.  You may also suggest that she look at 12x12 frames.  There's some really nice ones, like this one:   http://amzn.to/2xzWiWB

That once the print is framed comes out to be 15x15

Here's your bonk on the head. :hit-head-with-hammer:  When I get stuck I start with some inspiration. Maybe find a layout you really like and do a scraplift of it, even though I start off that way mine never end up looking like the item I was scraplifting.

Just sit down and start throwing things on the page. Don't be afraid to delete and start again. You'll get an idea of what you like or don't like. I did that recently and had the LO almost done when I realized it just wasn't working. I started over and it came out better. Most of all, don't stress about it...you'll drive yourself nuts. And if you want, you can post it here and we can offer suggestions!

I've got a similar situation going here where someone asked me to create a special page and that's enough to make me VERY nervous!  I think that because we put so much of ourselves into our work, we want it to be special and reflect that, especially when it's for someone else and it means a lot.
Normally when I'm in this situation, I do what Carla said - I just start....    Just start throwing things on a page and playing with them, moving them around, etc.....    Sometimes I don't like it at first, rarely have I had to totally ditch it, but sometimes I DO ask for help and opinions (also as Carla said) and there's usually that one moment where all of a sudden I feel in my gut that it's going to work.  Think how pleased you'll be then!

Hmmmmm.....  I'm wanting to say if you start yours, I'll start mine, but I'm not sure I'm ready with other life going on!  
START!!!  That's the first step and for me the hardest.  Once you figure out size, start a blank page, look a background papers and you're off!  

It is probably the artist in you that is saying, "but it won't be good enough." Every time I was asked to do a special canvas for someone (when I painted) I never could do it. It just froze me up, otherwise I slapped paint like nothing mattered. I regret some of the assignments I turned down, but that's the way it was.

The answer to this-I don't know! You do very good work, and if it doesn't turn out as you wished, she will probably think oh that's beautiful.:rolleyes:

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

There's a hug for each of you!!! Thank you each for your comments and encouragement!! So yesterday, well actually the last week or so, work has been so hectic and stressful. I was tempted to walk out the door yesterday but pushed through. When I got home I just couldn't unwind, even after trying all my go to tricks. Around 1 am I had an emotional meltdown and I think I was able to finally release all that stress. I think I'm ready to give this a go!!!! I'm paraphrasing Nike and saying JUST SCRAP IT!!!! For sure I will keep you posted on my progress. 

2 hours ago, ladyscrapalot said:

There's a hug for each of you!!! Thank you each for your comments and encouragement!! So yesterday, well actually the last week or so, work has been so hectic and stressful. I was tempted to walk out the door yesterday but pushed through. When I got home I just couldn't unwind, even after trying all my go to tricks. Around 1 am I had an emotional meltdown and I think I was able to finally release all that stress. I think I'm ready to give this a go!!!! I'm paraphrasing Nike and saying JUST SCRAP IT!!!! For sure I will keep you posted on my progress. 

GO Kelly!   :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

And, yes - please let us know how it's coming!   :bighug:

I posted this on a different thread but it should probably go here:

OH! It just hit me! What about a double spread? 12X24 is that doable?  That might look weird, unless I used a more plain textured bg? Hmmmm I may have to think on that. I might be trying to bite off more than I can chew.......

1 hour ago, ladyscrapalot said:

I posted this on a different thread but it should probably go here:

OH! It just hit me! What about a double spread? 12X24 is that doable?  That might look weird, unless I used a more plain textured bg? Hmmmm I may have to think on that. I might be trying to bite off more than I can chew.......

I think that size would work if it did for you!  It can give you more space for photos and extras and whatever you'd like to put on.  It just occured to me, that maybe your sister in law might like to write something short about her Mom you could include if you had extra space?

I'm also intrigued wondering how it would look if you 24x12?   Not sure if I'm saying this correctly or if it's what you meant, but I mean if it was shorter (12") across and then longer (24") down?   Sort of like a poster?  

1 hour ago, ladyscrapalot said:

Poster view? That could be interesting! I've been giving it some thought and think for this project I better stick with 12x12. I am however, intrigued with doing a 12x24 either vertically or horizontally. Think I need to add that to my project list. 

I know, right?  I was amazing myself thinking of it, that I never had and that it was kinda intriguing!   :hit-head-with-hammer:

On 9/29/2017 at 9:20 AM, ladyscrapalot said:

I think we all need Just Scrap It on a t-shirt!

So this is what I've come up with so far. I'm not calling it done yet but I did have some concerns. 1. I have problemS with sizing things. I'm working on a small screen so I think it looks alright but then I have it printed; it looks too big. 2. Does the page curl look out of place or weird? I've never done paper stacking before, not sure about the shadowing on that. 3. Do the irises look out of place behind the photos? 

Any and all comments, suggestions will be greatly appreciated. As I said I'm not done yet but wanted input before I finish. This layout will be printed out and hopefully put in 3 different households so hoping the neutral will work in any color scheme. TIA!!!

iris whitehouse.jpg

On 10/5/2017 at 9:00 AM, CRS said:

I like it, Kelly! The page curl looks natural to me. I like the neutral colors, too!

Thank you, Carla! I've added some more embellies. I'm going to sleep on it for a day or two then probably call it done. Unless....: lol!

On 10/5/2017 at 9:57 AM, ladyscrapalot said:

So this is what I've come up with so far. I'm not calling it done yet but I did have some concerns. 1. I have problemS with sizing things. I'm working on a small screen so I think it looks alright but then I have it printed; it looks too big. 2. Does the page curl look out of place or weird? I've never done paper stacking before, not sure about the shadowing on that. 3. Do the irises look out of place behind the photos? 

Any and all comments, suggestions will be greatly appreciated. As I said I'm not done yet but wanted input before I finish. This layout will be printed out and hopefully put in 3 different households so hoping the neutral will work in any color scheme. TIA!!!

iris whitehouse.jpg

So sorry I missed this and just saw it now, Kelly!  I like your photos and arrangements and I really like the iris behind the photo and the brushed one on the paper.   the colors look soft and pretty and your right - I think they will go with any decor.   Your title is touching and so true.    You've done a really special job here....

22 minutes ago, lindarobin said:

Beautiful arrangement and color choice!   I was wondering about a masked/blended photo of her, filling a good part of the background.   When I've made layouts for other people, masked/blended photo backgrounds really impressed.

That's a great idea, Kelly.   Kind of like that one I did of Jody?

Great to see you Linda! :)

Wow, great job, Kelly. These personal projects for others are the hardest sometimes, but I think you nailed it here.

Archived