October Challenge Chase

April Showers

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, once and for all, are we using the Newsletter challenge on Tuesdays for our Challenge Chase?  Or will there be a separate one posted? I'm confused b/c I see lorac which is carol backwards, right? (nice layout, BTW) posted one for week 4 about Halloween.

Hugs, Leslie Ann

1 hour ago, Lesann said:

Okay, once and for all, are we using the Newsletter challenge on Tuesdays for our Challenge Chase?  Or will there be a separate one posted? I'm confused b/c I see lorac which is carol backwards, right? (nice layout, BTW) posted one for week 4 about Halloween.

Hugs, Leslie Ann

Yes, we use the Tuesday Challenge and the Weekend Challenge, though I don't judge how clearly they are interpreted. It doesn't matter which challenge you post each week, so you could post the Week 2 Tuesday Challenge in Week 4. ;) They do need to be posted in the correct galleries though. I'll be going through everything tomorrow and will send the list of finishers to Angie. The first is Club Day, so we'll give her some time before she sends out your coupons.

I'll also be posting the November Challenge Chase thread tomorrow.

14 hours ago, Lesann said:

Hi April, I don’t see my week 4 posted on the tracker.

Happy Halloween to all.... Leslie Ann

I was sewing all week long and didn't get the tracker updated on the forum, though it did get updated on my computer. I'm in the midst of getting a larger (6TB) hard drive put in for my D drive and my darling unhooked my F (Scrapbook) drive to do the data transfer.

5 hours ago, April Showers said:

I was sewing all week long and didn't get the tracker updated on the forum, though it did get updated on my computer. I'm in the midst of getting a larger (6TB) hard drive put in for my D drive and my darling unhooked my F (Scrapbook) drive to do the data transfer.

Oh, that drive sounds sweet with lots of scrapping space!   :)

8 hours ago, Lesann said:

Hugs, Leslie Ann

Yeppers! Lorac is Carol backwards.

9 hours ago, April Showers said:

Oh, sewing, I love to sew. The bigger HD will be awesome. Thanks for all you do for us :)

16 hours ago, MariJ said:

Oh, that drive sounds sweet with lots of scrapping space!   :)

I actually have a different 2TB drive for my scrapping stuff. It is my photos that have been filling up the other drive. The raw files on Thomas's new camera are huge. And the video is takes is fabulous, but the files... wow! 

52 minutes ago, April Showers said:

If you didn't see it on Instagram or facebook. Here is a photo of our costumes.

IMG_20171031_180853_081.jpg

April you did an amazing job of those outfits!!? I love the colour of yours  and that jacket of your DH is awesome Well done you!!!?

1 hour ago, April Showers said:

Wow, what a job. This was more than for Halloween, I'm guessing.  Huge amount of work, you both look smashing.  

9 minutes ago, Ngaire said:

April you did an amazing job of those outfits!!? I love the colour of yours  and that jacket of your DH is awesome Well done you!!!?

7 minutes ago, Lesann said:

Wow, what a job. This was more than for Halloween, I'm guessing.  Huge amount of work, you both look smashing.  

Actually, it was just for a Halloween dinner party. I just made them for fun. Seriously could have worn last year's costumes...or the year before's.

DSC_1310 as Smart Object-1.jpgDSC_5918-edit.jpg

8 hours ago, April Showers said:

This is absolutely gorgeous. You certainly can sew. My mother sewed and made me and my sister lots of clothes, even a spring coat. When there was a bridal shower, she would make dresses for the dolls in the same colors and design as what the bridesmaids were going to wear. Me! I'm lucky I can sew buttons on and hope they stay on. I think I have a photo somewhere of the dolls that she did for my cousin Ginny's bridal shower.

7 hours ago, April Showers said:

Actually, it was just for a Halloween dinner party. I just made them for fun. Seriously could have worn last year's costumes...or the year before's.

DSC_1310 as Smart Object-1.jpgDSC_5918-edit.jpg

Oh My! What gorgeous outfits these are.

Just now, lorac said:

This is absolutely gorgeous. You certainly can sew. My mother sewed and made me and my sister lots of clothes, even a spring coat. When there was a bridal shower, she would make dresses for the dolls in the same colors and design as what the bridesmaids were going to wear. Me! I'm lucky I can sew buttons on and hope they stay on. I think I have a photo somewhere of the dolls that she did for my cousin Ginny's bridal shower.

That's really awesome Carol and how cool to had doll dresses!

4 hours ago, lorac said:

My mother made our clothes and doll clothes too. I did the same for my girls. Those dolls sound beautiful and I'd love to see the photo.

8 hours ago, lorac said:

Oh My! What gorgeous outfits these are.

Unbelievable. Where did you learn to do this kind of complicated sewing. 

Mom worked at Selznick studios in the costume department. Her mother used to make clothes without patterns! (During the depression)

Mom made my brother and I matching clothes for fashion shows and my Barbie doll had one as well. She made my wedding dress and all my prom clothes, Easter clothes, suits for interviews.  Now I can't find a pattern that fits. Sizes are weird. 

1 hour ago, Lesann said:

Unbelievable. Where did you learn to do this kind of complicated sewing. 

Mom worked at Selznick studios in the costume department. Her mother used to make clothes without patterns! (During the depression)

Mom made my brother and I matching clothes for fashion shows and my Barbie doll had one as well. She made my wedding dress and all my prom clothes, Easter clothes, suits for interviews.  Now I can't find a pattern that fits. Sizes are weird. 

I have a degree in Theatre with a Costume Design emphasis which gave me all but one class for a minor in Clothing & Textiles. Couture Techniques and Tailoring were required classes for my major.

You'll find that the pattern sizes are not vanity sized the same way the other clothes you buy are. Some pattern companies allow more "ease" than others. You'll wear a smaller size in Vogue than you will in McCalls. A size 4 in the stores is a 10 in most patterns. 

My Mom used to make dresses for our dolls. I never liked them because my friends always bought their dolls dresses from the store. We didn't have much money when I was a child, so this always made me feel sad that I couldn't get store bought doll dresses. But I didn't mind when she made me and my sister clothes. I always felt special then. Go figure.

8 hours ago, lorac said:

My Mom used to make dresses for our dolls. I never liked them because my friends always bought their dolls dresses from the store. We didn't have much money when I was a child, so this always made me feel sad that I couldn't get store bought doll dresses. But I didn't mind when she made me and my sister clothes. I always felt special then. Go figure.

Oh, that's funny, but I can relate.   My Mom always made us Halloween costumes, she didn't sew but she either got help or put something together that was done so nicely.   Yet, all I ever wanted was those shiny, sorta-cheapy costumes and masks!

I also used to envy the little girl upstairs from my Grandmother's that used to get the dolls sent from cereal box tops.  My Mom told me later years that was all that poor little girl would get.     Go figure is right.

Archived