Collection or Photo...what do you start with?

angleigh

What do you usually start your pages with?   Are you one that sees a kit (or other item) and falls in love with it and goes looking for photos to go with it.  Or do you start with photos and then go searching for the perfect kit for it?

I almost always start with the photo and then go looking for a collection.    Very (very) occasionally I'll buy a new collection and go looking for a photo so I can use it, but now I think of it - I usually BUY the collection with that photo in mind!  

I'm the same as Marilyn. I usually buy collections with photos in mind. Once in awhile, I'll buy a collection or embellishment pack because I know I'll get a lot of use out of it, like Scrap Simple products. I think of those as my "toolbox" items, lol.

I buy the collections because I can't resist and luckily still have Picassa so it's relatively easy to find what I need when I'm building a page.  

When I'm in a challenge I use what is required, but when I'm just doing it for me, I find a photo, then the embellies and paper I need.  And then if I don't have what I think I want, I shop specifically for it.

Hugs to all from a very rainy and cold Boulder, CO.

I usually start with the photo or photos. I buy collections by the fact that they have something I can use in most LO's or something that is my style so could be used later on.

3 hours ago, angleigh said:

I'm for sure a "I love it" type of buyer.  If I love something I have to have it...even if I don't have pictures.  LOL

I start a layout with the photo, always.  I buy collections because I love them and have to have them!  (regardless of whether or not I have photos to go with it!)

3 hours ago, angleigh said:

I'm for sure a "I love it" type of buyer.  If I love something I have to have it...even if I don't have pictures.  LOL

I do that also, Angie. If I love something, I have to have it. That's why my EHD is so full of collections.

Yep, I buy things because I love them. Hence the gazillion hoodies in my closet (although they all go w/jeans, so that's easy-peasy!) I keep making rules for myself like, no more purchases until you make a layout from your last purchase. But then b/c I'm the boss, I break that rule without 2nd thought. Like I really want Syndee's new club LOL! 

Almost always, I start with the photos. But occasionally, I will go to my tagging system of choice (ACDSee) and choose one of the kits that I've basically tagged, "I love this and must figure out where to use it!" and go from there.

I, like Angie and Conda, often MUST have a kit, whether I think I have photos to use with it yet or not. LOL. I can always take pics to fit it later, right?! ;)

Most times the photos come first in my choices. 

But if I see a collection with a theme that I definitely know I will use sometime and I like the collection, I will buy it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On October 2, 2017 at 7:52 PM, SodScrap said:

I start a layout with the photo, always.  I buy collections because I love them and have to have them!  (regardless of whether or not I have photos to go with it!)

Me too. If I love it, the colors, if it has some solid or textured paper, that sort of thing. :) However, over half of my MANY collections either have not been used or only a paper or element used. Many of my collections are retired and I still haven't used them. I need to stop that! :)

I buy a collection only now if I LOVE it. I have so many. I have spent the last three days getting rid of things off of Pixa. I grabbed anything and everything I could get my hands on when I first started digital scrapping. I also love actions to make my scrapping more interesting. I would love if some of the talented designer would make more actions for Photoshop Elements. I love the spotted pictures I have seen but you have to have Photoshop. And styles...I can't get enough. More than you asked for, right Angie?

• 5 weeks later...

I do a little of both. With my Creative Team duties, of course it has to be that I have the kit and I go looking for the perfect picture/s for it. 

If I'm scrapping for myself, I choose the picture and then go looking for the kit that's perfect for it. 

On 10/2/2017 at 5:16 PM, diannecp said:

Yep, I buy things because I love them. Hence the gazillion hoodies in my closet (although they all go w/jeans, so that's easy-peasy!) I keep making rules for myself like, no more purchases until you make a layout from your last purchase. But then b/c I'm the boss, I break that rule without 2nd thought. Like I really want Syndee's new club LOL! 

I am very much like you as well - but I'm trying to stop buying so darned much unless I have a photo in mind. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2017 at 4:02 PM, angleigh said:

Me too!  If I fall in love with paper or elements, I HAVE to have them.  LOL

I chose Collections because something catches my eye and love it....but with a LO I chose Photos and find the Colors that are perfect with them

Archived