Help With Using The Photo Bin

VeronicaS

Hi Ladies, hopefully some can help me out. I've just gotten V14 of Elements and I haven't used PSE since I think version 9 and even then I think I only openend it to answer a few questions a customer had.

Ok so I'm starting to film some of my tutorials in Elements because I realize many scrappers use it and I can see why it's really fun and easy. That being said it is a bit different than Photoshop.

So here is my question...

When you open a bunch of photos etc in the Photo Bin every single window also opens in viewing area (not sure if that's the term) but you know your main work space. I would never open 10 or 20 documents in Photoshop because it would just eat up my processing power.

So how do I add the photos to the photo bin without having them all open as a separate document? I thought this was just the way it was done but then I was watching a tutorial on YouTube and I saw a woman with about 26 files in the clip bin but they didn't appear to be on her workspace. Was I just imagining this? Now I can't even remember the tutorial I saw....

Hi Veronica, I work in PSE 13 on a Mac and it's true, all the photos stay open in the work space.  I don't know how to make that not happen, but I'm hoping someone else does so I'll be watching this thread.

Looking forward to your tutorials!

Hi Veronica, I work in PSE 11 and 14. They both work the same way. I hope I'm understanding your question OK.

When I open a bunch of files, they all show up in the work space. I can also see them in the photo bin at the bottom of the page and I just minimize the ones I don't need right away so they are now just in the photo bin at the bottom. I've never found that the computer or PSE slows down in any way by opening a bunch of files in PSE at one time. Usually the only time I open a bunch of files at one time,however, is if I need a bunch of letters from an alpha in order to form a word. Sometimes I'll open a bunch of  photos. It's never seemed to be a problem.

Good  luck! I'm so glad to hear you'll be doing tutorials in PSE! Usually we can follow the directions given in Photoshop, but, as you probably know, we can't do everything and often not in the same way.

Excellent! now the only question is how do I minimize it? I only see an x on the documents which closes them. In PS there is an option to minimize, maximize or close but elements only has close...i'm so confused lol

is this how yours looks? I tried separating the document to see if there were more options but it wouldn't let me do that. How do i get a floating document? lol sorry to confuse you but i don't know what the heck is going on

Capture.JPG

I right-clicked on the file and chose Open with PSE 14 from the drop down menu. But it looks the same if I open PSE 14 then go to File > Open. One idea is maybe go to File > Edit > Preferences > General and be sure "Allow Floating Documents in Expert Mode" and also "Enable Floating Document Window Docking" are checked. I don't know if that  makes a hill of beans of difference, but they are checked in my PSE.  I would also send a private message to one of our members, BarbaraC1977. She's an Adobe expert! Good luck with this. I sure hope you can get it figured  out!

lol yep! and oh my gosh this minimize is GREAT! once you minimize they literally dissapear. In PS they simply dock to the bottom of the workspace and can still get in the way. this is awesome thanks so much!

On 10/25/2017 at 11:46 PM, alsoarty said:

You’re further than I am in PSE I keep buying the newer version, and then never use it. I need to learn myself. Way to go to all who are able to help Veronica. 

lol why don't you use it?

I'm so glad I read this thread. Ever since I got PSE15 I struggled with a workplace set up that I didn't like but now I have is like I had on 14.

Once again SG to the rescue!!!

On 11/3/2017 at 7:31 AM, Boatlady said:

I'm so glad I read this thread. Ever since I got PSE15 I struggled with a workplace set up that I didn't like but now I have is like I had on 14.

Once again SG to the rescue!!!

lol it's what we live for

On 10/25/2017 at 11:46 PM, alsoarty said:

You’re further than I am in PSE I keep buying the newer version, and then never use it. I need to learn myself. Way to go to all who are able to help Veronica. 

I feel you. it's hard to use something else when you are so used to using something

Archived