PNG files

Mikelle

I've been sorting through my years of Scrap Simple supplies - it's wonderful all the things I've discovered!  But, I've noticed that many of the templates, especially the embellishment templates, have a PSD file, plus folders of the individual png files.  I only ever use the PSD files - where all of the png's already are layered, and I can use them or hide them as needed.  I just bought Brandy's 2018 Blenders calendar, and when I downloaded it, I noticed for the png folders she had a message saying it wasn't necessary to download those... I've been wondering about this for some time, thinking all those folders of png's are just taking up room on my EHD since I only use the PSD files, but I've been hesitant to delete them.   

So, finally, my question:  Is there any reason to keep all of those individual png's? This question of course only applies to SS templates that also have a PSD file (some of the LYO - Layer Your Own - supplies come only in png).  I use Photoshop CS6, and probably will stick with Photoshop forever, so I don't anticipate using a program where I couldn't use the PSD files.  Thanks ahead of time for your input!

You have hit the nail on the head, Mikelle. I don't even download the png files when there is a corresponding psd file. The time to be careful, though, is with paper templates - sometimes some of the files are only in png, but in the same paper template set there will be one or more files that also has a psd file. Just make certain that if, for example, there are 6 paper templates in the set, that you end up with 6 different paper templates, whether they be png or psd files.

Good point Cheri!

And Mikelle... those png files are for people who don't use Photoshop. We started including those years and years ago, I am sure some people might use them, but most don't. For my Calendars the PSD's are all you need.

I made that note because for some reason the PNG files are huge...like really huge. So don't waste your hard drive space if you don't need to. Thanks so much for posting.. I am sure other people might have wondered the same thing.

Great, thanks to both of you for replying!  I'm not in danger yet of my EHD filling up (DH keeps accommodating my digital hoarding), but unlike my house, I like my digital world to be nice and clean and organized, without clutter.  I'll go back through the SS supplies, and before I delete any png folders, I'll make sure I have the corresponding PSD's.  

Thanks for this thread Mikelle and for the great answers, they have me thinking.  I'm always trying to save space on my hard drive.  I remember Jody saying she never saved the pngs but I never understood why.  Now I'm thinking that even if I get crazy deleting anything I can at least go through my stash and move the png files to an EHD and from the sound of it, free up some of my space, thanks! 

That is if I ever get my laptop and supplies up and running again. 

If given the choice, I don't download the PNG files either.  Where they are downloaded, I usually pull all the PSD's into the top level folder for the item and delete all the PNG folders.  It looks neat and clean in Picasa when in the folder view, and any layer can be pulled out if needed.

I always look for the PSD files, as I prefer them to the PNGs. I wish more SS Papers had PSDs. I'm cleaning out my EHD and my hard drive, so the PNGs will be deleted as long as I have the matching PSDs.

I'm also cleaning out my photos from my EHD. I have so many duplicates and/or similar photos from the Botanical Garden, especially in the Rose Garden as well as from Fall Foliage Cruises on the Hudson River. This will take a long time to clean out, but it will be worth it in the end.

1 hour ago, lorac said:

I always look for the PSD files, as I prefer them to the PNGs. I wish more SS Papers had PSDs. I'm cleaning out my EHD and my hard drive, so the PNGs will be deleted as long as I have the matching PSDs.

I'm also cleaning out my photos from my EHD. I have so many duplicates and/or similar photos from the Botanical Garden, especially in the Rose Garden as well as from Fall Foliage Cruises on the Hudson River. This will take a long time to clean out, but it will be worth it in the end.

I need to do this as well!

I started going back through just my SSEmb folder, and I noticed I have to really check to be sure I'm only deleting png's that are in a corresponding PSD.  Some of the embellishment sets have a mix of individual png elements and PSD/png elements.  For now I think I'll still download the png folders when I buy new SS sets, check them closely, and then delete the png files I don't need.  So far I've been through only a fraction of my SS stash, and already my EHD is down half a GB!

On 10/27/2017 at 4:42 PM, MariJ said:

Thanks for this thread Mikelle and for the great answers, they have me thinking.  I'm always trying to save space on my hard drive.  I remember Jody saying she never saved the pngs but I never understood why.  Now I'm thinking that even if I get crazy deleting anything I can at least go through my stash and move the png files to an EHD and from the sound of it, free up some of my space, thanks! 

That is if I ever get my laptop and supplies up and running again. 

When you get your laptop back you will be very busy, making pages, emailing people and then cleaning up. Good luck

17 hours ago, Brandy M said:

Good point Gayle... I know with CC you can no longer see a thumbnail of what's in the PSD file, you have to open bridge. I don't know if it is the same with PSE...So I do see how that can be helpful.

I've noticed this in CS6, as well - many of the PSD files don't show on the thumbnail.  A lot of them have corresponding jpg's labeled "preview", though, so that might help, although I didn't pick up on it until I'd deleted several of those, too.  And then, to Gayle's comment, I agree... as I've been deleting png's, the digital hoarder in me kept seeing various png's that would make great masks or blending pieces by themselves, and I thought about dropping them into a folder together.  Then I thought, "No, Hoarder, you must stop this!"  :rolleyes:  It doesn't take long for my PS to open PSD files.  I figure I'll just do that to see what's in them, if I want to see what they look like (if I'm looking for something specific).

• 4 weeks later...

I download the png file and then go through them and pull out the images I would like to use separately, such as masks, some clusters. individual flowers I may especially like etc. I them put them in a separate category folders where I can find them without having to go through psd files to find them. If I especially like something, usually a mask, and there isn't a corresponding png I will make one to put into my mask folder.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:40 PM, scrapgarden said:

I download the png file and then go through them and pull out the images I would like to use separately, such as masks, some clusters. individual flowers I may especially like etc. I them put them in a separate category folders where I can find them without having to go through psd files to find them. If I especially like something, usually a mask, and there isn't a corresponding png I will make one to put into my mask folder.

I do that too Lynn.....I'm going through everything and converting the PSD to TIF file.....then you can delete the JPEG too

Archived